Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One aspect of nomadic life that’s not frequently discussed – how to keep yourself occupied.

One can be blase’ and say “by doing the things you want to do” And to some extent that shoe will fit the foot....

But..... That too can lead you down a rabbit hole and stretch your resources / finances beyond recovery

With that in mind, prepping to be a nomad has to include leisure activities, and one of those is, of course, fishing.....

Yonks ago, When I was ripped / bronzed / good-looking & poor as a church mouse < Now I’m just poor> I used to go river rafting.... Got me a class 5 river rapid inflatable and did the Orange river a few times, and while THAT was enormously exciting, It’s also a lot of jolly hard effort..... Not something I wanna be relying on as an activity when I’m in my 60+ and all my ipped-edness / bronzed good looks have sagged to above my belt.....

Nowadays fishing? Well that’s a whole lot more do-able.

A fully inflatable suites my needs, I don’t have to deal with the packing issues of a ridged hull, and as it’s actually a damn fine boat, I didn’t see the need to spend big bucks getting a “conventional- rear transom fully inflatable duck” I simply re-purposed my inflatable river rapid canoe as part of my fishing gear, by designing a removable transom & fitting a 35Lb trawling motor

Must say I’m chuffed... With the motor sitting outboard on one side makes it comfortable to tiller-control, 30Lb gives me plenty power to deal with headwinds, and a 110 Deep cycle battery gives me plenty of oomph and with my 300W suitcase solar panel, I can keep the battery fully charged.

But what is really nice is it’s so quiet ------ no motor noise -----

Small downside is with no keel the boat “drifts” but so what, a small adjustment on the motor & I’m running in the right direction.

It also gives me the alternative of looking into other nomadic activities / pass-times ----- “canoe – camping”, "bass fishing"..... Mmmmmmmm

So, without any further ADO, and, for them what’s interested, here are pics of the mod...

SQUARE BAR, ONE END BENT INTO HOOKS THAT FIT INTO TABS GLUED TO THE SIDE OF THE PONTOON

NOT A BAD BAG --- COULD LIVE OFF THIS

PRETTY MUCH - MY BOG STANDARD FISHING SET-UP & GEAR

SCAVANGING OTHER FISHERMANS LOST TACKLE ---- FUN ! USEFULL & DIRT CHEAP! 😁

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have done the same thing. Great post. Love my canoe. Have thought of getting a Sea Eagle or Oru kayak. Lots of stealth camping locations where I live.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts