Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I delved into having a class 5 river rapid canoe, and why for me it’s fits my foot, ,also, that I might have given one of you fellas an alternative type of craft to take into consideration.....

But, with an inflatable comes a right-royal P.I.T.A. ---- Inflating it !

So, here is my solution.... And no jokes, I can inflate it faster than most fellas can crack & drink a “frostie”

Sorry I don’t have a picture, I’ll try my best, If someone has questions – only too glad to give more detail.

Simply, I cannibalised a CO2 Fire-extinguisher for the cone, cut of a piece of old rubber-fire hose about 2M long and out of a piece of suitable metal pipe, hand-made (hacksaw / file / baby hand grinder) a copy of the bayonet fitting that is used on inflatable’s

Inflating procedure: - (Intensely difficult)

Step 1 unfold boat behind tug...

Step 2 switch on tug & crack your “frostie”

Step 3 Connect the bayonet fitting to the inflating valve on the first compartment (there are a minimum of three compartments by law --- the boat must remain afloat on only one – a safety thing)

Step 4 Put cone from fire extinguisher over exhaust

Step 5 – Sip your “frosty”

Step 6 Hit the pontoon as hard as possible with your fist ( like it was a hammer) if you hand bounces & the sound has a ring to it, you are hard enough

Step 7 & 8 same as for 6

Step 9 Finish your “frostie” your P.I.TA. Has evaporated !

Got the idea from those inflatable air-jacks....... 🆒

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Refilling a co2 tank is not that cheap, maybe $20+?
On a lake inflatables with a flat bottom blow around a lot.
store in a tote, rodents like to chew fabric.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,973 Posts
You should post a picture.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Hmmm. Dewalt makes an inflator than runs off their 20V battery system. The Lithium batteries keep a charge fairly well for a long time. So while it does depend on electricity, I'm not sure where you'd get a CO2 refill in a grid down world anyway. And if you slip with the hose or one of the DIY fittings fails, you're done.

I don't have that Dewalt inflator. Yet. Going to get one for boat water toys. And the comfort camping mattress thing as a starter to get kids camping. Actually, the girl did an overnight in a lousy tent with weak sleep padding last summer in the backyard already anyway. But... whatever. Point is, for anyone standardized on DeWalt as their cordless battery system, worth checking out. Not sure if the other platforms have this yet. (Yes, you can always get the plug in inflators for cars, etc. But with this thing, you don't need to be near power and you can carry an extra battery.) I suppose you COULD even charge it with a solar setup, though it would probably take awhile.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@dmas Hi There... I'm inflating the boat, not a co2 tank............

@ScottPreps --- An inflator is just another thing I have to carry --- and space hungry --- this is just a pipe that get's stowed ontop of the boat in it's bag

1 - 5 of 5 Posts