Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning all so its been a long time since İ posted regards me prepping to become nomadic - that is to say mostly nomadic

Did a lot of improving some things small and some things big

Small things mounting a ripstop canvas bag on the side of my roofrack for my fishing rods
Big thing was fabricating the süing out bracket for my toübar luggage rack and mounting the luggage rack
İ also got my blackout curtains back from the tailor üho edged them - sorry İ got so üound up in the luggage box İ diddnt take photos of them finished
İ also got a tifur hand üinch commonly called a come-along or wire rope hand winch which İ now have to practice üith

Anyhoü some photos

Tifur winch

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, the above post got all mixed up and the photos are not in sequence --- But I think you get what's what --- ADMIN HELP Please put photos in groups
Tufur winc
Wiks towbar luggage box then fishing rod bag !

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,640 Posts
I see you have holes drilled into the handle of the pick axe. That is worrisome. I have never seen that done, does it weaken the handle? Having the head fly off woukd concern me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there, thanks for posting in, a valid question
There is a steel tang that runs from the front to the back of the handle, around which the plastic is moulded.
Thus the hole goes through the steel, which gives the handle it’s strength

·
Registered
134 Posts
To answer the above question, drilling a hole in steel will weaken it but probably not to the point of affecting the pick/ax to do it's job. I would add some plastic like tool handle dip to the edges of the pick/ax to prevent rust. It will peel off when used.

The hand winch is awesome, used one in Australia but they are heavy. You still need a chain of equal strength to anchor the winch. Since using that, I prefer winches that don't roll up the line but rather just feed it through like a capstan.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,640 Posts
Yeah, I would gladly trade my clunky one piece "come a long" winch for that style. The come a long is very fiddly and requires frequent adjustment to get it played out. Then while winnding in if it has only an inch of slack you must start over. Then reeling it back in is a PITA as the design was really not thought out. It is also a dangerous set up requiring you to get your fingers into the works under tension.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas for the in-put

In my evolution in prepping to be a nomad which has been many years now, My previous landy was a 90 Def with all the bells and wistles, Including diff-locker on the rear dif and a 1000Lb Warn on the front ---- See Pic

But in all honesty, the only time I ever actually used it was to recover some other dude --- and that was over some 7 - 9 years !

The problem I had the the 90 was it's internal length, and after many permutations of roof top tent / trailer / ETC It was just not long enough for me to be able to do what I wanted to do which is berth inside. <part of my prepping journey> --- But I've posted about that previously

And so I came to the Disco, which, is long enough to berth iside but did not have a winch on the front. For me to fit a winch will require a winch mount front bull - bar / bumper R30 000 + the winch R11 000 + having it fitted +- R5 000 all in about R46 000 - 50 000 ZAR ----------- Nope.......................

So this for me is a cost effective alternative --- Although only 2,5T single line load I can trebble line the rigging and thus decrease the line load to around 7 T --- More than enough to help myself out

Yes the downside is the effort needed but when you are on a budget everything's a trade-off

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
To answer the above question, drilling a hole in steel will weaken it but probably not to the point of affecting the pick/ax to do it's job. I would add some plastic like tool handle dip to the edges of the pick/ax to prevent rust. It will peel off when used.

The hand winch is awesome, used one in Australia but they are heavy. You still need a chain of equal strength to anchor the winch. Since using that, I prefer winches that don't roll up the line but rather just feed it through like a capstan.
One advantage to the winch shown is you can use a line of infinite length. The line feeds in the front, and out thru the back. And the tension on your line is always evenly distributed, not wrapped around a drum. Central Scrutinizer is right, they are far superior in function to a “come along” style cable hoist.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Morning Wyomike

Well, there's a thing, I've got some reserching to do --- I thought that one of the terms used to describe my winch was a "come-along"! But ----------- There we go, Prepping is learning as well --- I remember being one of a group of guys, way back in 1975 / 6 / 7 <thereabouts> in the army when this was used to erect a signals mast for a Diapole antenna at Baganie
<on the border of SWA & Caprivi in South West Africa> but I diddn't actually use it, my job was getting radio contact ---- So I got's me some 'practicin to do as well ---

No immediate rush, right now the higher priority is my luggage box and the accompanying mini scooter, which I get on this up-comming Saturday <it's being serviced> --- <see pic of one that's the same as the one I'm getting >....

As for the luggage box, I don't know if it will actually work --------- YET-------

One has these ideas, tries them, most work, some don't ---- So although it looks pretty awful in white, and, certainly not stealth, I want to use it for a while---- go on a long road trip, include some gravel roading and if it works for me, THEN I'll change the color ----

I'm thinking to have a military - beige color PVC bag made to slip over the top, velcro-ed on the underside at the bottom & a zip around the top to access. This will afford both protection & waterproofing...

As for the Mini scooter, this is a prepping evolution from a bicycle, and my GBHB which, currently is a 75L backpack removably attached to a golf cart, so that it can be toted or carted.

With the bycycle & backpack idea, I'm not able to combine the two --- Transportation in case of a remote breakdown with survival gear for 72H --- Given that I'll be walking.

BUT with a motorised means of transport, I won't need to gear up for 72H, so a much smaller resource arrangement would suffice, as the scooter would be much faster and less effort by a long margine ---

My biggest concern, is where to stow the mini scooter, I envisioned to mount it on the lid of the luggage box ------ Saturday will be the first time the luggage box and mini scooter are introduced to each other ----- Big day ----

All part of prepping --- trial & error ----- & rather a lot of fun

Mine's the same as the pic, able to get to 50Km/H 2 speed gearbox, one range for uphill & one for flat, with a small day-pack I think it's a better and way less effort-expenditure option.

Keep you all updated.....

Idea mini scooter 1.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morning drobs
I posted all about that in SOUTH AFRICA BURNS in the political thread ---- As for me personally? Both where I work & where I live I saw no activity, but I was affected in small ways.

I tend to be clever and stay strictly away from no-go areas such as Hillbrow / Jeppie ETC ETC.....

RGDS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SEEMED LIKE IT WAS A GOOD IDEA ---- THEN A BAD IDEA --- GOT IT SORTED, <Now it's a good idea>
By the time I had finished mounting my towhitch luggage box, I did not have time to test the set-up and I was one eva-so-proud-puppy, done a fantastic job of re-purposing a swing-away spare wheel mount and the thing was on. <been a long time comming>

Yesterday I loaded it up with what I want to use it for < bulky stuff that's inside my MBOL <mobile bug out location> and took it for a test drive ---

SPECTACULAR FAIL !!

It "bounces" there is too much flex between the reciever & the bracket .... So much so I had to stop & rig a ratchet strap around it, anchored to the spare on the rear door

Got home, and together with the chap who helped me re-purpose the swing out bracket, we engineered a third attachment point at the top of the luggage box --- There where the slotted square tube is --- Reversed the old wheel attachment, made a stud through the Landy's spare wheel into the rear door spare wheel mounting - sorry no pic, I'll try for Monday

SPECTACUALAR RESULTS !

It is rock solid ----- Now I'm going to "live with it" for a while do at least one camp-out, then I'll have a military-brown PVC bag made for it with a zip arouond the top for access --- Quote comes in at R1800 ZAR ---

Looked in on my minin scooter --- will be ready come Saturday waiting for rear brake pads --- Then the scooter & the luggage box meet --- Let's see how THAT plays out

And so it goes with prepping ---- Takes time, you gotta work with it ----

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I have never seen a hand winch like that but I use come a longs all the time for long pulls and the need to reset every 5-10 feet can get annoying. Something like that where a person can lay out a cable as long as they have and make one long pull looks like it could be nice to have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts