Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have the problem of buying a mega supply of one item, then buying a mega supply of another item, and so on. The net result is that I have a huge supply...of darned few things. At one point, I was using the method recommended by the LDS. When you go shopping, just buy a few extra items of what you would normally buy. Put them in storage. Granted, I could hold out quite comfortably for a month. But my goal is 42 months.

And I'm having trouble finding sources for bulk items that I still need. That are reasonably priced. Powdered milk at the grocery, in the smaller boxes, is about the price of fresh milk. At 2 gallons a week, times 42 months, that's about 360 gallons. Times $3.00 a gallon, over $1,000. There's got to be a cheaper way. I watched a YouTube video about powdered milk (I think it was an LDS member) and the hostess suggested a not-so-instant milk was cheaper. And I would think the LDS cannery might have powdered milk in cans already.

Same with powdered eggs. Is there such a thing as cheap powdered eggs?

I started buying canned chicken, spam, and beef. And I've been cooking and dehydrating hamburger as I get the opportunity. But as someone else stated, prepping ain't cheap!

I seriously hope I have another year before the SHTF, but next month is worrying me. It could begin the great turmoil I fear and make things much more difficult.

Suggestions?

David

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Why in the world are you going for 42 months of food? Cut it in half or more and start learning how to raise and grow your own. Enough food to make it through a year can get you to your own harvest, or through raising your own meat animals or allow you to hunt or fish to replenish, having some extra is not a bad idea but to achieve sustainability is a much better one

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
I hope the first thing you mega purchased was ammunition. That`ll insure you get to keep the rest of your mega purchases. ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Instead of powdered eggs, can you keep a couple of chickens? You could even put them in a small dog house with a kennel.

I know powdered milk is the same price as regular milk. But, let me tell you how it has been a good thing for us. We have had several times in the last few years when I didn't even have $3 for a gallon of milk. Having a couple of small boxes of powdered milk in the cupboard (not even in mylar and buckets) meant that I could still cook with reconstituted milk, make hot cocoa, and bake rolls for my family. Just be aware that it doesn't taste very good (at least that is my opinion) to drink it plain.

Can you pick up a box of powdered milk once a month? Just having it in the cupboard is a good short-term prep. When you get enough, then you could put it in a mylar bag.

·
Comrade
232 Posts
If you just buy one food item in huge supply (I'm assuming it's food you stocked up on), you're going to be malnourished pretty quickly if SHTF. Get a big 400ct. bottle of vitamins from Sam's club. They only have a shelf life of a year, so you can't go crazy on buying them.

If possibly, get a garden or greenhouse to provide you some food. My family has a garden about 15ft by 5ft in our backyard, and in that small area we grow more tomatoes, rosemary, peppers, basil, and oregano than we can possibly use. If space is limited, you can at least have an herb garden indoors on a windowsill. Food, flavor, and medicine if you know what to grow and how to use it.

Do you really need powdered milk? I know some people love their milk, but most nutrients that it provides can be sourced alternately and with less expense. The protein could come from beans, calcium from multivitamins, vitamin D from the sun, etc.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My personal paranoia lies along "End Times Predictions". As I read the Bible, we will have about 3.5 years of lies and deceit, then 3.5 years (42 months) of brutality. That is the source of my desire for 42 months of food and other supplies. I want to be able to avoid the brutality/coercion that I think is coming.

I have used powdered milk in the past, when I spent a summer camping out. My BOL is in a small town and they don't allow chickens. But an effort may be made to get an exception with the caveat of no roosters.

I have a large garden spot at the BOL which I plan on using. But there are certain staples such as wheat/flour, sugar, salt, etc. that might not be replaceable. And how about veg oil for cooking? Cocoa/vanilla, coffee, and other treats.

One of the other things I'm trying to find out is what kind of corn to use in corn bread. I have access to corn flour through work. But do I need a coarser meal for corn bread? My recollections are that corn bread is gritty.

David

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
One of the other things I'm trying to find out is what kind of corn to use in corn bread. I have access to corn flour through work. But do I need a coarser meal for corn bread? My recollections are that corn bread is gritty.

David
Commercial corn meal is generally made from dent corn. A type of field corn. But that really doesn't matter so much. Popcorn makes very good tasting corn meal and it's a type of flint corn.

You can use fine or coarse meal for corn bread. The corn meal I grind myself is coarser than store bought, but it makes very good corn bread. Far better than using store bought corn meal.

There are many ways to make cornbread also. From soft, sweet and cakelike, to course and primitive. All of them are quite easy to make.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
Let me suggest that you "ladder up" your preps, i.e., aim for 3 months first--when you have that, then go for longer time periods, six months, year, and so on.

That way, you're actually prepped for a ton of things that might happen, from terrorist attack on the grid, to tornado, earthquake that shuts down trucking for 2 months, floods, whatever.

There are lots of disaster scenarios, but tons of them are defined by much shorter time periods of upheaval or problems.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
I seriously hope I have another year before the SHTF, but next month is worrying me. It could begin the great turmoil I fear and make things much more difficult.
Yupp, alot of us are in the same boat...I know I put some of my "carts before the horses." You really need to make a list out of what you need the most and work your way down the list..I bought a years supply of food (4 people) from Samsclub and then bought a few stoves to heat up th food. I probably should have bought some water barrels and some good water filters first...I'm kinda jumping around now like a frog in a skillet...I think you are never really 100% prepared....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If possible, I suggest learning to can. You would be shocked at the price difference between home-canned pinto beans and store-bought canned ones. I know you're stocking dry beans, but they take a lot of water to prepare, so it wouldn't hurt to have some already cooked on hand. Same with meat. You can home-can meat when it's on sale -- right now, for instance, boneless/skinless chicken thighs are $1.89 lb at my local store (not WW!) One pound of chicken = one pint jar = a pot of soup, noodles, rice, etc. for 4-6 people.
And quit trying to second-guess the Lord. He told you that not even the angels know the hour. Live now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your wallyworld may have 4lb boxes of dry milk, which is usually a lot cheaper per oz. than the smaller boxes.

Inexpensive popping corn can and does make cornmeal that will work just fine and you'd also have a possible snack. :)

I've tried both big brand names of dried beans and cheaper, store brands and found very little difference.

It's helpful to have your goals written down, so you know where to target, but it's inevitable that you'll suddenly find something on sale that trip out that you hadn't planned on shopping for, lol. That's just part of it.

It can be very overwhelming when you feel like you want to have more of this and more of that- RIGHT NOW!!!

Joseph had to store up for 7 years for a nation of people.... they had to do it one basketful at a time, one day at a time, one harvest at a time.

Aim for one month, then three, then 6, and so on.

Just remember, slow and steady wins the race... :)

·
V
21,713 Posts
Sounds like your trying to do it all at once (too much too soon) tbh, if you basing your preperations on Biblical prophecy......... GL

Preps are important, knowledge will out last em though.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,399 Posts
My personal paranoia lies along "End Times Predictions". As I read the Bible, we will have about 3.5 years of lies and deceit, then 3.5 years (42 months) of brutality. That is the source of my desire for 42 months of food and other supplies. I want to be able to avoid the brutality/coercion that I think is coming.

I have used powdered milk in the past, when I spent a summer camping out. My BOL is in a small town and they don't allow chickens. But an effort may be made to get an exception with the caveat of no roosters.

I have a large garden spot at the BOL which I plan on using. But there are certain staples such as wheat/flour, sugar, salt, etc. that might not be replaceable. And how about veg oil for cooking? Cocoa/vanilla, coffee, and other treats.

David
There is not a darn thing wrong with storing enough food for 3.5 yrs. You may up feeding others and you may have to survive longer than others because you will not accept the "mark" required to buy and sell. Either way, bulk food storage is cheap and provides options to you.

I started with one years worth, then two years worth, then i added fruit trees and livestock, now I'm expanding to four years worth of the stapes I can not grow in the garden.

I would plan to grind corn meal as fine as I can get it. Think of the masa flour used to make tortillas.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
For your corn bread, I suggest that you bake some a few times, and then you will know what kind of corn flour to buy.

I like my corn bread soft, and so I buy the masa harina from the grocery store.

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Let me suggest that you "ladder up" your preps, i.e., aim for 3 months first--when you have that, then go for longer time periods, six months, year, and so on.

That way, you're actually prepped for a ton of things that might happen, from terrorist attack on the grid, to tornado, earthquake that shuts down trucking for 2 months, floods, whatever.

There are lots of disaster scenarios, but tons of them are defined by much shorter time periods of upheaval or problems.
This makes more sense than any other type of prepping I have seen.

Get 3 months worth of everything you need live. Then add 3 more months. Keep going until you have the total number of months you need. If the SHTF in let's say Sept., you don't want to be without wheat/flour because it wasn't on your bulk buying list until Dec.

Long term storage is waaaay more than my budget can handle. One to two years is about all I could ever think to do. Heirloom seeds. Live in the burbs no chickens for me (but man that would be good)!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Instead of a mega supply of one item and a mega supply of another, look at things on sale throughout a few stores. My grocery stores around me have different sales all the time. One will have canned soups, pasta, and cereal on sale, so i buy as much as I can of all 3 things. The same week the other store will have pet food, toilet paper, water, and soda on sale, so i buy as much as i can of those items. Looking on the circulars of all the stores around you before you head out the door saves time and can help you know what to look for when you get there. It takes time to get a good supply going, dont panic. I'm sure your ahead of everyone you know in your town!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts