Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked up the poverty line for my area and to be at the poverty line I have to look waaaaaaay up yet I have a rather impressive food storage going. i figure it could take us for 8 months eating full regular meals or about 12 months with adults skipping meals and using fillers like rice, pasta and bread. how do i do this on less than $1000 a month for us? i am a bargin shopper from hell lol

example -
this week a local grocery store has 950 ml of ocean spray cranberry juice on sale for $1. a good price but i managed to get 12 cases for free and the sale is still on to friday - debating if i should get more with summer coming.

how?

i searched the internet and freebie sites and found a printable coupon for $1 so all those cases were free. i traded 48 additional coupons with a friend to drive me there and back and help me drag it into the house. making it extra free as i didnt pay for gas or a taxi.

this store also had canned veggies on sale for 59 cents down from $1.69 and i had 25 cents off coupons so paid 24 cents can. i only bought corn and green beans because during the summer a local drug store had a spend $5 get $5 off coupon. while everyone was buying make up and silly things i was grabbing 10 cans of the same veggie for 55 cents total for all 10 cans because they were on major sale. i bought a shopping cart full. all they had were peas by the time i got there so i bought all of them. and i also got 8 cans of fruit for 35 cents total after my coupons. i bought about 100.

i also have got the following all free in 2008 with coupons i have printed from the internet and used them on items that were on sale -

250 packages of stay free femine products
100 tylenol pills and children's cough syrup - exp. 2012 - around 2011 i will start selling them on kijiji for half the shelf price and put the money back into stocking up
50 tooth brushes
200 bars of soap
50 bottles shampoo
200 rolls paper towel
300 rolls toilet paper
500 paper napkins
30 dental floss
50 boxes of kleenex
15 prs of polar fleece lounge pants
3 thermal shirts
1 tube shoe goo
6 prs teflon shoes laces - gtee'd not to ever break
3 dress shirts for my son to grow into
3 scarves
10 stainless steel water bottles
8 stainless steel travel mugs
5 decks of cards - great by the way for kids to do math with
3 travel games sets - checkers, chess, backgammon
1 head flashlight
2 flash lights - the shake to charge ones
3 zip up sport type jackets
6 burts bees lip balm
2 prs slip on grips for your winter boots
2 snow suits for dd in the next two sizes
2 sets of king sized sheets including duvet covers and shams
10 razors with refill packs
150 cotton hankies

plus an outrageous amount of travel sized shampoos, creams, toothpaste etc

in addition about 12 shopping carts of free food products - everything from potato flakes to juice to cheese to juice to meat.

i scour the internet daily - i now have 5 sites i go to - and find where everything is on sale and what coupons are out there. i also hit several different freebie sites that list who is giving what for free. i also write companies directly via email and ask for sample outright. about 80% send you a coupon for a free full sized product and a handful of coupons. i also call 800 numbers if i am happy or unhappy with a product. i bought this expensive juice - usually $4 a carton, on sale for $2 and used a $1 off coupon...the tab broke on every one. i called and complained and they sent me $10 in coupons. but to my delight i found it was good on lots of other products...including large cans of apple juice. it is 99 cents a can for pure apple juice - so that is like 10 cans for free.

i also get so much for next to nothing. they have these frozen veggies we like but they usually cost $4 a bag...they go on sale for $2 and I use $1 off coupons and buy 40 bags at a time so i dont have to use the canned stores. i am getting $160 worth of product for $40.

another key i have is i have a notebook that looks like this

tin foil - buy in 6's - 1 2 3 4 5 6

i cross off each number as i buy it and once it is off my list i move on to the next couple items. i am usually stock piling about 8 different items at a time. when i put it on the shelf i put a post-it-note on a package half way through that says start buying again and i know i am running at 50% and to put it back in my note book.

i am able to have enough to make me feel comfortable for the time being though i am always adding and also keep a slush fund for things i find on my travels. i keep $50 in an envelope in my purse for these. example was i found a cast iron dutch oven with the hanging handle at goodwill for $10 but had spent my budget for the week,,,but i had my slush fund so was able to grab a $60 pot that i will use now and wtshtf...

i hope this has given some of you, especially those on a really tight budget, the knowledge that YOU can prep on little to no money. just take a little time and leg work. and in the states you are even better off because you have double and triple your coupon days. some of your food is cheaper but looking at some of the online grocery flyers..your food is getting closer to the price of ours.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Can you tell us the 5 sites you visit?

I use my coupons when stores have sales. Bi-Lo doubles all coupons face value to .99 about every 3 months or so, Harris Teeter has triple coupon days.

I got a bunch of cans of pineapple at Bi-Lo for free . They were on sale for $1 ea and I had coupons for .50 off. After the coupon doubled, I got them for free!
I only go to name brand stores when they have sales & I have a coupon for an item.

Otherwise, I buy all my food at Aldi's which is a discount store.

I'm real interested in knowing where you go online. Anything that will help save money would be awesome!

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
well great, i appreciate your example, but until you post some how to, it's all trivia, i wouldn't brag on my set until i posted sources. I told people where i got mine, WITH LINKS. I wouldn't post before a sale, but after i had my 12 cases or whatever, then i'd post, and i have before.

i'm most interested in "How-TO". If you can do something the rest of us can't,
well Yippee Yahoo for you.

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay halkon...somebody pee in your wheaties?

being that i am in canada the sites that i go to would be good for you in the states. it is the concept that i am referring too.

for example we have a company here called mark's work warehouse that over christmas had a printable coupon that said $10 off when you spend $10 or more. So i went in an grabbed everything $9.99 and asked the clerk to ring it in at $10 which she did. that is how i scored all the clothes and stainless items, plus burt's bee and the cards/games. printed them off and went in with 15 at a time and went every day for the promotion which was for 3 weeks.

the idea is very simple -
you use a coupon that is equal or almost equal to the value of a product. and the rule is wait until it goes on sale and then buy tons. in the states you have double and triple your coupon deals which we dont so you can get even better deals. in addition here if you saved more than you bought we dont get the change back like you do down there.

i use www.smartcanucks.ca for example. a great site but pretty useless for you down there because all the deals and freebies for the most part are from canada though they do slip in some american ones that may or may not make the offer good in canada. we also dont have media mail and bulk mail prices here so things are very expensive to ship.

i googled free coupons, printable coupons and freebies and had about 5 million sites come up. i would love to post each and every one but i think kev would use me for target practice. it is far easier to get almost free groceries in the states. i have watched youtube videos with families shopping and im gob smacked at the amazing deals you can get down there. you would never in a million years find 10 cans of anything of $1 or $2. and your dollar stores are far better as well. almost worth the drive just for those.

and unlike you halkon i dont hide sales from my prepping friends, we tell each other as soon as we get them. that way nobody misses out because i cant find every deal...and quite often will shop for each other if one is working or looking after kids. hell we even buy for each other if between pay day so nobody misses out. the more people i know are fully prepped the better.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Preparedmama...YOU GO GIRL!
I use many of the same tactics you use. I have found I can get awesome deals at Walgreens and CVS by shopping in their grocery aisle with coupons! Not many people shop for groceries there, so I expect management is told to move it out the door any way they can as fast as they can.
I love my cosmetics and bath stuff, but can rarely afford the pricey really top quality stuff.
Went to a CVS last summer when they were renovating. They had dumped LOADS of nice stuff into baskets and marked them 90% off...some of it 95% off!:eek:
I bought 30.00 foundation...the ultra good stuff... for 1.50! I had very little cash on me that day, but happily, they had an in-store ATM...and yeah, I spent 60.00 bucks total.
Bought some uber-expensive perfume sets that I later gave for presents, too.
Of course, I only paid 5 bucks for each of them.

Also, those two drugstores also carry clothing.
3 high quality tee shirts for 10 bucks last summer at Walgreens. They didn't move fast enough, so they put them on sale at 25% off...I bought a bunch for my son.
Had to stop at the same Walgreens last fall to pick up aspirin. Then had these shelves, roll-around type that could be configured as a bookshelf, a desk or a small table. Original price 15.99.
Manager had them down to 5 bucks a piece. I told him I would give him 5 bucks for the four he had sitting there. He said okay! (It never hurts to ask!)
So, I got all four for 5 dollars.

Look, I make 300 bucks a month--cash.
That's it.
I have ample food storage, a decent weapon + ammo and everything else I really need. (Well except for a new printer...am working on that!)

I use coupons, shop online (Ebay can be your friend if you do it right!), shop thrift stores & yard sales, make a lot of my own clothes, and like preparedmama, try to keep a little money *set back* for surprise opportunities.
I have posted here repeatedly great websites to go to. Manual grain grinder for 25.99...have posted that one at least 3 times. It is not name brand, it is not top of the line, but IT WORKS and at a heck of a lot cheaper price that the 179.00 ones (or higher!) the survival prep sites advertise. I have seen at least one *prep* site advertise this very same grain grinder for 89.99 as a bargain.:mad:
(In case you are curious, here is said grain grinder...right now it is sold out, but they will have it back in stock March 31st. Make you wonder about how many survival prep stores online are buying hundreds of these to sell at *bargain* 89.99 prices. http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_un-500_universal-model-500-grain-mill.htm I suggest you browse the whole site, as they have good bargains on loads of other stuff, like canning supplies)

Look for yourselves...you are already on a computer. Use google, like preparedmama said. They are thousands of resources online that can help you prepare in a frugal manner. Not just stuff to buy, but websites (like this one), articles, print-out booklets, etc.
If you are serious about preparedness, you HAVE to be determined to use the resources available to you to do so.

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
excellent blog lamb - read it people its great

i loved the flavored vinegar and oils posts. i am going to keep my eyes opened for nice bottles to make them as christmas gifts this year. dollar store has really nice wooden salad tongs. i will wrap them up with a nice tea towel and voila - nice gift for maybe $5 tops. wicked

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
okay halkon...somebody pee in your wheaties?

being that i am in canada the sites that i go to would be good for you in the states. it is the concept that i am referring too.

i use www.[B]smartcanucks.ca[/B] for example. a great site but pretty useless for you down there because all the deals and freebies for the most part are from canada though they do slip in some american ones that may or may not make the offer good in canada. we also dont have media mail and bulk mail prices here so things are very expensive to ship.

i googled free coupons, printable coupons and freebies and had about 5 million sites come up. i would love to post each and every one but i think kev would use me for target practice. it is far easier to get almost free groceries in the states. i have watched youtube videos with families shopping and im gob smacked at the amazing deals you can get down there. you would never in a million years find 10 cans of anything of $1 or $2. and your dollar stores are far better as well. almost worth the drive just for those.

and unlike you halkon i dont hide sales from my prepping friends, we tell each other as soon as we get them. that way nobody misses out because i cant find every deal...and quite often will shop for each other if one is working or looking after kids. hell we even buy for each other if between pay day so nobody misses out. the more people i know are fully prepped the better.
i don't hide them from my friends either. i just don't post them online in an MSA that has 1.5 million people in it until we make a run (alot of the ads here are limited quant - like only 10 or 25 per store). I frequently notify my friends, in fact i bought every 55 gal. water barrel we have, and about half the ammonishiones. I've also posted some deals at grocers on this forum.

Your in Can., i get it, you are correct in that we wouldn't be able to use the same coupons, my apologies on that one :upsidedown:

+1 Lamb, great job, been to yuor blog also :thumb:

In the Midsouth there is a great outlet to shop for canned goods called ALDI's. They have good prices on generic feminine hygiene items. Bring your own bags and save even more, oh and you need a quarter for cart deposit (they return it if you bring the cart back). ALDI's +1; store locator
http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm?WT.z_src=main

i ma not affiliated with ALDI

·
Registered
169 Posts
At first I thought this was an American writing the post but then I realized you were Canadian. I was thinking that Cdn's could never get the bargains--for example- double coupon days, etc that I've read about. It just doesn't happen here . I rarely use coupons anymore bcz they are always for name brand things which I don't use; and I use store brand which is far cheaper than name brand. Thats not to say that I haven't found good deals. I HAVE--its just that I have never really thought about it in the way you have written your stash down. Not to do with groceries, but recently Liquidation World had their books on clearance for (I forget exactly how much now) for I think .50/book. Buy 10 dollars and you got one book free. Lots of good recipe books for me; and fiction books that my sons-in-law would enjoy so I bought a lot. If I signed up for their email notification of sales, I got another book free.
I always look in clearance bins and sales and stock up. I'm finding that Walmart's kids clothes have been on clearance and the prices are almost as low as at Value Village--their prices went way up! I also bought my son a bike on clearance at Walmart for $50 a few weeks ago--half price. My daughter and son in law bought one as well at half price.

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello mother hen...neat somebody from neck of the woods. the cranberry juice is on sales at no frills until friday..i will send you the link for the printable coupon if you like. goodwill has also started having sales for kids clothes for $1 - there were several women buying clothes from the kids racks because they were size 14..but adult sized mishung. i like liquidation word too but get tempted by a lot of stuff i dont need in there lol and dont forget real canadian superstore for clothing discounts. their end of season sales are wild. last falli got bathing suits for $1.98 and golf shirts for 25 cents - they also had all their summer shoes for $1

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Aldi's is great here! Their canned roast beef & chicken is awesome. And you can't beat the price nor flavor of their chocolate!

Thank you for responding preparedmama. I didn't know you were in Canada. But we can use the same shopping tactics here in the States.

·
Registered
291 Posts
every coupon site i go to seems like just a scam to get your personal info to sell to marketers . i must be going to the wrong ones.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
every coupon site i go to seems like just a scam to get your personal info to sell to marketers . i must be going to the wrong ones.
I go to http://www.ppgazette.com/coupons.php since it has listings for both coupons.com and SmartSource which are the two major internet grocery coupon distributors in the US. (Most "coupon sites" want to get your information then forward you to one or the other of those two places.)

PPGazette takes your information but doesn't seem to bother you other than email you a couple of times a month when they get new coupons available (which is something I want to know about anyway).

For coupons offered directly from manufacturers, I use
http://www.couponloop.com/id133.htm
and
http://www.savingsmania.com/coupons.aspx

Those sites aren't always up to date on what offers are already expired and which are still open, but I get plenty of hits so its worth my time to browse through it every week.

I get a lot of bargains through couponing but I rarely get flat out free stuff anymore. The grocery stores around here have gotten pretty sophisticated at knowing what coupons are out there and price their products so that even on sale with a coupon that you still pay something for every item.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts