Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can prepping be a game? Because sometimes you lose, and sometimes you win.

The issue is: To try. Get out there and try something. Some people see prepping as stockpiling, or going to the gun range. It is so much more than that.

Plant a garden.

Go fishing.

Go hiking.

Go camping.

Read a book on a new topic.

If you are not growing and learning new stuff, you are stagnate.

Prepping should be more than a hobby, it should be a lifestyle. Almost weekly I take a quick inventory of stuff like:

• How much chicken feed I have.
  • Number of eggs I am getting.
  • Is the tractor fueled up.
  • Is my truck in working order.
  • How do the ammo stocks look.

Current events on a local and global level. Since I live in a rural area, there is rarely anything happening on a local level. The headline of the local news station KJAS is a car show.

A lot of people get upset if something does not go according to plan. We can not always win at everything. Failure is part of learning. If you plant a garden and it does not make, use it as a learning experience.

Recently I learned that hens will sometimes abandon their chicks to sit on eggs. I had three hens go broody.

Two were serious and one quit after a week or so.

One hen hatched out some chicks, but was not caring for them. So I stuck those chicks under the other hen and she adopted them. Now the chicks are doing fine.

The hen that is sitting hatched out another chick and will probably go under the other hen.

It is rather cool seeing all this play out where I can see it and be able to share it with all of you.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
TRUE, it takes considerable time to learn what doesn't work, what does work & what works better.

Sites like this give folks a leg up because they can learn what works best without making some mistakes themselves.

I have been at it a LONG time, but not to old to learn from others & appreciate it.

There is always room for improvement.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I can honestly say that, in my time prepping, I have "lost" a number of "games".

Thankfully, none of those times were life and death, and in almost all the cases it was a lack of knowledge that I was subsequently able to correct.

Some of my losses have included techniques I tried at survival courses that when applied I found did not work reliably for me (for example, I REALLY stink at primitive fire building techniques; I can do them, but it takes me way more time and effort than the next guy), certain pieces of gear I either bought into the "cool" of or was ignorant of the truth of (first knife I ever bought myself with my own money was one of those hollow handle survival knives; still have it... it works and has been on many courses with me, but I would never want to trust it in the field as my only knife in any kind of actually survival scenario...), for almost two decades my bug out plan was to go lone wolf and make it on my own... now I am more realistic about what long term survival takes and recognize how many ways that plan could have gone wrong...

Prepping is a learning process. Not unlike many games, you get better at it the longer you play. Heck, some of the discussions I have had with people on this board have made me a better prepper than I was before I started here.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
Prepping is a waiting game... and the longer you wait, the less it matters!

Fillzee's formula for the utility of prepping... Prep Usefulness = 75 - Your current age

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
It's funny because I just had to say this a couple times tonight. Once about an older rooster that we finally killed, and the second about a squash that we were saving for months that we decided to cook tonight.

Things, when you're trying to live self-sufficient, do not always go as you read in books.

Husband is 60 this year, and me not far behind. We practically learn something new every single day. You have to get out there and try stuff to find out what is true and what actually works.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
A few survival lessons I learned early in life

After defending a surrounded hilltop Tet 68 Vietnam

You can never have to much ammunition

After almost dying of dehydration

You can never have to much stored potable water

After almost starving to death

You can never have to much LTS food

After almost bleeding to death

Have to best FAK you can afford & train how to use it