Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the talk about nuclear war makes us want to prepare for that we have already bagan stocking food and seeds and water...But we dont have the money for bunkers and underground houses and never will unless we win the lotto are we pretty much doomed or are there still some things we can do!I have 9 children and this is very worriesum for my children also especially my teenagers!

·
Registered
222 Posts
mamato9, check out this link. It has a ton of good info on it. There is lot's you can do with out braking the bank. Nukes are not all the doom & gloom the media made it out to be back in the 1980's when I grew up. They tried telling most people they would all be dead and nucler winter and all that non since. This place offers more realisic facts not all trumpt up for political reasons. Hope this helps.

http://www.ki4u.com/goodnews.htm

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
All the talk about nuclear war makes us want to prepare for that we have already bagan stocking food and seeds and water...But we dont have the money for bunkers and underground houses and never will unless we win the lotto are we pretty much doomed or are there still some things we can do!I have 9 children and this is very worriesum for my children also especially my teenagers!
In a moment about a 100 will jump on here and start babbling about a Friday Cage made out of brass plated chicken wire and then some guy will want to discuss auto ignition.

Well I lived thru all that back in the 50's and the advice is the same today as it was then. FOCUS on protecting you and your family, your water and food supplies.

There is a ton of info on what you SHOULD be doing and I would make the spark plugs on my car or whatever the very last thing on my list. Bunkers can be hand dug, got a basement, low spot to start from.

Lots of info but bottom line is to get dirt/concrete between you/supplies and the blast zone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Mamato9 I would say do not worry to much , you live in Alabama and you are pretty safe there , the change for a all out Nuke war is rather small, sure North Korea can maybe deliver one or two boms , but they will be wiped of the map.
A full nuke war with rusia is unlikely ( they have enough to hit all over the USA)
and a terorist making a Nuke boms is not going to happen , making a nuke boms is very very difficult I know there are lots of sides on the internet that will say it is easy , but all these pages are written by people that never made one.
For a start one would need HEU and nobody would sell that to a terrorist as the USA would attack whomever sold it. the other option is plutonium much more difficult to make and not something one makes easy or explote easy , the critical mass has to be at the right temperature and right pressure etc etc. so dont worry about that.
The alternative would be a dirthy bomb , still it would be difficult to get the plutonium , but one would choose a high profile target ( new york )

In the event of a nuke explotion , well if you are closeby 10 miles it would be bad luck , but if you are further away , stay out of the wind and do not look at the explotion 90 % of people die or radiation sickness , that is most of them in the wind. It is radiation and radioactive dust that will give the biggest problems.

some good reading :

http://polisci.osu.edu/faculty/jmueller/APSACHGO.PDF

I will try to find some good talks on the radiation

regards

wtfsw

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Here, I am buying the drinks, belly up and get a dose of realityL

Obama pledges fewer nukes. How low would he go?

By Philip Ewing Monday, March 26th, 2012 2:00 pm
Posted in International

President Obama used a speech in South Korea on Monday to repeat his goal of ridding the world of nuclear weapons, making it absolutely clear that the U.S. arsenal will continue to shrink while he’s in the White House.

The only thing not clear yet is by how much.

Read more: http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/26/obama-pledges-fewer-nukes-how-low-would-he-go/#ixzz1qSKcsrwZ
DoDBuzz.com

N Korea, Iran, Ruskys, China and some other rogue nations would collectively hit us with everything they could throw our way. To attack the US one must hit with 'Thor's Hammer'. So swift, so hard that we are unable to properly respond.

Our current CiC would NOT respond, he lacks the guts and would welcome the commies with open arms...

·
Registered
376 Posts
The chance of having an all out nuclear war is just about ZERO.

The chance of a "dirty" nuclear bomb is greater, but remember that these type of bombs have (relatively) a very small and limited range.
If such bomb is used, it would be in one of the top 10 cities in the US. Maybe a seaport where massive amounts of unchecked containers come in.
Unless you're within a few miles (3, maybe even less) of ground zero, you may not be affected at all.

The nuclear fall out is the tricky part. After 2 days, the fall out would lose 99% of its strength. After 14 days, the fallout would lose 99.99% of its strength.

If you are not within the zone, leaving the area is the best bet by far.
If you are in the zone, go inside a room, sealed it up the best you can . It's critical that you stay in there for at least 48h.

Eat/drink only from containers or sealed package. Wash the containers/package before opening them.

Don't start popping Potassium Iodide pills either. If your body hasn't been contaminated by radioative iodine, the potassium iodide may do you more harm than good. If it is a dirty bomb, chance are there won't be any radioactive iodine.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Maybe not popping the pills, but buying them in case they are needed would be a good idea regardless. They are not very expensive and she can get peace of mind. Sure the feds stock them but you can be sure it's not for the general population. "If you are not within the zone, STAYING IN the area is the best bet" that way you don't run the risk of ending up in the area. (Noticed? the feds stock them.)

·
Learning
6,718 Posts
The threat of nuclear war is very low, prep for a dollar collapse first and formost. Then various natural disasters.

Prepping for nuclear attack is very similar to above, except there is no way the west coast or our heartland will be hit. The grain belt is too valuable, however, terrorists or a rogue state might hit some cities on the east coast. Even then you'd be fine. You'd be worried about potential refugees and survivors though.

Tell us exactly what you are worried about so that we can help you better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
http://www.oism.org/nwss/

The above link is a free downloadable copy of Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny. I have had a hard copy of this book since it came out in the '80s. It has a wealth of info on expedient measures that can be taken for protection from fallout and other dangers. Another book (if you can find it) is Pulling Through by Dean Ing, first half of the book is a fictional account of survival of a nuclear conflict and the second half is a manual on techniques for survival.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
here is a website with information resources.
TACDA is a professional organization that is very credible in my opinion.
they avoid the normal hype.
they have been around since the early 1960's.

http://www.tacda.org/index.php/tacda-academy/

there are many inexpensive preparations you can implement for your family's safety. good luck with your preps.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
It's potassium iodide; I'm stocked.

It's only effective against radiation from nuclear fission bombs and power plants. It doesn't work for dirty bombs. They don't recommend it for people over 40. Babies and kids are the most vulnerable. The doses depend on the age of the person.

You really only need one pill. It's worth keeping at least one for every person in your household.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Buy plastic sheeting very cheap at walmart, and several rolls of duct tape, pre cut the sheeting to cover all the window, doors and vents in your house, use the duct tape to seal. This is shelter in place strategy it works well for both nuclear fallout and the more likely chemical spills. Make sure you have enough food, medical supplies, and water for your family for at least 72hrs at all times. The more the better but at least 72hrs. Turn off any forced air heating and cooling in the house when the nuclear or chemical spill happens, seal the house, get a weather radio, or if you town as alerts they can send to your phone sign up for those. I know here they have a system called CodeRed it's a reverse 911 system, you sign up many large communities have it, you put in your phone numbers and your address, when something bad happens or is coming they warn you. This also works for thunderstorms, and tornadoes. These things I have listed are some of the cheapest things you can do, and they may save your life from things that are more likely the nuclear apocalypse.

·
Registered
318 Posts
if you have a basement, you could build a safe room. if you don't, not all bunkers are ridiculously expensive. you could always go the concrete route and have the entire thing set and done for under $10k.

an all out nuclear war is very unlikely, but not something i would neglect prepping for regardless. all i've got on hand for such an event is some plastic sheeting, duct tape and n95 masks....if i need anything more than that, i'd rather die from the blast as opposed to dying a slow painful death from radiation sickness.

just work on your water and food preps first and foremost, don't worry too much about a nuclear war, just get the basic preps and that's all you'll be needing. alabama is a pretty safe place to be.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I haven't bothered to read the other responses. No offense to others.

I have to say, you should not put that fear into your children. The truth is that if there is a full on global nuclear wear, even shelters, outside of SUPER shelters, that have a sustaining property for YEARS, and by years I mean at least 20 years, there is no chance. Those shelter cost well above $500K and realistically into the millions. Ultimately, people surviving a true meltdown is based 99.9% on luck. You have zero chance, unless you are a multi-millionaire of creating a facility to sustain your and yours. (Let the haters hate me now)

The threat of that is realistically very low.

So, don't worry about what you can not control. First, prep your home for emergency. Get 30 days of water min to start and 2 weeks of food.

Start small. Protect for real threats, which are mostly environmental. Forget end of the world until you are full prepared for your location.

(edit - sorry if this seems mean, but stop having kids, criminy)

·
Old hand
173 Posts
Firstly get yourself informed.
This is the most important thing you can do.
Read Nuclear War survival skills. Then you can decide which measures you can take.
Secondly ignore all doomers, they will not help you survive and generally are only repeating the crappy propaganda from the 70's and 80's

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
All the talk about nuclear war makes us want to prepare for that we have already began stocking food and seeds and water...But we dont have the money for bunkers and underground houses and never will unless we win the lotto are we pretty much doomed or are there still some things we can do!I have 9 children and this is very worriesum for my children also especially my teenagers!
You are on the right forum to discuss this but please don't worry. As some have said nuclear war is unlikely but who knows for certain? Some kind of nuke going off especially in New York or D.C. is more likely someday. Other countries such as Israel and Iran are most likely to have some kind of nuclear war first.

I personally have tried to prepare for nuclear war since I became a survivalist in 1982. I have thought that if I am prepared for nuclear war then I am prepared for about anything!

And it does NOT cost nearly as much as some say it will to prepare. One main reason I keep posting is to show others that it does Not take much money to prepare.

Most of my preps, supplies, gear etc. have been bought at garage sales and other sales.

This free online book shows how to prepare and how to prepare very inexpensively. > www.oism.org/nwss

It is the book I have used the most and I also used the small pole shelter plans in that book when I built my bunker.

The more helping hands one has then the easier it is to do the things shown in that book. Especially dig an underground fallout shelter if necessary.

Here is proof of that and showing how it does Not cost too much to build an underground bunker / fallout / storm shelter >
The Everything about Bunkers thread and where I tell exactly how I built my bunker is here with many pics. Later in the thread others also tell about their bunkers etc. > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

http://www.oism.org/nwss/

The above link is a free downloadable copy of Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny. I have had a hard copy of this book since it came out in the '80s. It has a wealth of info on expedient measures that can be taken for protection from fallout and other dangers.
Glad that you and a few others have read that book. It is the main book I have used as a survivalist since I bought it in 1982. I have also saved much money by using the plans and ideas in it since it shows how to improvise and use materials that are available instead of buying everything and making others rich....

·
Son of the Republic...
283 Posts
It would be advisable to map out the expedient fallout shelters in your area, beforehand...so you will have an idea of what kinds of shelter are available in your area. (i.e., a church basements, the basement of any large building, an underground parking garage, etc.). That way, all you would need to do is grab your bug out bags and go! You can also seek shelter in the middle or interior of a tall building, like an office tower or apartment building. The trick is to surround yourself on all sides with adequate mass or shielding against the radioactive fallout.

TIME/DISTANCE/SHIELDING these are the things that are going to protect you against dangerous radioactive fallout.

One of the things you should invest in right now, is a way to measure high 'war-time' levels of radioactive fallout. You DO NOT want to be at the mercy of local authorities, to inform you when it's safe to leave your shelter. EMP may render radio/television/internet communication impossible. It's much better to know for yourself how safe it is in your area.

You can still pick up surplus Civil Defense survey meters, dosimeters and dosimeter chargers on Ebay for a fairly reasonable price. I would recommend a model CDV-717, CDV-720 or CDV-715 survey meter...and model CDV-742 dosimeters; which are charged by the CDV-750 dosimeter charger. Once you have a decent, functioning survey meter...(one that passes the circuit check), you'll need to get it calibrated. This will cost you about $92 bucks + shipping. I send all of my meters here for calibration.

http://www.radmeters4u.com/calibrate.htm
KI4U, Inc.
212 Oil Patch Lane
Gonzales, TX 78629

You must educate yourself on how radiation damages the human body. And on how to shield yourself from it; and on how long it takes for radioactive fallout to decay to within reasonably safe levels, etc. I'll give you some links at the bottom of this post, that will help you do just that. But for now, it's good to understand that 'most' of the dangerous radiation after a nuclear attack, will be given off in the first 72 hours after a detonation. You should really stay sheltered for up to 14 days, however. But during those first three days, you don't want to have to leave your shelter for ANYTHING, unless it's on fire or something. Gather together the things you'll need to survive for those 72 hours, and keep them in your bug out bag. You can always go out and gather up more supplies later on, after the majority of the danger has passed. But if you receive a lethal dose of gamma radiation, there is very little that can be done. You will suffer and die from Acute Radiation Syndrome. (a very unpleasant prospect...).

Get yourself some simple N-95 masks from the paint section at Walmart, or even surgical type masks to help prevent from inhaling radioactive particles.

You should also acquire a supply of KI, or Potassium Iodide tablets. These are simply made up of clean, stable iodine that floods your thyroid gland, so it doesn't soak up radioactive iodine 131 after a nuclear catastrophe. (either a Hiroshima OR a Fukushima type event). This leads to thyroid cancer, especially in younger people. BTW...You can safely ignore the expiration dates on bottles of potassium iodide/iodate...as they never go bad, unless you get them wet. They are a very stable salt. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has issued guidance for the continued use of supposedly 'expired', potassium iodide tablets.

Here are those links I mentioned earlier. This is very important information that you should really familiarize yourself with. If you want to know what it's like to live through a nuclear attack, you can visit my website. At the bottom of the page you will find testimonials from the survivors of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombs. It makes for some interesting reading...

Good luck...
:thumb:
Zulu Cowboy

'What To Do If A Nuclear Disaster Is Imminent'

How to Survive Radioactive Fallout From A Nuclear Explosion

Radiation Safety in Shelters

How to use radiological instruments - (Survey Meters/Dosimeters)

Fallout Protection - What to know and do about nuclear attack

Nuclear War Survival Skills, by Cresson Kearney

Planning Guide For Response to a Nuclear Detonation

- - - - - - - - -

Here is why it's important to take shelter from radioactive fallout.

Fallout Exposure
Taken from 'Radiation Safety in Shelters' - FEMA

(1) Level I, 50-200 R Exposure...
Less than half of the people exposed to this much radiation experience nausea and vomiting within 24 hours. Afterwards some people might tire easily, but otherwise there are no further symptoms. Less than five percent (one out of 20) need medical care. Any deaths that occur after radiation exposure are probably due to additional medical problems (complications) a person might have at the same time, such as infections and diseases, injuries from blast, or burns from the nuclear explosion.

(2) Level II, 200-450 R Exposure...
More than half of the people exposed to 200-450 R experience nausea and vomiting and are ill for a few days. This illness is followed by a period of one to three weeks when there are few if any symptoms (a latent period). At the end of this latent period more than half of those exposed experience loss of hair. A moderately severe illness develops which is often characterized by sore throat. Radiation damage to the blood-forming organs results in a loss of white blood cells, increasing the chance of illness from infections. Most of the people in this group need medical care, but more than half will survive without treatment. The chances of living are better for those with smaller doses and those who get medical care. More than half are sick the first few days, but less than half die.

(3) Level III, 450-600 R Exposure...
Most of the people exposed to 450-600 R experience severe nausea and vomiting and are very ill for several days. The latent period is shortened to one or two weeks. The main episode of illness which follows is characterized by much bleeding from the mouth, throat, and skin, as well as loss of hair. Infections such as sore throat, pneumonia, and enteritis (inflammation of the small intestine) are common. People in this group need intensive medical care and hospitalization to survive. Fewer than half will survive in spite of the best care, the chances of survival being poorest for those who received the largest exposures.

(4) Level IV, 600 to over 1000 R Exposure...
This level produces an accelerated version of the illness described for Level III. All the people in this group begin to experience severe nausea and vomiting. Without medication, this condition can continue for several days or until death. Death can happen in less than two weeks, without the appearance of bleeding or loss of hair. It is unlikely, even with extensive medical care, that many can survive.

(5) Level V, Several Thousand Roentgens Exposure...
Symptoms of rapidly progressing shock come on almost as soon as the dose has been received. Death occurs in a period from a few hours to a few days. It is highly unlikely that exposures of this magnitude will be experienced in fallout shelters.

- - - - - - - - -

These thickness of material will stop 99% of radiation...

Basically, this is why I said it's going to be difficult to surround yourself with enough shielding in any type of 'above-ground' expedient shelter. (You have to put this much 'mass or equivalent weight' between you and the fallout). Which is why I recommend finding shelter below ground, in a basement of a large building.

* 16 inches of solid brick.
* 16 inches of hollow concrete blocks filled with mortar or sand.
* 2 ft. of packed dirt.
* 3 ft. of loose dirt.
* 5 inches of steel.
* 3 inches of lead.
* 3 ft. of water.

11 Steps to Survival - Canada Emergency Measures Organization
http://www.webpal.org/webpal/d_resources/survival/books/11steps/

- - - - - - - - -

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
The chance of having an all out nuclear war is just about ZERO.

The chance of a "dirty" nuclear bomb is greater, but remember that these type of bombs have (relatively) a very small and limited range.
If such bomb is used, it would be in one of the top 10 cities in the US. Maybe a seaport where massive amounts of unchecked containers come in.
Unless you're within a few miles (3, maybe even less) of ground zero, you may not be affected at all.

The nuclear fall out is the tricky part. After 2 days, the fall out would lose 99% of its strength. After 14 days, the fallout would lose 99.99% of its strength.

If you are not within the zone, leaving the area is the best bet by far.
If you are in the zone, go inside a room, sealed it up the best you can . It's critical that you stay in there for at least 48h.

Eat/drink only from containers or sealed package. Wash the containers/package before opening them.

Don't start popping Potassium Iodide pills either. If your body hasn't been contaminated by radioative iodine, the potassium iodide may do you more harm than good. If it is a dirty bomb, chance are there won't be any radioactive iodine.
I will agree with that...

THAT SAID:

War ASSUMES that like the Tango, its takes two as in 2! While I think war, nuclear war is near zero that zero is based upon our desire and guts to retaliate against our adversary(s). IMO our current govt lacks the guts do so and in fact, where I grew up hearing and saying: "better dead than red" our current commie in chief, is a firm believer in "better red than dead".

War, near zero, nuclear attack, damn high, damn right! Too many countries out there have stated openly they would wipe America off the face of the earth given the opportunity.

NO ONE has ever done nor tired due to 2 things:

1) 'first strike': We reserve the right to hit them first!

2) 'scorched earth': In the event of an attack we will scorch the earth [better dead than red]

My BET$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the current liar in chief did not validate that doctrine which has been in effect since WWII!

Looks like I am still buying drinks, barkeep, another round of 'dose of reality' for the house...:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts