Survivalist Forum banner

Prepping for Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival.

11K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  Le Loup 
#1 ·
I have been reading the American thread on tools for survival, & it seems to me that lots of people are being very unrealistic in their prepping. Or maybe it is just that Australia is different & therefore we think differently because our geography is different.
I have been told time & time again that there is going to be too much competition in wild areas to allow anyone to survive. I disagree. I think many people underestimate how hard it is going to be without the required skills already in place. People are busy adding this & that to their "Bug-Out" bag & vehicle, & the adding never seems to stop. If any of these people ever have to ditch their vehicle, there is going to be a lot of gear left behind.
I am not going to tell you what you need to do, or what I think you should carry, each to their own. But primitive skills is something that is not learnt overnight, & when you need them, you need them right away. Now is the time to learn & practice, not when you are already in the middle of a survival situation.
Think about the tools you will need to help you settle in the wilderness. Not just weapons, but tools for starting gardens, for constructing shelters. Some of these tools are heavy, so you have to choose wisely. You only carry what you NEED. Do you take tool handles or do you make them on site & just carry the tool heads? What tools could double as weapons & therefore be carried with handles? Who in your group carries what?
If you are travelling as a small family the importance of your choices are far greater. Do your children have their own packs? Are they used to carrying these packs? Will they "spit the dummy" if the time ever comes to leave home fast? Do you take modern firearms or 18th century firearms? Do you carry a bow? Who picks the trail? Who is rear guard? There is a lot of thinking & deciding to do if you have not done it already, & you better be ready when the time comes to go.
So, are you ready yet?

See less See more
#2 ·
You've raised some very valid points here.
Personally, my preps are more focused towards the tool side of things.
But I have a better grasp of wilderness survival and native foods than most of the sheeple in my area.
One thing I disagree on though, their isn't really enough bush foods in our local bushland to support the population of 12000 residents in the 3 surrounding suburbs.
I'm counting on as few people as possible knowing how to forage for their own food.

#10 ·
Not enough for everyone.

"One thing I disagree on though, their isn't really enough bush foods in our local bushland to support the population of 12000 residents in the 3 surrounding suburbs".
Exactly my point. There is not enough to go round. Even for those of us who can survive out there, we will be mostly relying on a diet of meat if we do not find a good place to settle where there is enough to feed our group. Fortunately I know where to look & what to look for.
Hopefully IF TSHTF we won't have to move from our forest home, but we are prepared to move if we can not protect what we have. We are still recruiting group members, so we should have enough people to hold what we have.
Keith.

#3 ·
The question is often ,
" How anxious are you for the S to hit the F ?"
Frankly , I have been some very difficult situations , not looking forward to the event .
And though you may not believe this way , I believe God has made a significant difference in all of my varrious events of life.
I'm generally a very self sufficient person and am quite accustomed to doing the best with what I have at hand .
My plan is to stay put, and or to completely move to a new perminant location and start anew. farming and all.
The current Markxist that are brown noseing the president look to be making every effort to fallow the path of the comunist using every lie avalable to diminish the constitution and our rights .
Finding another place to go ,selling out and moving means hauling all my preps as well.
Living off the land in my mind is, building a new home ,and farming, and being part of a community.
There won't be much to hunt ,unless a great deal of dicipline is observed, but I don't see that happening, once there is no law to maintain a standard.
And martial law may very well be in effect during the whole event I would guess.
Depending on the perspective one has chosen to observe, there may very well be no where to hide .
Given the governments capacity to find and kill whom they will, with any thing they have at their disposal.
Unless you've got your own anti aircraft defence and radar, it'll be a lopsided fight.
On the other hand, loners that venture into the bush will be meeting up with others defending their little heaven.
Even here or there, no one knows the honest survivalist from the mole.
If you think about it, as we the people ,should be denying the government employees arms ,rather than the other way around. They should be getting premission from us.
At least according to the constitution.
The government should be afraid of it's people .
Sorry for the rant .
POint is, groups of significance can be targeted like we have seen in the past , and no conciquences have befallen the criminals.
The individual or family unit might last a while longer if they can stay off the grid, but I see a time comming that those that remain off the grid will be labeled terrorist .
And certian ID issues will be in place that won't easily be fooled .
If you think people are paranoid now , just wait a few months .
While you can , get books on orenteering and survival books so that every one can be on the same page as it were .
One might pick a particular book you can add notes to that the rest of the family share, both on planns an certian how too's that are going to be important.
If you can get together as a group and create a kind of competition with certian skills ,it may help sharpen one another for a real event .
Things as simple as building a fire in snow, to safely crossing a river.
Each person may find a favorite skill .like making mocossians/shoes or identifying plants or farming .
The larger the group the weight of real tools is much easier to deal with and more practicle.
I figured that If I had to bug out I'd use a buck buggy of a sort ,to hande the load better or may be several of them depending on the volume of those under my care.
Best of luck. arleigh

#4 ·
The question is often ,

The current Markxist that are brown noseing the president look to be making every effort to fallow the path of the comunist using every lie avalable to diminish the constitution and our rights .

Given the governments capacity to find and kill whom they will, with any thing they have at their disposal.
Unless you've got your own anti aircraft defence and radar, it'll be a lopsided fight.

At least according to the constitution.
The government should be afraid of it's people .
Arleigh, I think you didn't read LL's opening post.

#5 ·
I think you will find is that most folks here "prep" and it is there version of fantasy football you get to pick the players you want on your team and your games go based on how you assemble your fantasy team

the prepping thing is the same they want to think they can get in running firefights daily there bullets alwayse hit and the enemy never does they have supreme mastery of tactics where as any potential opponent will always walk neatly into there fanciful notions to there doom.

what I have been preaching the entire time I have been here is that people need to worry less on spending $$ on stuff invest in infrastructure grow a garden I have posted threads like how much people spend on food a year on average just having a garden that supplements half your dietary needs would give a family between about $4500-$7,000 that they can use for a rainy day fund or to make more money or to cover emergency expenses

but buying stuffs easy and people are happy they paid $10 for a can of beans for storage when i can plant a 3x3 meter plot of black beans and come out with 80 lbs of the stuff all for a investment of about $3

and sadly most americans are fat lazy and very overconfident and self centered so no I do not think that 90% of the crap people prep for is one in the realm of probability or two well thought out
You've raised some very valid points here.
Personally, my preps are more focused towards the tool side of things.
But I have a better grasp of wilderness survival and native foods than most of the sheeple in my area.
One thing I disagree on though, their isn't really enough bush foods in our local bushland to support the population of 12000 residents in the 3 surrounding suburbs.
I'm counting on as few people as possible knowing how to forage for their own food.
i dont know about the way things are in the land down under but here in the states the average american doesnt get out doors much and most wouldnt know a wild blueberry from your common brown snake

side note alot of the folks my age (20s) are actually afraid of the woods for some reason I do not understand

#29 ·
I think you will find is that most folks here "prep" and it is there version of fantasy football you get to pick the players you want on your team and your games go based on how you assemble your fantasy team

the prepping thing is the same they want to think they can get in running firefights daily there bullets alwayse hit and the enemy never does they have supreme mastery of tactics where as any potential opponent will always walk neatly into there fanciful notions to there doom.

what I have been preaching the entire time I have been here is that people need to worry less on spending $$ on stuff invest in infrastructure grow a garden I have posted threads like how much people spend on food a year on average just having a garden that supplements half your dietary needs would give a family between about $4500-$7,000 that they can use for a rainy day fund or to make more money or to cover emergency expenses

but buying stuffs easy and people are happy they paid $10 for a can of beans for storage when i can plant a 3x3 meter plot of black beans and come out with 80 lbs of the stuff all for a investment of about $3

and sadly most americans are fat lazy and very overconfident and self centered so no I do not think that 90% of the crap people prep for is one in the realm of probability or two well thought out

i dont know about the way things are in the land down under but here in the states the average american doesnt get out doors much and most wouldnt know a wild blueberry from your common brown snake

side note alot of the folks my age (20s) are actually afraid of the woods for some reason I do not understand
wow, could not have said it any better myself, your a yank who gets it, unbelievable!
preps like fantasy football with running fire fights lmao.
10/10
personally i blame nat geo

#6 ·
In some cases I think the learning curve changes direction especially when it comes to survival .
The tragidy is , in some the curve is to raid ,in some the curve is to hide ,in some the curve is to forrage and so on .
Some folk hope to deped on just one knife one gun and one bean ,so to speak ,and during peace time and weekend excursions that's one thing.
Wait till it's the weak end and the unmanaged forest fires leave nothing behind to live on . At least you'll have a lot of charcoal to filter the water through.
People insist on taking toy tools , but expirence tells me real tools are for a life time if cared for well. toy tools are not for years of heavy endurance . And hardly apropreate for fighting fire. If the forest is your new home, fire is not something you say is some one elses problem.
It's your problem ,no matter how it get's started.
No supprize that the forest is s terror to modern kids , it requires thought and being thought full ,and there are critters and turrain that can make life miserable to very short. It's no video game. No reset ,no second chance .
You'd think things like scouting would get really popular right now .

#7 ·
I have been reading the American thread on tools for survival, & it seems to me that lots of people are being very unrealistic in their prepping.
Yes, this is true.

Or maybe it is just that Australia is different & therefore we think differently because our geography is different.
This is true as well.

I have been told time & time again that there is going to be too much competition in wild areas to allow anyone to survive. I disagree. I think many people underestimate how hard it is going to be without the required skills already in place.
I think you're right. But I also think some of those skills are overblown. If you know how to Backpack, you can probably Bug Out on foot. If you know how to Car Camp, you can probably Bug Out with a vehicle. The only things you have to add to those two is the knowledge on how to gather water and food over a long term and protecting yourself from Civil Unrest/Looting.

People who hunt now will hunt if the SHTF.
People who fish now will fish if the SHTF.
People who forage now...

You get the picture.

People who don't do any of that now will fall into three categories:

People who are willing to learn
- some of these will have someone to learn from and some won't

People who aren't willing to learn and think they should be catered to

People who aren't willing to learn and who will try to take what they want from other people

If you take a look at the aftermath of both Hurricane Katrina and the earthquake in Haiti, you'll notice a lot of people that expected the government to take care of them. And some just looted from their neighbors.

Honestly, I don't think most people will leave their city even if they are told to evacuate. Which means they aren't going anywhere near the hunting areas.

I am not going to tell you what you need to do, or what I think you should carry, each to their own. But primitive skills is something that is not learnt overnight, & when you need them, you need them right away. Now is the time to learn & practice, not when you are already in the middle of a survival situation.
This is the common wisdom for prepping.

:thumb:

#8 ·
Yes, this is true.

This is true as well.

I think you're right. But I also think some of those skills are overblown. If you know how to Backpack, you can probably Bug Out on foot. If you know how to Car Camp, you can probably Bug Out with a vehicle. The only things you have to add to those two is the knowledge on how to gather water and food over a long term and protecting yourself from Civil Unrest/Looting.

People who hunt now will hunt if the SHTF.
People who fish now will fish if the SHTF.
People who forage now...

You get the picture.

People who don't do any of that now will fall into three categories:

People who are willing to learn
- some of these will have someone to learn from and some won't

People who aren't willing to learn and think they should be catered to

People who aren't willing to learn and who will try to take what they want from other people

If you take a look at the aftermath of both Hurricane Katrina and the earthquake in Haiti, you'll notice a lot of people that expected the government to take care of them. And some just looted from their neighbors.

Honestly, I don't think most people will leave their city even if they are told to evacuate. Which means they aren't going anywhere near the hunting areas.

This is the common wisdom for prepping.

:thumb:
im sorry but I disagree most of your hunters put out feeders 4 months before deer season and a tree stand then come deer season they shoot the animals conditioned to come to the bait

that is not real hunting most "hunters" in america have never stalked there prey of done much hunting on foot not that there not exceptions but geterally they do not

#12 ·
I personally appreciate the comments contributed by our cousins in the States, but let's not forget this is an Australia/NZ forum, & as I said, our geography is different even though we were once a part of the New World! Some of our wildlife is similar, but most is totally different. The same goes for our flora. Whilst I can name similar species of plants, they grow in very different areas in the States.
Long term wilderness living is not all about hunting & foraging for food, there are other needs. The only true way to be prepared for any survival event that CAN sensibly be survived, is experience. In our group we spend a lot of time researching & experimenting & through experimental archaeology & Historical Trekking we learn & practice the skills we will need. We already know that the gear/equipment & trail foods we have chosen & use work. I think in that respect we are probably better prepared than most.
I am not going into this with any blinkers on. I have already survived cyclone Tracey & gained a lot of experience from that. I have lived for over 30 years in the bush & do not see the world through rose tinted glasses. The only one I am putting my faith in is me. Things happen, sometimes when you least expect them to. Like I said, it will not be easy for anyone if such a "bug-out" scenario should occur. We have our own forest, extensive gardens, two houses that are totally self-sufficient off the grid, & we have the people & the gear. But even with this I am still prepared to walk away if we can't hold it & keep our people safe.
Keith.

#21 ·
I got an Abbo mate who takes me out hunting and tracking the blackfella way,his missus knows more about the gathering then him but it's hard to get her out some weekends.It's all local(Within a 100km radius),he's mob have lived here for eons,in return I've been showing/helping his family with growing western style veggies,He don't mind cause it's what they tend to buy weekly anyway.

If we have to bug out it will be with his mob,we've talked about it and their fine with that so I'm confident we'll get by.

#23 ·
thanks i hope it goes well, just out of curiosity how many aboriginals in austrailia still practice the older traditions? or have most modernized? I would love to spend a summer learning in austrailia one day

#25 ·
" but that is the sort of place you would need to look for."

Not exactly correct Keith,I have mates that live in several towns/city's in the CWSP's area that practice the old ways even while living a western/****** lifestyle.Sure it's nothing as hands on day to day like Arhnem Land but they don' lack any of the traditional skills that they have used for the local area,it's all area related,I'd offer that what works up north isn't allways as relevent down south.Message sticks(cartography),firelighting,tracking could all be the same but if one was to be just plopped into the others area It would be a learning curve to overcome,something I'm am sure you are well aware of,but yes missions,even localised within town limits,would be the best place to INQUIRE about such things but unless you have local connections it might not be as easy as just walking in and saying hey can I learn,real life is not a TV show.

FarmerJohn:"I would love to spend a summer learning in austrailia one day",sadly it's not just that simple if you want to learn from indiginous people but,give me the winter any day.

With all due respect.

#26 ·
Thanks for this thread le loup...some very salient points raised by you and in the replies - I am digesting them as fast as I can. I think our American brothers and sisters have a different situation but that which fits into our situ is brilliant and informative. The plants are all different I reckon! I am rapt at how our fellow survivalists in the States are preparing for the Very long haul and total breakdown of society whereas I have basically been preparing to be a haven for my family 'for a time' after a disaster. Knowledge is no weight to carry and I am gleaning it as fast as I can. I hope to build on their wisdom in my own situation. I also think it would be a wise move to invest in Les Hiddens THE BUSH TUCKER MAN series! They are pure wisdom for Australians looking to 'go bush'.

Retreat-ed you are very wise! My grandmother was Kamilaroi and hopefully some genetic memory has been passed down to me. ( Maybe that's why I just don't feel to be ensconced in a 'safe haven' but will be on the move. The time will come I feel when we will need to go 'walkabout' to survive. Though hopefully not TOO soon. I do love my air conditioner!) lol

#27 ·
For the primitives among us. Part One.
The Trustees for establishing the Colony of GEORGIA in America,
ordered a new Town to be built in that Colony, and an Embarkation
to be made for that Purpose. They were pleased to appoint me to
be Keeper of the Stores.
The following Rules were given for the Embarkation, viz.

Rules for the Year 1735.

The Trustees intend this Year to lay out a County, and build a new
Town in Georgia.
They will give to such Persons as they send upon the Charity,

To every Man, A Watch-Coat,
A Musket and Bayonet,
An Hatchet,
An Hammer,
An Hand-saw,
A shod Shovel or Spade,
A broad Hoe,
A narrow Hoe,
A Gimlet,
A drawing Knife,
An Iron Pot, and a pair of Pot-hooks,
A Frying-pan,
And a publick Grindstone to each Ward or Village.
Each working Man will have for his Maintenance in the Colony for one Year,
312 lib. of Beef or Pork,
104 lib. of Rice,
1043 lib. of Indian Corn, or Pease,
104 lib. of Flower,
1 Pint of Strong-beer a Day to a Man when he works, and not otherwise,
52 quarts of Molasses for brewing Beer,

16 lib. of Cheese,

12 lib of Butter,
8 oz. of Spice,
12 lib. of Sugar,
4 Gallons of Vinegar,
24 lib. of Salt,
12 Quarts of Lamp-Oil, and
1 lib. of Spun-Cotton,
12 lib. of Soap.
Part Two etc:
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/a-voyage-to-georgia-begun-15th-of_12.html

#35 ·
"And now for something completely different" :)
It is harvest time here in New England, & also time to do the winter crops planting & cutting fire wood for winter fires. We cook on a wood fired stove year round, but in winter we use twice as much wood firing up the heater, so we need to have a good wood supply in the wood shed.
Whilst I agree with Farmer John re the gardens & growing your own food, many do not have that option. People with any garden space in towns & cities should grow food, but for those who can't, their best option is to prepare re foods, equipment, & skills, & try & get some more people together & form a group.
If you know someone like me in your area, who also runs a group already, then you would be wise to join, because you stand a far better chance of surviving in a group that is already set up with land, & the group members can teach you skills you will need. You need to learn & practice now, so IF tshtf, you will be ready & know exactly what to do.
Take care.
Keith.

#41 ·
Thanks ozjoel. Spot on mate. And as a sugar cane farmer I am here to tell you there isn't one cane farmer who wouldn't sell his farm if could because it sure doesn't make any money. Too many people are making a living off the farmer's back. They eat the peach and we get left with the seed. The average age of sugar cane farmers is around 67 and not many sons want to take over an enterprise that just bleeds money away. (Besides, it would be child abuse to pass it on to your kids.) The NWO does not intend for Australia to be the bread basket it used to be. When a nation cannot feed itself it belongs to which ever one provides the food!

#44 ·
I have been reading the American thread on tools for survival, & it seems to me that lots of people are being very unrealistic in their prepping. Or maybe it is just that Australia is different & therefore we think differently because our geography is different.
I have been told time & time again that there is going to be too much competition in wild areas to allow anyone to survive. I disagree. I think many people underestimate how hard it is going to be without the required skills already in place. People are busy adding this & that to their "Bug-Out" bag & vehicle, & the adding never seems to stop. If any of these people ever have to ditch their vehicle, there is going to be a lot of gear left behind.
Think about the tools you will need to help you settle in the wilderness. Not just weapons, but tools for starting gardens, for constructing shelters. Some of these tools are heavy, so you have to choose wisely. You only carry what you NEED. Do you take tool handles or do you make them on site & just carry the tool heads? What tools could double as weapons & therefore be carried with handles?
Never forget Pots they are one of the hardest things to make or improvise.
Learning to make things or even working with ones hands soon teaches what tools will be needed unfortunately kids and plenty of adults today dont have any idea how to do things for them selves or even how things work.

for instance my wife fixed my sons car this morning(in order to get the parts needed to fix it properly need a new coil lead) to my daughters amazement my wife popped the bonnet zip tied the coil cable back on itself(worn in half) to get the current to run.....something i am going to have to work on but people have no....interest in learning old school things as they dont see the need and you crazy if you try to tell them other wise.......yes it frustrates me as my parents and grandparents all made it clear how hard their lives had been and encouraged any out door type efforts i made...camping(mountains forest cold hot and Deserts) hunting ,fishing, bush tucker etc etc

Who in your group carries what?
If you are travelling as a small family the importance of your choices are far greater. Do your children have their own packs? Are they used to carrying these packs? Will they "spit the dummy" if the time ever comes to leave home fast? Do you take modern firearms or 18th century firearms? Do you carry a bow? Who picks the trail? Who is rear guard? There is a lot of thinking & deciding to do if you have not done it already, & you better be ready when the time comes to go.
So, are you ready yet?
some of this is shown above but this is a Big issue in my case(and other peoples) people like a soft easy life and they have had it so long that they cannot imagine it any other way :(

so yes there will be Dummy spits

IF you have a group who are fit and mentally prep'ed then half the fight is won just learn about shelter food and the environment you! have to fit into

Just as a General question did the Bush tucker man ever come to Tas...... as i know there's not much out there to eat in the way of native plants

#45 ·
Edible Flora.

Just as a General question did the Bush tucker man ever come to Tas...... as i know there's not much out there to eat in the way of native plants[/QUOTE said:
No, he had a contract to search out useful plants in the Territory only as far as I know.
But knowing what there is not is good, that way you do not waste valuable time & energy looking for it.
Regards, Keith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.