Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’m starting a thread here, where we can post all things relating to all of us doing what we can to prevent getting the virus. I’ve found numerous treatment remedies that if started early enough can help prevent or reduce effects. I’m sure others have found things on line as well.

That’s what this thread is for,. Please no arguing or making someone wrong, if there is a mistake, point it out, give a link so we can correct it.

This thread is to help all of us and our friends and family.

Imma gonna make several posts, one about methods of avoidance.

Some of the stuff is very basic and we all know it already, but newcomers may not, or you may want to pass on some of these things to colleagues, friends, neighbors, etc.

another post on onset of symptoms.

And then I will add info I’ve found regarding remedies and practices to use IMMEDIATELY upon onset of symptom.

Please everyone add any info you find as well.

On the remedies, I will focus mainly on those that do have some science backed confirmation and provide links wherever possible.

I will also try to include a section with recipes of effective remedies.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PREVENTION Tips

ISOLATE is the most effective method to not get infected

if you DO have to go out, take note:

virus can be spread by air, in addition to staying alive on surfaces like counter tops, desks, water fountains, door handles, inside cars and buses, product packages on store shelves that someone else handled, or sneezed-on or coughed-on,* - including ones that get delivered by mail, FedEx, UPS, etc. --*Cash, cash tills, shopping carts, elevator buttons,, etc.

Hygiene is incredibly important, do not touch your face with your hands, as your hands can be contaminated. Wash your hands thoroughly, here is a link on how to properly wash your hands

If you must go out, wear a mask, N95 or 100 or better, goggles, if you can, get a medical/dental visor similar to link. I've seen them on ebay.

https://aimsmedical.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2519

wear a plastic cap and put the visor on over it, just like the medical staff do. Leave the cap on. wear rubber/nitrile Gloves. You will look and feel ridiculous, that’s ok.

The absolute moment you get home,*take off your shoes and leave them in the foyer.* Don’t walk around in the house with shoes you wore outside.
Next: Go to the bathroom, take off your clothing, put it in a hamper or plastic bag,*and take a shower.**You need to wash off any virus that may have landed on your body or hair, while you were out.
Put on clean garments.**Don’t sit in your chair or lay on your couch or bed in clothing you wore outside.* The virus will come off the clothing, onto the furniture and pow, someone in the house catches it.
Make every person in your household do this the absolute moment they come home.*

Again, when you go out of the house, touch as little as possible. DO NOT touch your face.

Do NOT use public bathrooms. THere is 'fecal-oral' transmission and airborne transmission.

When using your own bathroom, make sure to shut the lid before flushing as the flush makes an aerosol

Interim Guidelines for Cleaning and Disinfection of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COIND-19) in Residences

https://www.gov.sg/article/5-steps-to-clean-and-disinfect-homes-possibly-exposed-to-ncov

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STAY HEALTHY

1. This seems to be one of THE most important things you can do for your health: GET 8 HOURS MINIMUM OF SLEEP PER NIGHT, PREFERABLY 2 HOURS BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND THE REST OF THE HOuRS AFTER, this is per Dr. MedCrem Youtube Link:

2. Stay hydrated

3. excersize

4. Do things that keep you upbeat, laugh, keep in communication with people, do things you enjoy.

5. Eat foods and herbs that are anti-inflamatory : https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320233#foods-to-eat -
such as
- Whole grains:* fiber- associated with fewer signs of inflammation.
- Berries and tart cherries:* high in antioxidants - berries particularly have anti-inflammatory properties- Olive oil:*
- Cruciferous vegetables:*-has antioxidants,- protecting body from free radicals which prompt inflammation.
- Fatty fish:*salmon and sardines, makcerel contain omega-3 fatty acids providing anti-inflammatory -try to eat several times a week, or take fish oil supplement. .
- Tomatoes:*rich in lycopene, which can reduce inflammation in the lungs and elsewhere in the body.
- Peppers:*antioxidants- vitamin C. and capsaicin, a chemical reducing inflammation. People with rheumatoid arthritis should be careful with peppers and tomotes (nightshade family)
- Leafy greens:*Spinach, kale and other dark leafy greens . Especially veg like kale, cabbage, sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower are known to be good anti-inflamatory foods
- Apples:*
- Nuts:*Walnuts contain omega-3s, almonds and macadamias contain oleic acid, nearly all nuts help body fight inflammation.
- Garlic and onions:* anti-inflammatory chemicals like the antioxidant quercetin, which naturally inhibits histamine.
- Ginger and turmeric:*Turmeric has particularly potent anti-inflammatory compound.
- Carrots, squash, sweet potato:*
- Yoghurt - reduces inflammation by improving the integrity of the intestinal lining. And, by bolstering this layer of tissue, endotoxins — produced by gut bacteria — cannot cross into the bloodstream and promote inflammation
- Beets:* anti inflammatory
- Beans:*Add at least 2 servings of black beans, chickpeas, lentils, pinto beans, red beans, or black-eyed peas to your diet per week, but preferably more.
- Tea:*White, green, and oolong tea in particular help reduce inflammation.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Do NOT use public bathrooms. THere is 'fecal-oral' transmission and airborne transmission. You know the WHOOSH and gust of air when you flush a public toilet? Yup. You just got a dose of fecal and airborne, there. I'm sure we'd all rather not, right?

Yeah, I sound like a germaphobe grandma. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The next step is to find and take those remedies that will help prevent you getting the virus or reduce the symptoms.

What is very very important is to do some of this before you get the virus, and some of the items you should do or take immediately upon noticing first symptom.

So here is a list of the symptoms:

Fever
Fatigue
Dry cough
Anorexia
Myalgia (muscle pain)
Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
Expectoration (ejecting phlegm or mucus from the throat or lungs by coughing, hawking, or spitting
Pharyngalgia (Sore Throat)
Diarhea
Nausea
Diszziness
Heachache
Vomiting
Abdominal Pain

I'm still working on compiling the remedies etc in some kind of sensible order, they will come later,
thanks

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do NOT use public bathrooms. THere is 'fecal-oral' transmission and airborne transmission. You know the WHOOSH and gust of air when you flush a public toilet? Yup. You just got a dose of fecal and airborne, there. I'm sure we'd all rather not, right?

Yeah, I sound like a germaphobe grandma. Oh well.
Thanks! I've added it in there

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is much truth in the old saying that, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness".

We went to the dollar store and stocked up on unscented bleach, scrub pads, non-latex gloves, and lots of bar soap. A trip to the auto store brought in the heavy duty blue shop paper towels. Once you are done wiping down counters, etc. throw away and get it out of the house immediately.

Got some Turmeric and natural honey. One teaspoon of Turmeric and add honey until the Turmeric mixes in. Take this once or twice a day. I add a small amount of real grated horseradish (I have several roots). From what I understand this will help boost your gut and immune system and the horseradish will definitely keep your sinuses clear.

Additionally, we eat a small clove of garlic everyday. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I might add, that if it becomes necessary... I went to Home Depot and got several of the heavy plastic drop cloths, a few extra 5 gallon buckets with lids, Gorilla Tape, and tall kitchen trashbags.

Coming into my house I have to go through the laundry room. Any clothing will be removed and put into the washer. The plastic drop cloths will be put up as an entry/exit doorway. Shoes are "stored" in the trashbags and pocket contents are "stored" in large freezer bags. The buckets can be used for soap and water scrub downs before entering the house.

Just trying to plan for the worst and to think a little bit ahead.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, it is night time here, so last post on this thread for today, ok?

One of the difficulties that seems to occur with COVID-19 is something called cytokine storm, where too many antibodies rush to the bodies defense in the area of attack. this causes lungs to “flood”

Per the following link No. 1 below:

"It is good to eat immune system boosting foods before you catch the virus, however, at first sign of symptom, stop specific immune system boosters. No Beta Glucans, No Echinacea, Maitake, etc.

But do immediately take antiviral remedies. One of the most potent natural antivirals is olive leaf extract, or Oleuropein. This is a strong antiviral that does not cause cytokine storm.

Extracts from olive leaves have been shown to treat infection caused by a large number of viruses as well as bacteria, parasitic protozoans, and fungi. A phytochemical in olive leaf, call oleuropein, is able to stop viruses in their tracks. Oleuropein neutralizes the enzymes that are important for the virus to replicate itself and spread. Oleuropein also has the ability to interfere with the critical amino acid production essential for viruses.

You can get olive leaf extract on ebay, possibly amazon as well, it is best to get the highest amount of Oleuropein . normally they sell 20% but 40% is best, sometimes you can get 50% It comes in capsules, the expiry date is normally after two years. According to instruction - take 3 caps a day when needed.

References:
1) https://doctorsnutrition.com/the-natural-antiviral-effects-of-lysine-and-olive-leaf-extract/
2) https://www.drugs.com/npp/olive-leaf.html
3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6412187/

tomorrrow more antivirals info

·
Registered
187 Posts
One of the most potent natural antivirals is olive leaf extract, or Oleuropein. This is a strong antiviral that does not cause cytokine storm.
Does anyone know how to determine if this is safe to take if you're highly allergic to olive trees? I can and do eat olives with no problems but I have to stay far, far away from olive trees.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
If all you have are disposable N95 respirators (they are not masks!), make sure you use tape to seal it to your face.

A much better choice instead of disposable N95 respirators would be a half-face respirator with replaceable P100 cartridges. Better seal. Higher protection.

Looks like this:

Mask and cartridges can be had for less than $50.

EDIT: DON'T FORGET UNVENTED EYE PROTECTION!!!

a good, cheap alternative are swim goggles...

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
This week has been all about my respirator setup.

My purchases so far:

Respirators
1 - 3m 7503 half-face respirator mask
1 - Mestel 400/3 full-face Gas Mask

Eye protection
1- Uvex Seismic Reading Magnifier Black Frame Safety Glasses (they're vented.. gonna tape over the vents)

Filters
12 - 3m 7093B P100 cartridges
2 - 3M 60926 Multi Gas, Vapor Cartridge, Filter, P100 (2 Pack)
3 - 3M Powerflow 450-01-01High-Efficiency SP3 Particulate Filter

Still need to source
Carrier method (Gas Mask Bag, other bag type)
Currently using a Hazard PlanB

Also considering fleshing out a PAPR system:
Scott/Micronel C420 PAPR blower with 2 batteries & charger
Scott/Micronel C420 breathing tube

Reactions: Daisy

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Antiviral Remedy

Elderberry- Sambucus ***** has been researched as per just some of the links below and does provide antiviral properties which are effective at combatting virus at the initial stages, and some papers erveal even in later stages. Basically it prevents the virus from taking hold. Read the links for more info.

Elderberry extract and syrup have been used effectively to combat flue and upper resperatory symptoms.

I will give a recipe for syrup and tincture below.

It is important to note that there are many types of elderberry, and only Sambucus ***** should be used as a remedy.

It is also important to note 1) to NEVER eat the raw elderberry, as this is toxic, cooking and drying breaks down these toxins 2) it is important to use only the ripe, black berry, those not ripe or not black, whether dried or cooked, will be toxic.

It is useful to take elderberry syrup or tincture on a daily basis during flu season, and increase dosage at the first sign of symptoms.

Here is the recipe I use and I will explain below the recipe why the other ingredients are included.

The dose recommended is:
1-3 TBSP per day for flu prevention
1 TBSP every 2/3 hours AT FIRST SIGN OF FLU. (or 5 TBSP per day)

Elderberry Syrup
USE BLACK ELDERBERRIES ONLY
use fork to pull the berries from stems if fresh (MAKE SURE TO REMOVE ALL STEMS and BERRIES THAT ARE NOT BLACK)
2/3 cup elderberries dry or fresh
3 1/2 cups water
2TBSP fresh/dried ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove or powder
optional (add some star anise) 1 or two pods

boil 45 mins to an hour, let cool till still warm
add 1 cup raw honey when not "hot" anymore, mix and bottle - store in fridge for 2 weeks or store portion in freezer and some in fridge

1-3 TBSP per day for flu prevention
1 TBSP every 2/3 hours AT FIRST SIGN OF FLU. (or 5 TBSP per day)

Larger batches
ratio elderberries to water 1:5
for every 2 cup of elderberry, 6 TB Ginger, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1.5 tsp clove, 3 anise

I have this year made the syrup without the honey, bottled it and frozen in freezer. When I am ready for the next batch, I take what I need, warm it, add honey (don’t over heat in order not to destroy the useful properties of the honey) and then put in fridge.

This coming year I will can the elderberry/spice juice without honey but with lemon/citric acid, so that if anything happens to freezer, I still have the syrup. I will add the honey when I open the next jar.

I will also dry elderberries this year and store.

Reasons to add spices:
Ginger: strong anti-inflamatory, reduces nausea, Fresh ginger may also be effective against the RSV virus, a common cause of respiratory infections

Cinnamon: There are two types of Cinnamon, Ceylon and Cassia, Ceylon cinnamon is safest as it has lower coumarin content, the high coumarin content of casia cinnamon will cause blood thinning. Ceylon Cinnamon sticks are curled little sticks that are flaky, Casia cinnamon is a stick, thick and hard to break. The benefits of cinnamon are: Anti inflamatory, antiviral (see ref., 10 below.

Clove: MAY reduce fever, anti-inflamatory

Star Anise - anti-oxidant, cough suppressant and throat relief. See ref. 11 below

Elderberry Tincture:
Fill a clean sterile jar 1/4 of the way, if using dried elderberries, or 1/2 of the way if using fresh berries. Add a few pinches of antiviral herbs, if you’d like. add 100 proof Add vodka to the jar until it’s almost filled to the top. Stir with knife or chopstick to remove bubbles, add more vodka if necessary. Cover with a lid, label, and tuck in a dark cabinet for 6 weeks, or longer. Strain and pour the elderberry infused liquid into glass jars or bottles. Tincture lasts several years.

References
1) http://pharmabiz.com/PrintArticle.aspx?aid=121160&sid=9
2) https://www.pulmonologyadvisor.com/...ementation-reduce-upper-respiratory-symptoms/
3) https://medicine.news.am/eng/news/2...y-fruit-can-help-fight-against-influenza.html
4) http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/elderberries-influenza-virus-07145.html
5) https://www.researchgate.net/public...Effects_of_Elderberry_Juice_and_Its_Fractions
6) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899428/
7) https://mdanderson.elsevierpure.com...f-sambucus-formosananakai-ethanol-extract-and
8) https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190423133644.htm
9) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15080016
10) https://nyscas.touro.edu/news--even...innamon-research-presented-at-asm-meeting.php
11) https://healthyfocus.org/star-anise-benefits

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Prepared - 7.5ⓖ
617 Posts
PPE

Howdy y'all! Back from extended hiatus for the next infectious concern. Ill add my .02 on the PPE topic by re-posting my Ebola PPE post:

Alright folks, I think we need to take a deep breath regarding PPE. In the interest of not pointing fingers, I'm not quoting anyone. If you are looking for a definitive answer for "which mask/covering should I buy right now" - this STILL isn't it. Because the goal here is to get you to understand the difference in levels of protection, and decide for yourself what is going to work for you and yours. Likewise none of us can tell you whether you need 100# of rice or 1000#. You need to read.

I'm going to lay things out as best I can without this occupying an entire page. I'm gonna give a range of options - again it's not going to be 100% of the options. You need to read.

The main goal here is to eliminate or minimize the amount of bare skin that is available to be contacted by virulent material. That is a specifically vague statement. We don't know what we don't know. It's an evolving situation, and I can almost guarantee our perception is going to be different next week, next month etc. You need to read about it.

(Get the hint?) Let's get started!

--------------------------------------
Masks - in order of protection level, lowest to highest
  • Elastic ear loop flu masks
  • Elastic ear loop N95 <--where CDC says is fine
  • Elastic ear loop P95
  • Elastic ear loop N100
  • Elastic ear loop P100
  • Half mask with filter of choice
  • Full face respirator/filter
  • Respirator with detached filter
  • Gas mask of choice
  • Any of the above with a filtered positive pressure source (aka Moon suit)
I have ear loop N95s in every single bag I or my wife will have with us if the wheels come off the train. Why? They are cheap. $.50 each if you buy 20 or more. This is my backup plan, because they are damn near impossible to seal to your face. We can debate 1 micron vs .5 micron all day long. Actually, I'm not doing it again. If you rely on $.50 mask without taping that sucker to your noggin, you're going to have a bad time. Our primary is a half mask with P100 filters, and if things really go sideways some acid/vapor cartridges. I expect to have to shave my goatee, and plan on duct taping it to my face. Can things happen that would require full face and/or positive pressure? Yup, but I ain't going there, mainly because I can't shoot from behind it. If I can't shoot from behind it there's no point. But that's just me, and that's why we have a dedicated NBC section with some damn fine folks that can address your concerns.

PPE eye protection - i'm winging it here a bit
  • Safety glasses
  • Safety goggles
  • Splash shield <--CDC seems to be about here
  • Swim goggles
  • Ski goggles
  • Full face respirator
  • Moon suit
I'm planning on wearing my Oakley Half Jacket XLJ glasses in most cases. I have safety glasses, safety goggles and ski goggles elsewhere that aren't part of a preparedness kit. CDC shows pictures of healthcare workers with any of the first 3, but sends their own folks in with ski goggles and above in most cases. Meh - I've had rocks kicked up at me at 80mph and my Oakley's stopped them. I have multiple lenses. They hug the contour of my face. Will I have bare skin? Yup, tailor made for duct tape. But guess what - I can shoot from behind my Oakley's. See any trends developing?

PPE gloves
  • Plastic foodservice type
  • Rubber/latex <-- CDC is here
  • Nitrile
  • Nitrile coated cloth
I like the nitrile gloves, because they will survive exposure to a lot of chemicals. I am planning on double gloving using 2 contrasting colors. This will help with tear identification should the outer glove get breached. If I know I'm going to have contact with a sickie, I likely will triple glove. All my gloves I currently have are wrist length.
PPE clothing
  • Bandana, ski mask, t-shirt pulled up like a Missouri looter
  • Paper coverall, with hood or paper head covering <--CDC seems here
  • Tyvek coverall
  • Coated Tyvek coverall
  • Coated Tyvek moon suit
  • Rubber moon suit
  • Nitrile moon suit

Relying on the first item, especially soaked in anything, is just ridiculous IMO. As far as the second item, funny again that alot of the pictures show healthcare workers in country and hospitals in paper coveralls or gowns. As someone mentioned earlier, if it gets wet, you're hosed. It's temporary protection, better than nothing, but still insufficient. Don't believe me? What does CDC deploy their folks in? You got it - coated Tyvek, rubber or nitrile. I have plain old Tyvek in those aforementioned bags, but my main goto is going to be the coated Tyvek QC. It has a hood that fits reasonably close to my masks and eye protection. Care to guess why I don't have a moon suit? It's too expensive. Hahahahaha gotcha! I can't shoot from behind it.

Please allow me to digress for a moment. Am I a violent person? Nope. I do get labeled a gun nut automatically because I'm from Texas. I do happen to like guns. They are amazingly efficient marvels of harnessing physics to accomplish a simple goal. My SHTF currency is lead. Do I plan on going marauding and come get your preps? Nope. But I am also not going to play rock-paper-scissors for something left in the open. I'm all about sharing if we get there at the same time. Don't want to share? Well, I'd venture to say I'm more prepared than the average Joe for what comes next.

You don't have to share my views. Likewise I don't have a need to convince you of mine. I read a lot, and am always willing to share anything I've learned. I love intelligent debate, even banter. We can even get all emotional about it. I'm still going to hand you a beer, whiskey or whatever when we're done, and we're gonna hug it out.

Back on topic!

Like any of the preparation activities, you are limited only by your budget - relative to what your level of comfortable protection is. You have to strike a balance, otherwise you will go nuts with neurosis or broke. Or maybe both. Logistically, your location may limit what you have access to. I would bet money at this point, that a high percentage of the HCWs that have become infected, had mediocre eye protection, and paper gowns. Likely because that's all they could get.

Never underestimate the importance of clear plastic sheeting and duct tape. It's PPE, shelter building materials, funeral arrangements, water gathering....

If you haven't figured that out yet, welcome to Survivalist Boards!

And you need to read.

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts