Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Not bad, good info, but just variations of the same stuff many of us have heard, a thousand times, at least for me, since MCRD San Diego in 1983.

[that's funny someone posted that he's a Marine...I just noticed it after I clicked. That's why its familiar...]

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Perception is NOT reality
671 Posts
It was a good video; I think I'm up to par on all of the suggestions (I haven't cleared 1000 FTF, my damn gun doesn't jam enough:D: I guess I need to buy some more crappy reloads).
Get some dummy loads (snap caps) and mix them in with your live ammo when you are practicing. Not the same as a jam but it will at least force you to occasionally practice clearing the dummy load from your weapon.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Get some dummy loads (snap caps) and mix them in with your live ammo when you are practicing. Not the same a jam but it will at least force you to occasionally practice clearing the dummy load from your weapon.
thats what i do also helps identify flinching

that said I find the vid to be very good but i think people overplay the widespreadedness of the violence

and if someones in the bushes and is going to pop you on the way to the outhouse not much you can do about it

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good video, for sure!

BUUUT... though I appreciate the overall "you're underprepared, don't underestimate the enemy" message, I don't think it's particularly reasonable to compare SHTF to a war.

Looters and typical SHTF threats will not be military-grade soldiers. I fully understand that if I were to run into someone with military training, I'd be very lucky to survive at all. I also don't think I can reasonably prepare to be on par with that type of person -- I know I can't.

I prepare to defend against typical, maybe armed, looter types. That's what I'm capable of.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Good video, for sure!

BUUUT... though I appreciate the overall "you're underprepared, don't underestimate the enemy" message, I don't think it's particularly reasonable to compare SHTF to a war.

Looters and typical SHTF threats will not be military-grade soldiers. I fully understand that if I were to run into someone with military training, I'd be very lucky to survive at all. I also don't think I can reasonably prepare to be on par with that type of person -- I know I can't.

I prepare to defend against typical, maybe armed, looter types. That's what I'm capable of.
that is not true there alot of gangs sending there cleaner kids into the military to teach them what they learn upon getting out
I know of at least one latin king that was in my unit that was also a sniper
so yes there will be some nasty cats running around and some that teach others a guy that goes in for a year or 4 can teach a whole gang how to do mout pretty well and clear houses

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
a good way to assess your combat ability is to play paintball. get a group of friends and go through an entire game of capture the flag without getting paint on yourself. to make it more interesting, put some money in it. $500 per person or something. those who get shot lose their money. those who survived at the end split the pot.

yeah, it's a game, but it will open your eyes that it's not easy.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts