Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if you guys had anything to add to these videos. What is your favorite type of snake to eat and what has the best flavor? What wild spices and edibles do you pick on your survival trips?

·
Spectre
595 Posts
Ive never had the opportunity to try it. I have heard it taste like gator fried
(fried gator taste like chicken to me). I actually got pretty grossed out by eating snake when I saw that man women wild show and they cleaned the boa that was full of worms. That and I have a hard time identifying the poisonous ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
rattlesnake is my absolute fav for taste. It does taste a bit like gator i guess-but it has a very distinct flavor. its easy to prepare. cut off the head. i prefer to slice it into roughly 1-1.5" medallions. remove the inards from within the meat. peel off the skin-just like fish, you don't have to peel non-scaly or small snakes. give it a nice grill over open flame-cook it just like a steak medallion. i like a bit of everglades seasoning-celery salt, red pepper, garlic. also add a bit of shrimp boil seasoning like old bay if you fear the flavor the first time.

aquatic snakes always taste like garbage, but are still edible.

smaller snakes like rats, garters, and milkies-just lop off the head and throw it over the fire. once the skin is a bit charred and crispy eat it whole. the way i see it, if i'm eating a rat snake or milk snake, its for survival. if i'm eating a rattler i probably have a choice. NEVER EVER EVER EVER attempt to catch, kill, and eat a rattlesnake(or any venomous species) in a survival situation. The calories are not worth the potential risk of a bite. Even ingesting a healthy dose of the venom will likely make you a bit sick-not a problem at home, but in the field or on the go, diarrhea is a killer-literally, you need all the water you can get.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
rattlesnake is my absolute fav for taste. It does taste a bit like gator i guess-but it has a very distinct flavor. its easy to prepare. cut off the head. i prefer to slice it into roughly 1-1.5" medallions. remove the inards from within the meat. peel off the skin-just like fish, you don't have to peel non-scaly or small snakes. give it a nice grill over open flame-cook it just like a steak medallion. i like a bit of everglades seasoning-celery salt, red pepper, garlic. also add a bit of shrimp boil seasoning like old bay if you fear the flavor the first time.

aquatic snakes always taste like garbage, but are still edible.

smaller snakes like rats, garters, and milkies-just lop off the head and throw it over the fire. once the skin is a bit charred and crispy eat it whole. the way i see it, if i'm eating a rat snake or milk snake, its for survival. if i'm eating a rattler i probably have a choice. NEVER EVER EVER EVER attempt to catch, kill, and eat a rattlesnake(or any venomous species) in a survival situation. The calories are not worth the potential risk of a bite. Even ingesting a healthy dose of the venom will likely make you a bit sick-not a problem at home, but in the field or on the go, diarrhea is a killer-literally, you need all the water you can get.
The toxin in a rattlesnake is in the venom in its head only. Cut the head off and BURY it...even when the snake is dead, the venom can still kill. Rattlesnake is supposed to be quite good. They have rattlesnake round-ups in Texas every year, with samples of rattlesnake meat, but I never went to one when I lived there, wish I had.

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope more people have that mentality when shtf, cause that means more for me! Mmmmhhh! Its actually pretty good, you should give it a try sometime. Does kind of taste like gator like the guy above said. Can't believe I didn't think of frying it, that would be good. I think boil the meat till eat easly comes off the bone, then flash fry in some corn meal flour.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The toxin in a rattlesnake is in the venom in its head only. Cut the head off and BURY it...even when the snake is dead, the venom can still kill. Rattlesnake is supposed to be quite good. They have rattlesnake round-ups in Texas every year, with samples of rattlesnake meat, but I never went to one when I lived there, wish I had.
True lanahi. It just must be known that when preparing rattler, getting any venom into the meat you are going to prepare can cause some stomach discomfort. trace amounts won't likely matter, but like you said, cut it off and bury it first, then cut your steaks just to be safe.

rextex, it is possible that the snake you ate had recently eaten itself. it is common for reptiles like snakes who eat prey bigger than them to taste quite a bit like the digestive process if they are served to early after they feed.

Just like i said before, in a survival situation, venomous snakes-or dangerous animals in general, should be AVOIDED. its not worth the calories to try and catch them. But if you have the opportunity to cook your own in a non-SHTF situation, they are quite good. just look for one who isn't lumpy! lol. also, the more active a snake is, the less likely he has eaten recently-a double edged sword though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts