Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Blasphemer
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get prepared, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm in the military, but I get out in 6 months. I assume that where I live when I start college will not be a good bug-in location. It seems like a bug-out-bag is the best solution. It is hard to prepare on a limited budget.

I currently have the following:

1. Package of water purification packets.
2. PX4 Storm with around 300 rounds.
3. Remington 770 with 60 rounds.

I thought about using one of my extra military duffel bags and filling it with canned food and such. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance. :upsidedown:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
LG,

Thanks for your service.

Wow, where to start. I would suggest you start off by looking at what types of events you are planning for. Next are you bugging in or out. If in, harden the target. If out, where to and what will it take to get you there on foot?

There are lots of threads here and internet videos on Bug Out Bags. One guy on youtube I'd suggest is AnalyticalSurvival. I'm at a place that blocks youtube so I can't post a link. I think hes a former Army Medic. Bug Out Bag and/or Get Home Bag maybe both. Kev, the site owner has a lot of great videos on youtube too. That's how I found the forum

After that, start looking at food, water and shelter. Then medical, especially anything you or a family needs, medication, test equipment etc.

The sky is the limit.

Being you are in the military and I'm a taxpayer, I pay your salary. As such, I think you should be entitled to any loose gear the military is going to dispose of.

While you are putting things together, start working on skills, food preservation, hunting/trapping, gardening and the list goes on.

There are a ton of folks on the forum here who are smart and willing to offer advice.

Again, thanks for your service. I sleep better at night knowing you folks are out there.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,173 Posts
Dehydrated food is much lighter, and does not make noise like canned food.
Get a good hand held water filtration unit for water to rehydrate the food.
If your uint has an FTX in the next six months and MRE's will be issued, save yours for your BOB. Take some Pogey Bait to munch on if you need to.
Get a good camelback for drinking water, and a pack would be better than the duffle bag. A pack has external storage pockets, so you don't have to dig through the duffel for something you packed near the bottom.
What's your Branch & MOS /AFSC ?
I retired from the Army in 94. I was Infantry for 7 years and Transportation for the last 13.
Thank you my brother for your service.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
How much gear will they let you get out with..?.. can you get some packs and such and take it with you, or buy it now and move it off base..?..... I would try to get some military grade gear and then move forward from there........

·
RKBA SNBI
187 Posts
Remember the rule of 3's:
3 seconds to panic
3 minutes to die w/o oxygen (or without self defense)
3 hours for exposure (cold/heat)
3 days to dehydrate
3 weeks to starve

Handle the shortest term issues first: Guns, clothing and shelter, water.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brother Gopher,

Thanks for your service. Make sure if you haven't already gotten your concealed carry you do. Usually a DD214 will suffice. Network with your buddies and keep in touch. Take advantage of your Tution assistance and Free CLEP/Dantes while you are still in. Figure out your Mission Statement first and then develop COAs off of that. Take care.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Thanks for your service.

You have been in the service long enough to make friends. I hope you have made friends with other service men/women. Are any of them of the prepping mind, and are they out of the service? If so, you might want to link up with them.

Another option would be to contact your fellow service men/women and see if any of them want to start a prep group? This might give you an idea or area to settle in and get things going.

Good luck.

·
On Twitter @liamkfisher
428 Posts
Find a small college in a small town, get a degree in nursing, and work in a larger hospital on the weekends (making shift diff) and spend your weekdays working on the small farm you will purchase with your pay from your nursing job. Check places like Utah, Idaho, and Arkansas. Get away from the big cities and major highways. Learn to grow food, and invest in real assets -- livestock, tractors, land, housing, and so forth. Become a minister, get a nice tax break for working to build a community of preppers and helpers in case times get worse. This is my advice to you my friend.

Let me also add that it's a good plan to find a local network of supporters -- family, friends, shooting club, FVW, church, etc.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Find a small college in a small town, get a degree in nursing
This is a great route to go IF you like helping people. If not then stay away from the profession. There are enough people doing it for the pay and it shows.

The G.I. Bill paid for my R.N. degree, and I could not have chosen a better career path.

Other areas that pay well in the medical field and are relatively quick programs are radiology (X-Ray, Cat Scan ((CT)), MRI) tech, respiratory therapist (RT), or medical equipment repair, etc...

Thanks for your service.

Craig

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Survival is about making what you got, you can always have more money, gold, resources, equipment etc. From the military I would guess that you have learned some important skills and gained experience. Keep building on your skills, health and knowledge. As a student you will learn how to make do with small recourses, this is also an important experience.

You can find all articles I found on how to get prepared in the thread “Take it to the next level from the basics” http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=70594or on my blog Sibi Totique.

·
Master Blasphemer
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

My MOS is in the 35 series. I'm military intelligence. I've learned some things about survival from the Army, but I sit at a computer 90% of the time. All of my fellow soldiers here are either sheeple or completely trusting of the government and current system.

I already got an Associate of General Studies while in. Nursing is not my thing. I want to do engineering, but I don't think I've done the pre-requisite math yet. I've always been interested in History, but I know it doesn't make much.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here is the advice I give everyone:

1. Have a gun. You don't need to buy more than one before getting the rest of your preps squared away. I would stick with a semi-auto handgun. You already have 2 guns, so you don't need to worry about more for now.

2. Save 1-3 months worth of food, water, and supplies. Don't worry about stocking up more than this until you...

3. Eliminate debts and and save AT LEAST 6 months of living expenses to prepare financially.

Lets be honest, it doesn't make sense to think about all the 'what-ifs' and try to prepare for what might happen, instead of preparing for what you KNOW will happen (rent, bills, etc)

preparing for the future without preparing for being able to pay rent if you lost your job is like bulletproofing your car and then driving it without wearing a seatbelt.

After you complete steps 1-3 you can prepare further for whatever scenarios you deem most likely. 1-3 months of supplies will get you through 95% of any SHTF scenarios. There are much more dire scenarios that COULD happen, but don't spend your money prearing for those before preparing for the things that are much much more likely.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Liberal Gopher:
I also thank you for your service. I appreciate that you got a lot of military trainig that will come in very handy. But your thinking of filling a duffle bag with canned goods tells me you have little outdoor experience. It is too heavy and too bulky. Go ahead fill up the bag, then try to carry it. Either you or the bag will fail in short order.
Let me also say that I took a history degree and turned it into a great life of interesting jobs. Unless you are planning on a very specialized field of work, the fact you have a degfree is makes you very employable to most employers.
By the way the equivalent of a duffle bag of food is a great idea. Sometimes money is short and it is good knowing there is a reserrve of food. I recommend you do that stock up, but mix the cans and freeze dried and keep it in plastic tote bins.
Other than that, don;t worry about other prepping until you are out of school. The zombies have promised to wait until after your graduation date to attack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.