Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't seen a thread for this and thought it would be a useful topic to discus.

Your family member, or prepper buddy gets covid-19 --- what do you do?

Right now the person might end up in a quarantine site or hospital, however once the facilities are "maxed out" what do you do?

The following youtube video provides some suggestions
https://youtu.be/TpXoY_1EG8Y?t=484

With that said, this might be something to consider, do you have an out building for them? Do you have tape? Are you a prepper group or family with multiple residences and one residence can be the clean residence and the other one the quarantine residence for sick family members?

What are you thought on how to manage your own home quarantine when someone you are bugging in with gets sick with it? How do you handle that situation?

·
Registered
34,705 Posts
Anyone who wishes to join me will spend a minimum of 30 days in "quarantine campsites" I have spent the past few days setting up.

Roped off 1/3-1/2 acre
Firewood
fire ring
Pallet to use under solar shower
Shovel
275gal water.

One has my teardrop camper
One which will be occupied tomorrow is bringing a camper van.
If I need a 3rd I will build a shack.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,972 Posts
No one is going to come stay with us but I may need to care for my husband.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I have three different outbuildings.

I am the most likely in my family to get sick so I would end up in one of them. Probably my shop as it has a oil furnace while the others are wood heat which I may become too sick to maintain.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
At the home country BIL I have an area I've previously trialled sealing off with duct tape & plastic sheeting. Has external venting, separate basin and lavatory, egress direct outside through non-shared door, separate outdoor shower and hand washing. Heater for winter... and meals can be left on the patio.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We have our house, a motor home, and a cellar.

We now have 50 N95 face masks, 100 medical grade gloves, and two Tyvek suits. Also duct tape.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Simple shack, in your and others in similar circumstance, might be a good idea anyways.

Could turn into overflow, or a “sick” house. In case anyone comes down with anything while guests. I wouldn’t do so thinking too much towards multi-purpose tho. ie stowage, smoke house, guard house etc.

Build another extra something else if resources & needs be for such. Keeping the overflow / sick house just for that, even if empty fir a time.

If it turns out someone does end up with Covid, or anything else for that matter, where concern is community spread, just burn it afterwards.

Wouldn’t want to burn your teardrop, or anyone’s camper, unless you had to. I recon. Might spend to much resource trying to decon such, or may occur at a time when reasonable decon isn’t as likely in the future.

Anyone who wishes to join me will spend a minimum of 30 days in "quarantine campsites" I have spent the past few days setting up.

Roped off 1/3-1/2 acre
Firewood
fire ring
Pallet to use under solar shower
Shovel
275gal water.

One has my teardrop camper
One which will be occupied tomorrow is bringing a camper van.
If I need a 3rd I will build a shack.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,176 Posts
We don't expect there will be hospital beds available and I know darn well that no one is going to assign one of the precious few ventilators to a middle-aged woman with a history of lung disease (me), so we're getting ready to treat at home as best as we can. We have an extra bedroom set up for two (there are only two of us here, myself and a housemate). It's not fancy: two cots, nightstands, lamps, a bookcase, extra supplies (old clothes and bed linens) in the closet. Everything is old/used except for one of the cots, so we can toss it all out or burn it if need be.

We stocked it with OTC meds, vitamins, a tea kettle and lots of teas, plenty of water, rehydration packets, some snacks, toiletries, reading material, rags and cleaning supplies, a stethoscope, thermometers, first aid kit, paper towels, kleenex, trash bags. There's also a humidifier, a Honeywell HEPA air cleaner, and a camp toilet so they don't have to leave the room and walk down the hallway to go to the toilet. That room has two windows and also a door to the backyard for fresh air. We also bought a cheap set of walkie talkies. One is in the room and the other in the main house so we can communicate with each other without opening the door or taking cell phones into the room.

I just discovered mold in that room. :mad: Not a lot, some in one corner and around a window sill. I thought it was just dirt until I tried vacuum it and looked closer. I sprayed the heck out of it with Vital Oxide and closed the room until I can get mold remediation stuff together.

Thanks to prepping we already have most of what we need: Tyvek suits, goggles, gloves, TSP, bleach, and Vital Oxide. We only have two pairs of P100 respirators, though. I've been trying to buy more but there appear to be none available within an 85 mile radius. Guess I'll have to use a pair to get rid of the mold and try to buy more online somewhere.

Unfortunately that room was previously my home office and I still have a desk and my primary desktop computer in there. Had to make a new temporary handle since I couldn't remember my login information for my laptop. :rolleyes:

Looks like tomorrow is mold remediation day. Yay.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
GrayFoal - a sound and detailed plan appropriately adapted to the exigencies of reality if I may say so. Wishing you all the best.

Like you are I have already intellectually triaged myself out of competition for scarce resources. Now I just need to be sure I follow through if SHTF :)

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Review decon procedures. Let NO one on your property.
If you have to you would have to have a decon station set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts