Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys prepare on a week by week basis, I read the sticky about prepare now not later and i wanted to see if you guys have a set schedule or if you get it as you feel you want/need it

I for example buy roughly $20 bucks worth of stuff a week, go to a tactical defensive pistol class once a month where i collect experience and ammo, and usually buy something big every4-6 weeks ( leatherman charge, gerber LMF, ghurka kukri) and i read info on anything daily as well as do gear test

today i practiced making a spear with the gerber LMF as its creators claim it can, although it worked it was wobbly and i need more rope and i should use a better knot ( I'll make a thread on it once I perfect the design)

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
With me it is monthly, with the dates of local gunshows controlling part of it. I set aside just a little from each monthly check until I have enough for the next scheduled purchase.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I generally try to pick up something each time we go to the grocery store. That could be some extra canned food, mantles for the lantern, or gallon jugs of water. The big purchases, I try to space those out every 3 or 4 months. Extras as needed, or as upcoming events dictate. Hint, hint.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
If I'm buying something in the outdoors section of Wally World I'll try to pick up a box of 00. Most of my preps right now come in the form of getting on here and learning as much as possible. Guess I should balance the two a little better.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Same here, I am learning as much as I can.

Although for me, I don't really prepare for the future. I am a bit different than everyone else here.

I have sort of a life philosophy that is centered around the idea that all the ills of man are due to abandoning our primitive roots. So for me I work on primitive living skills and such things as a hobby, and for relaxation, and to get more in touch with my inner caveman...which Ironically will end up preparing me to survive anything as i will be able to walk out into the wilderness and live off the land easier than i can in an urban area (if all goes well that is). Although to date, I have yet to figure out natural fire making....so I have along way to go.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Learning from this board & other sources; on things I was not taught. Gunshows for the latest equipment. Taking courses on first-aid.

Teaching my Son each day, something important about survival. He will need the skills more in the future; than I have in the past. A Team, we are!

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
As far as food preps go,I'm not into the bags of dry rice/bean fan club. I like canned goods for the most part.I try to bolster my pantry with canned chicken,soups,veggies etc., each time I go to the store I add a few cans. I have also purchased and put away 2 cases of MREs recently,but they are expensive and I plan on not using them for awhile.

Water is probably my biggest achilles heel at this point . I only keep around 2 cases on hand ,which is grossly under supplied, I need to work on that .

I'm amply armed with several firearms and have adequate ammo for each caliber(in my opinion). At this point I just replace ammo, as it is used for target practice.

Bugout gear; recently I have bought a dome tent ,2 sleeping bags ,fiskars axe, 2 BOBs , rain gear ,first aid kit, and several other items. I also have a quality assortment of knives, hatchets and machetes,that I have been collecting since I was a young pup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last week I spent about $500 on Mountain House freeze dried and canned food as well as other supplies. I should have been preparing week by week or month by month as you all mentioned. Now I am quickly trying to pull together enough food supplies for at least one year. Finding food storage areas in my home has proved to be a bit more difficult...

On my list of TO DO's:
1. Learn Canning
2. Learn how to make candles and soap. (I love nice soap)
3. Learn how to operate a Ham radio

I see that I am a bit behind.....:)

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

Although for me, I don't really prepare for the future. I am a bit different than everyone else here.

I have sort of a life philosophy that is centered around the idea that all the ills of man are due to abandoning our primitive roots. So for me I work on primitive living skills and such things as a hobby, and for relaxation, and to get more in touch with my inner caveman...which Ironically will end up preparing me to survive anything as i will be able to walk out into the wilderness and live off the land easier than i can in an urban area (if all goes well that is). Although to date, I have yet to figure out natural fire making....so I have along way to go.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I have most of my core can't get by w/o stuff, meaning basic LTS food, equipment, and stuff like that. but I always try to add to the basics each month and replace anything we've used up.
Still not happy w/the medical part, but have most things that I or the wife would be able to use (skill level wise).
It seems, after all these years I still have a thought, every month or so, about something we really would need and don't have.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
for us its guided by money.....

we like to spend about 25 bux every 2 weeks on food for storage
we like to spend about 10 bux every 2 weeks on sanitation supplies for storage
and usually every other paycheck we spend about 80 bux on a large item or a couple of smaller items

we try to spend no more than 140 - 150 bux a month on preps

keep in mind we recently purchased a large boat, generator ect ect

·
Registered
501 Posts
For myself, like Tugger, prepping is guided by money. I try to visit Costco every 3 months and stock up on canned goods, dog/cat food, and any other big box stuffs that we may need.

When I buy groceries from the grocery store, I tend to buy a couple of items extra as they appear on sale. If we have some extra $$$, we spend it on extra food stuffs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Cough...hippie..cough...tree-hugger...cough

just joking man, whatever floats ur boat

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
as we live at our retreat, I feel that in a way, almost everything we buy is a prep of some sort. Most of our money goes to developing our parcel, but I am glad my wife is fiinally on board with my goal of a 12 month pantry... I think I got us up to six already.

Regarding a schedule, we go by priorities: for example: finish cabin, replace little camper with a yurt, then rebuild the shop closer to the garden. Or our auto plan, we have a 30mpg sedan, a pickup and an suv. Next is the Polaris, then two dual sports, then horses. As we save, we buy, generally in the order we planned... Ocassionally, we get surprised and find a good deal on something like our 30ft fifthwheel camper, or those kayaks we have yet to get wet, and we jump ahead of ourselves. But since our income fluctuates, we can't make time based schedules.

-G

·
Registered
57 Posts
I buy something every week even if its small. For now though ammo and gun purchases are priority. Will be working very hard on getting all the preps in quickly for the next couple of months.

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
I'm stocking up on ammo now, I have all the camping and backpacking gear I'll use in a lifetime. Need to stock up on tp, batteries, more food. I've had a wilderness first aid class and have TONS of first aid stuff left over. Would like to get in touch with some fellow womenfolk and learned about canning, sewing. Can't do all that feminine stuff, though I can pick up a rifle and stand a post! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use a budget for grocery shopping and include an amount for preps every trip which is two weed interval. I started with what I thought was most likely needed which was a 72 hour supply for the whole family set up to go at a moment's notice if we have to leave (this seemed to take forever). Then I moved on to long term staples. Now I'm on to canned goods and canned meat which will supplement the bland bulk stuff like rice and beans. I'm pretty stocked up on the canned stuff now (which we rotate into our regular pantry every shopping trip). Now I need to move back to bulk long term stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts