Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate to have a full basement available for storage. I have taken half of it and dedicated it to survival / preparedness storage.

I am trying to post my first pictures here of the storage area. I have learned alot from seeing what others have done. Hope these pics help someone in return.

Attachments

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
That's a smart idea, to get so organised. One less stress when you need to draw from your preps, i.e. getting them all together! Any plans to extend or deepen the basement, or is it unfit for nuclear survival anyhow?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems I did it correctly so I will comment here.

I built the shelving and did it in parts. I had no master plan , just added as the needs came .

I store my NBC gear in the Rubbermaid totes.
The boxes organize alot of my smaller items like gun parts, cleaning materials, backpacking stoves, Coleman stove and lantern repair kits and parts.

I have am/fm radio, tv , cb, short wave here too.

The locked cabinet have my water storage cabinet and first aid kits , dental first aid kits, all back up medical supplies , N100 masks, tyvek suits, back up medical RX's and over the counter meds in .50 cal ammo cans.

The safe has most of the good stuff along with my tax records and family papers.

I added the table and old overhead light as an after thought. It made alot of difference.

Will post more pics in a minute.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These pics show my larger water storage area. I have water saved in three sizes : 2 liter bottles, 5 gal buckets and 55 gal drums on pallets.

The green buckets are not potable water. For wash, sanitation. I have 60 gallons here. Two 55 gal drums and 50 or so 2 liter bottles for drinking

The shelving has packs, tents, tarps, sleeping mats

The two blue drums on the buckets have screw on lids. We keep sleeping bags, poncho liners and heavy wool blankets in one. The other has clothing.

To answer the question about deeper for nukes...I am putting together a design to take one quarter of the basement for this purpose. I want to build a room within the basement itself.
I want to put I beams across a 6' ceiling with 24 " at least of cement block and brick overhead 36"walls ofcement block w/ the centers filled with sand.

There are just two of us so we can crunch on room. I am 5'10" so the roof will work.

I will do the most Ian do. I will only pay as I go . No debt.
I amdealing with health issues so will take possibly more time than I like.

Attachments

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
To answer the question about deeper for nukes...I am putting together a design to take one quarter of the basement for this purpose. I want to build a room within the basement itself.
I want to put I beams across a 6' ceiling with 24 " at least of cement block and brick overhead 36"walls ofcement block w/ the centers filled with sand.
Neat, a bunker in a bunker! :thumb:

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
I added the table and old overhead light as an after thought. It made alot of difference.
The table is a simple but valuable feature. In my old cramped storage arrangement, when I was doing inventory or unpacking supllies or whatever, there was never any place to set anything except on top of something else. My new storage room (under construction) is going to have a table - and DH will have to learn that it is NOT for stacking junk on!

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
Job well done! A disadvantage of living in Florida is there are no basements.
You can't really put anything underground because of the water table so, in the event of a nuke we are crispy critters.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wish I was this organized in my preps. NEED TO MOVE THIS PLACE IS TOO SMALL ARRGH! :( Looks really well put together hope nothing bad happens to the house though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice storage, definitely gives me an idea as to my personal, yet to be created or needed due to my lack of preps, storage space.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Very good , nicely done:thumb:
Plus 1 on that ! :thumb:

The Rubbermaid Action Packers are great for keeping like items together such as medical supplies, cooking gear, clothing, etc. .

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ca...ategory_name=13843&Page=1&utm_source=yahoosem

For those without a basement, think about a Large storage shed ( NOT those tin prefab ones but the ones made from wood. )

You want a structure that you can use a Deadbolt type lock on and a door large enough to allow Drum size articles to easily fit into.

Also consider a Loft and forget windows you don't need to help burglars.

Take a look at these for ideas. Always think about only building to the largest size that does NOT need permits in your area.

http://www.elitedeals.com/woodshed.html

http://www.bettersheds.com/

http://www.storagesheds.org/

I will post a Primer on sheds soon.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
411 man,

You got me thinking about some things when you talked about the wooden storage building.
Why not have a shelter in the ground, like a mini basement under the shed ?

Place one of those cement septic tanks in the ground and have the entrance come up to the shed . Shed directly over the top of the dig site.

Has alot of possibilities w / o high costs.

Big Eye

·
Registered
94 Posts
very nice storage basement, well organized.

Do you refill the 2 liter bottles with water or store bought unopened bottles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts