Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts
Vivarin or No Doz. It would come in handy if, for some reason, it was unsafe to sleep and it was imperative you stay awake. And you couldn't make coffee due to lack of electricity, odor concerns, water rationing, etc.

Just a thought folks.
I limit my caffien intake now, in a "survival situation" I would hazard a guess that artificial stimuli could prove hazardous. If you need to stay awake and you know this is imperative then you will in my experience. There is also the "animal within" to take into account, I used to be able to nap but would wake if someone breathed too deeply in the next room, while on maneuvers.

Plus anything after 72hrs and your looking at looney tunes territory.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i dont think id try that, caffine makes most people jittery which you could do well without in a survival senerio. besides, sleep is important, especially in survival to keep your body functioning well, if its not safe to sleep where you are, find another place!

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,808 Posts
I try to not take too much caffeine. But I have taken a No Doz with a Mtn Dew if I have a long drive such as non-stop to my mtn place which is 200 miles from the city - Greeley, CO where I am now.

But I would not consider any caffeine item such as No Doz or even coffee a prep or necessary survival item.
Ice cold water splashed in the face can wake one up better than anything I think.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I absolutely consider caffeine a necessity. I get a nasty headache without caffeine. pLus, at about 3 pm, I slump to the point of being unable to keep my eyes open. I missed my 3:00 coffee and right now I'm about to doze off, despite a good night's sleep last night. I have a pot of coffee going now.

Caffeine doesn't make me the least jittery, unless I go overboard and consume large quantities of it with no food in my system at all.

It's also not necessary to have a whole dose of NoDoz. A partial tablet can suffice for short periods. I should mention that for total caffeine addicts like myself, it doesn't necessarily keep us from sleeping - just keeps us more alert until we ar ready to go to sleep.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had a pal in the Royal Marines who said they used to give him a drug to stay awake. I don't believe this was public knowledge though, and apparently its use has been discontinued. This would have been late 70s early 80s as he was badly injured in the Falklands and had to retire.

If I recall correctly the longest he said he had gone without any proper sleep was 19 days - although I believe he was "topping up" with short naps whenever he could. He said when you came off the drug you caught up by sleeping absolutely loads.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
none of that crap keeps me a wake, i used to use speed to keep going for a few days. i could pop one speed, drive from Albany,NY to Chicago, get unloaded and loaded and drive half way back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I absolutely consider caffeine a necessity. I get a nasty headache without caffeine. pLus, at about 3 pm, I slump to the point of being unable to keep my eyes open. I missed my 3:00 coffee and right now I'm about to doze off, despite a good night's sleep last night. I have a pot of coffee going now.

Caffeine doesn't make me the least jittery, unless I go overboard and consume large quantities of it with no food in my system at all.

It's also not necessary to have a whole dose of NoDoz. A partial tablet can suffice for short periods. I should mention that for total caffeine addicts like myself, it doesn't necessarily keep us from sleeping - just keeps us more alert until we ar ready to go to sleep.
Obviously you know that caffeine is only a necessity because you are addicted to it. You've forgotten how to sail through the day without a coffee crutch,and that might put you in a very bad position when the SHTF. Do you ever consider weaning yourself off it so that looking for your next caffeine buzz will be one less thing to worry about? I have been addicted to caffeine, not in coffee as I can't stand the stuff, but in sodas, so I do know what you mean about the headaches and the debilitating lethargy if you don't keep it coming. Getting off caffeine was one of the best things I have done for myself, now that it's over I can get through the entire day from before sun-up to late at night without all the ups and downs.

·
3,649 Posts
I had a pal in the Royal Marines who said they used to give him a drug to stay awake. I don't believe this was public knowledge though, and apparently its use has been discontinued. This would have been late 70s early 80s as he was badly injured in the Falklands and had to retire.

If I recall correctly the longest he said he had gone without any proper sleep was 19 days - although I believe he was "topping up" with short naps whenever he could. He said when you came off the drug you caught up by sleeping absolutely loads.
Adolph Hitler also had a drug developed for his troops to keep them awake, as i seem to recall being told once. oh, what was that stuff called, meth something or other...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Adolph Hitler also had a drug developed for his troops to keep them awake, as i seem to recall being told once. oh, what was that stuff called, meth something or other...

Pervitin - was the name at the time

Attachments

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My doctor told me to stop caffeine intake. Couldn't sleep at all, told him and he told me to go back to my "normal" intake. Seems caffeine acts differently in some people.
Any type of active ingredient has different effects on everyone, that's because of body chemistry. What makes one person paranoid and delusional makes another relaxed and content. How about some mustard moss?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Obviously you know that caffeine is only a necessity because you are addicted to it. You've forgotten how to sail through the day without a coffee crutch,and that might put you in a very bad position when the SHTF. Do you ever consider weaning yourself off it so that looking for your next caffeine buzz will be one less thing to worry about? I have been addicted to caffeine, not in coffee as I can't stand the stuff, but in sodas, so I do know what you mean about the headaches and the debilitating lethargy if you don't keep it coming. Getting off caffeine was one of the best things I have done for myself, now that it's over I can get through the entire day from before sun-up to late at night without all the ups and downs.

Of course I'm addicted to caffeine. I could wean myself off caffeine, but...I do love my coffee. I'm a bit of a coffee snob, though I can drink Folgers (or worse...) when times call for it. I have zip desire to give up my coffee. If SHTF then I have several weeks worth of coffee, and another several weeks worth of tea stored away. I'll just have to deal with that one then. I enjoy this relatively mild habit enough that I'll keep it up, so long as conditions allow. It's one of my daily pleasures...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Something to think about for sure.

Seems to me though that if the situation were such that sleeping would be detrimental, adrenaline would be keeping you awake. At least to a degree.

I can see times when standing guard at night might call for a mild stimulant to keep you alert but a good pot of coffee should do that just as well as "no doze".

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.