Votes: 16 25.8%
  • No preference

Votes: 21 33.9%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a bolt action as my main firearm. More accurate than a semi, and cheaper.

Question:

How many pay the extra money for better ,more accurate ammo vs standard hunting ammo or FMJ?

I prefer the approach of keeping a threat at a distance with accurate, aimed fire and picking up the spray and pray firepower from persons that no longer have a use for it.

Is the premium ammo worth the price vs standard hunting ammo at ranges of 100 yds - 500 yds?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Its interesting how many folks believe they will be able to just pick up whatever they need by starting with a .22 or a bolt action.

Nothing will be that easy.....Its just not happening.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't think it will be a stroll in the park. I just believe it is better to keep a threat at a longer distance. Once a threat is close in, its a far worse problem to deal with. Keeping it at as far of a distance as I can gives me a lot more breathing room.

Dealing with a bunch of bad guys, whether it be a bunch of hoodlums or a well disciplined military unit, at close range is no fun. Especially if you have young ones with you. Trying to stand toe to toe with an armed group is a losing proposition.

Study your military manuals and military history. The most feared and most effective was the guerrilla sniper shooters that took a well aimed shot or two and then disappeared.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Reload here so I get the best of both worlds. All my ammo is more accurate and cheaper than what I can buy from a factory. Of course getting to that point did cost a hell of a lot in terms of money and time but it was very much worth it in terms of learning, the results and just the whole experience.

·
Registered
647 Posts
When Ammo was cheaper I used the Federal Premium in my .270 for deer. In both my 270 rifles, a Savage 110 and Mossberg ATR 100. Both showed a real improvment in accuracy at the ranges you spoke of. Now I just reload. Its not cheap , but not as expensive as factory ammo.

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
When I had my marlin 336, I handloaded all my ammo and kept about 100 rounds of premium on stand by. My handloads were always more accurate than any store bought ammo.

·
Registered
510 Posts
FMJ military ammo. I never shoot paper, just plink smallish targets. Never had a problem with "cheap" ammo. It is mostly the shooter anyway.

With .30-30 or or 7.62x39 you aren't going to be shooting long range anyway, the standard ammo won't be hurting you.

Handloading is different, handload all you want I just can't see paying those crazy prices for hunting ammo unless you don't reload(I don't). I'd only ever own 40 rounds or so of the premium hunting stuff.

Can't plink with it and can't stockpile it. I use .30-30 softpoints now for hunting but in a SHTF situation you can use anything.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Depends on your rifle and range. Some rifles don't shoot the premium stuff any better than than the rest, at long range, there may be a significant difference. My Savage PSS shoots around an inch and 1/2 with Milsurp FMJ, just under an inch with hunting stuff, and under 1/2" with my handloads and Premium stuff (Hornady 168gr HPBT Match Moly-coated) No biggie at 100 yards, but a difference at 600 yards. Thats a 9 inch group with FMJ, 6" with Hunting and 3" with Match.

On a small, partially concealed target the difference can be important at that range.

or if you want to go real long, thats 15", 10", and 5" groups respectively at 1000 yards.

Also, while bolt guns are cheaper (normally) than comperable semi-autos, the accuracy of todays semi's is much better. My team mate went with a DPMS AR-10 and it shoots sub MOA with handloads and Match ammo. He just paid $900 for long range accuracy when I paid $500.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would also add that in addition to your bolt-gun, carry something with a little more up-close firepower.

Just because you want to keep threats at a distance, doesn't mean thats were they'll always be, and a bolt gun, especially with a scope, sucks up close. Especially with multiple targets.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
My .02

I'm a premium ammo guy, when I do buy ammo. I reload almost all my own ammo, but I do carry factory Winchester SXT. I could tell a long time ago that ammo ws going to be a bigger problem than guns so I stocked up on my SXT rounds, I have just over 1000 of them. I loved the Federal Match ammo for my bolt gun, until I started to load them myself. When I did that my groups at 800 went from 6.82" to 4.1", but in a pinch I would absolutely use the Federal stuff, and I agree I prefer to keep a distance from any threats. Doesn't mean a nice semi wouldn't be a nice thing if they get in close, I hope I could fall back before anyone is to close.

I support long range accuracy and day over close up firepower. I vote quality!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'm using a bolt action as my main firearm. More accurate than a semi, and cheaper.

Question:

How many pay the extra money for better ,more accurate ammo vs standard hunting ammo or FMJ?

I prefer the approach of keeping a threat at a distance with accurate, aimed fire and picking up the spray and pray firepower from persons that no longer have a use for it.

Is the premium ammo worth the price vs standard hunting ammo at ranges of 100 yds - 500 yds?
In my book Premium ammo IS hunting ammo, anything less risks the success of the hunt. FMJ is worthless for hunting, it punches pencil holes and doesnt expand, therefore it doesnt supply a clean kill. In a military situation one person shot with FMJ means two are taken out of the battle because someone needs to get the wounded soldier off the battlefield, although when dealing with fanatics, they dont care about that, they enjoy killing Americans too much. Cheap ammo is for plinking in my book, for the reasons noted.

Now with the above said, YOU really need to identify what you intend to do with the ammo. Are you looking to fill up your supplies quickly? less expensive ammo may be necessary due to time/availability/cost constraints.

Premium ammo's higher cost isn't always the result of long range accuracy. More often than not it is based on two things alone. The first is the bullet being used, and the second being consistency in the powder loading ensuring consitent velocity and pressure. What is an accurate loading in one gun at 250 yds won't necessarily be as accurate in another identical gun, so only working up an accuracy load/bullet combination for each and every gun can guarantee accuracy at any given distance. What premium ammo does for you is guarantees equal performance round to round, and better bullet performance over standard grade ammo which has more variations in loads between rounds. What this all means is more effective bullets to take down the game, and since the loading is more consistent the bullets will shoot to the same point of impact more consistently. Short range shooting with say a .30-06 this isnt likely to be as much of an issue but when you are taking those longer shots the performance of premium ammo is a major plus as you are assured that the bullet will do it's job and you know how the load will perform. Like I initally said, I wont risk a HUNT on cheaper ammo. After all you never know how far out you have to reach to take that once in a lifetime shot. AND to reiterate, if it's not simply hunting that the ammo is needed for, an excellent case can be made for less expensive ammo due to the higher amount per dollar spent aspect...

One other thing... The myth of bolt actions being more accurate is exactly that, a myth. I shoot an H&K 93 that measures out to sub 1/8th MOA. It is easy to increase the accuracy of a bolt action rifle, much easier than any other type of action, but the myth that they are inherently more accurate than a semi auto is the result of old designsand shoddy workmanship. The next point is a rifle has to be in pretty bad shape regardless of action type for it to not be able to outshoot 99 out of 100 shooters. After all minute of dead is still minute of dead. Be it squirrel deer or insurgent.

I hope this helps you rather than confuses, I'm in a situation where I have defensive firearms and hunting firearms, so it's really a non issue for myself in that the defensive ammo is much less expensive, allowing me to stock up on both...
Oh wait I forgot I sold all my guns to put gas in the car, yeah thats right, Did you hear that secret polizi?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pallidin: Thanks

What I'm looking at is a VERY limited budget. I had all the good stuff years ago before a divorce: M1A, AR15, Ak47, Rem 700 Varmint in .308 and etc. 20 loaded mags for each weapon. Equipped so well that most people would drool over what I had. But lawyers want a lot of money, so they had to be sold.

So as said, a limited budget and I'm trying to make due as much as possible. I'm just trying to decide if the cost of premium ammo would be worth it compared to "regular ammo" for the ranges of 100 - 500 yds.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Pallidin: Thanks

What I'm looking at is a VERY limited budget. I had all the good stuff years ago before a divorce: M1A, AR15, Ak47, Rem 700 Varmint in .308 and etc. 20 loaded mags for each weapon. Equipped so well that most people would drool over what I had. But lawyers want a lot of money, so they had to be sold.

So as said, a limited budget and I'm trying to make due as much as possible. I'm just trying to decide if the cost of premium ammo would be worth it compared to "regular ammo" for the ranges of 100 - 500 yds.
get standard ammo to start, mix it up with mil surplus if you have a military caliber, AVOID indian mfg ammo, its bad news, If you know anyone who reloads, you may want to consider sitting at their bench making your own as well. Careful shopping for components can save quite a bit if you load up your own ammo. You can choose components based on volume and reasonable performance instead of higher performance this way as well.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
I agree and disagree with Palladin

Palladin said premium ammo is hunting ammo, True. Ball ammo fell out of favor with me a long time ago. I disagree with Palladin about the accuracy of bolt action vs semi auto. The bolt action IS more accurate, but the gain in accuracy is strictly academic, the gain of accuracy of a bolt action is not enough to make inches of difference to an experienced marksman.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would have to say i use ammo that i load. for instance my 2506 i bet i havent fired a box of factory loaded ammo in the last 25 years of owning it. i am also a fan of bolt actions, mine are rem 700's

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
These days, I shoot nothing but handloads, although I still have a few thousand rounds of 7.62 NATO that I bought when it was $98 per 1000. I have a progressive metallic press (Hornady) and a progressive shotgun press. I typically load 1000 rounds at a sitting for handgun, .223/5.56, and 7.62/308 Win. For the precision stuff and hunting ammo, I typically load 50-100 at a sitting on the singles stage press.

Sometimes, when I can get it cheap enough, I will shoot milsurp ammo in guns that I own chambered for it, like for Mosins and such. Milsurp ammo is crapshoot, though. It helps to understand why it was surplussed. Most people who collect milsurps have heard the stories about the hot Czech 30 Tok ammo - it was surplussed because t was out of spec.

Generally, my handloads are equal to, if not better than, standard factory ammo, and the stuff I load on the single stage is superior to anything I can buy in a store because it is tailored to a specific firearm and a specific application.

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
well Premium ammo is the good stuff and while this is still the land of the free and the land of oppertunity,both of which the Globalists want to change....Use the good stuff.

But stockpile the cheap stuff for when the stinky hits the turbojet

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Depends.
But to give one answer I would say a .308 type good quality bolt action with good optics I would want to load my own to make sure I was getting what I want and can work out the best load for that rifle.
So based on that I voted premo.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Excellent Question

In the final reflection, FOR RIFLE AMMO, it probably will not matter. Having said that, some RIFLE calibers by their nature will perform better with soft point commercial ammo which does qualify as premium ammo. The M1 Carbine is a good example....it works MUCH BETTER with Corbon or Federal soft point bullets. Handgun ammo, since it is usually of much lower power and effectiveness, must always be either soft or hollow point. HB of CJ (old coot)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts