Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I got the idea to grow a small garden. I have been around gardens all of my life and decided now was the best time to start. Not having a tractor or tiller i decided that it would be best to start small. I gathered up a few posts and fencing. I ended up with an area of 18x14x12, yes it is a triangle shape. My grandfather gave me 3 tomato plants, there are several deer around so I planted 2 to make sure I didnt loose all of them. I am hoping to get some peppers and maybe some herbs planted in the next week. I sitll have a lot of space left.

After I started this, I decided that im going to get all of the soil in this area ready for next year. I am going to do all of the work by hand. Also I hope to make another small plot next year, as to not keep all my eggs in one basket. The reason I am not going to use equipment is if there would be any type of a SHTF I will already know how and be gardening the premitive way.

I hope this post inspires someone else to get a start now, and be better prepared for the future.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am, i just bought cyanne peppers today and am planting them in the morning. Has anyone else hears that cyanne peppers will keep deer and rabits away? What are some uses for cyanne peppers? I like them as flavoring in chili.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good luck on the garden...

i think the first year is the toughest as far breaking up new soil and shoveling etc...then if you are able to keep on adding soil amendments every year or season like leaves, compost etc, the soil just gets better and better...sometimes a problem with new soil is that even if you add all the good stuff like compost, it may take a few weeks or months for the beneficial bacteria and fungi to increase their populations enough to get the healthy soil food web going...

as far a cayenne i think that people have experimented with putting the peppers in a blender to make a kind of juice and then spray that on the plants that you want to protect...not sure if this works with deer and rabbits though...i have seen it sold in concentrated form at Peaceful Valley Farm supply in like quart sizes so it must work for something...garlic might be effective also...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Good luck on the garden...

i think the first year is the toughest as far breaking up new soil and shoveling etc...then if you are able to keep on adding soil amendments every year or season like leaves, compost etc, the soil just gets better and better...sometimes a problem with new soil is that even if you add all the good stuff like compost, it may take a few weeks or months for the beneficial bacteria and fungi to increase their populations enough to get the healthy soil food web going...

as far a cayenne i think that people have experimented with putting the peppers in a blender to make a kind of juice and then spray that on the plants that you want to protect...not sure if this works with deer and rabbits though...i have seen it sold in concentrated form at Peaceful Valley Farm supply in like quart sizes so it must work for something...garlic might be effective also...
It works (the pepper spray). No animals like it and most insects don't. You have to keep reapplying it after a rain, though.
Tomato leaves can be used the same way. Many insects don't like the scent of tomato plants, and those that do will get a surprise if they actually try to feed on the plants that smell like tomatoes but arn't tomatoes!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Heck every year is like the first year for me....learn something new each time. Good luck dont give up and be thankfull your not fresh off the Mayflower and will starve if you dont get the damn pumpkins right!
( I think we should all take a moment and go weed something....)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of my plants are doing good. Something does get in them every couple days and dig them up. I make sure I check them first thing in the morning to replant them. Does anyone know what may be doing this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts