Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any posts on this, but I think it's definitely a topic to consider:
What happens if you are pregnant when SHTF or find out you are after SHTF?

Besides stocking up on prenatal vitamins please list other things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ummm, maybe you and another girl friend in the area could take some mid wife classes. As sort of a just in case med training.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I haven't seen any posts on this, but I think it's definitely a topic to consider:

Besides stocking up on prenatal vitamins please list other things to keep in mind.
In some undeveloped countries, maternal death rates during childbirth are as high as 1 in 48 (as opposed to 1 in 3700 in North America). Even a standard pregnancy/birth can pose risks in unsanitary conditions. Infection, transmission of bodily fluids, etc. all pose risks to the mother and child. Minor complications can turn into major threats.

Having a good stock of appropriate birthing supplies (or a full birthing kit) on hand might not be a bad idea (rubber gloves, blankets, sterile supplies, bulb syringe, alcohol, etc.). Midwife classes would certainly make for a useful skill in an extreme SHTF.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It wouldn't be a good time to be pregnant,thats for sure!I have thought of this possibility,but quickly dismissed it as I think it would be very worrying and stressful,but like anything else survival if you found yourself in this situation all you could do was cope the best way you could.Make sure you had lots of baby clothes/baby milk,all the things you think you might need.If you have an uncomplicated pregnancy,then it would be a question of making sure you were eating well enough,or at least not lacking in essential vitamins.Making sure you had medicines as well.Having to actually give birth,and be in pain when things around you are in turmoil,wouldn't be ideal either.:(I would definitely make sure I had all the essentials like food,clothes and medicines,perhaps a good baby book to.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Having contact with a Midwife or a Dula in your area before the fact is usefull. The midwife that delivered my 2nd 2 children does regular office visits pap smears etc. so I use her even when I'm not pregnant and this keeps me in touch at least yearly. I do believe in a troubled time she would still make herself available.
I've had one home and 2 birthing center births all with midwives (my first was a little too into new age religion so I found a Christian lady for the second two). I've never had any medical intervention and a really good midwife can even turn a breech baby through massage if it caught by the 8th month. This is the major reason to see a midwife early and often. A midwife can make sure the baby is positioned for birth and most OBs don't do a thing to fix the problem. ( of course if it stays breech they get to charge for a c- section)Midwives usually do all the prebirthing classes themselves so If you are going to a midwife for regular procedures and treatment If you asked to join in or observe her classes now she would probably let you. You can tell her why you really want the class or if your not sure how she would react to a prepper mindset you could just say you are trying to make an informed decision on whether you want to use a midwife or doctor in the future. They are very eager to convert people to the idea of birthing with a midwife.

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
Well. I recall one of the first buildings built in a Finnish village was the sauna. A sauna has many uses, aside from the obvious, one of them being a relatively sanitary environment for childbirth.

Something to consider.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Water. I became dehydrated pretty quick when I slowed down on the water. Will cause you to start spotting/cramping. After that episode, I always had water on me.

Flax seed is good too. Works on the nervous system too.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
A sauna doesn't seem to be a sanitary place. Bunch of naked people sitting around in warm temp. Bacteria love warm temp. It would have to be hotter than hell in a sauna to kill bacteria.

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
A sauna doesn't seem to be a sanitary place. Bunch of naked people sitting around in warm temp. Bacteria love warm temp. It would have to be hotter than hell in a sauna to kill bacteria.
When you know the little one is on the way, crank up the heat to oven temperatures and cool it down when contractions start.

Also, make the naked people go away.

·
Sunset Watcher
948 Posts
Some advice

I have read some of the other responses and a lot of them are great. When the Schumer hits the fan, and you find that you are pregnant. Take a breather and look at it as a blessing.

Next, grab the Bradley Method Book (or some other book on the natural method of giving birth - I used the Bradley Method and gave birth to 4 children using this method) which you already have stocked in your survivalist/preparedness bookcase. Read it and mentally practice the natural way that women have been giving birth since the beginning of the world.

Take the prenatal vitamins out of the shoe box that has all the other vitamins that you prepared during the pre-SHTF era. Eat regularly, with lots of water.

Hopefully you'll have someone to rely on as the time grows near and practice the Bradley Method with them. Get all the supplies down from the shelf: birthing kit, extra books, clean sheets, plastic garbage bags, towels, bottles (if breast feeding doesn't work out for some reason), formula, diapers, and clothes.

Follow the directions of the book you've been reading for the last 9 months, as well as your partner, and do what comes naturally. Not as simple as that, but if you prepare, you'll feel a lot better and more relaxed. Breathing and relaxation are the most important aspects of the Bradley Method.

I'm praying that I'll have my tubes tied before the Schumer hits the fan, but if not, I'm already preparing in the event that I or someone else may give birth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but if you can you might want to stock up on saline solution IV bags. If you have to give birth at home then you will need to grow blood back. Also they are handy incase of situations of blood loss or dehydration. Also not sure how but Im certain there has to be a way to make your own bag at home. If anyone knows of a way please speak up. If I hear something first I'll let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ladies, consider having a father assisted homebirth if you are a low risk, healthy female . We had ours at home, just the two of us. It sure wass peaceful and nice. Of course, I know dying in childbirth has got to be a f%$#ed up way to die, so eat well, excerise appropiately and assess/ manage your risks!

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
What I would be worried about is breech or a birth that needs medical intervention. All I have to say is that for me personal I am glad the shop is closed lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as men have sex with us, we'll be having babies:

Don't want the ladies in your life to be pregnant when SHTF? Be responsible with your fertility, men. Women have been pregnant through wars, famine, deprivation, forced evacuation, etc. Being a woman and a pregnant one at that makes you vunerable in ways that are horrifying. It's wonderful to be the portal of life, but many throughout time have to be pregnant and give birth in dangerous times and places. Menfolk, be careful with your seed. We wouldn't be pregnant if it weren't for you. Be there for us if you are going to engender life within our vessels. Respect our vunerabilities and measure your risks. Be kind to mothers and mothers to be, we work damn hard and love you very much.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,821 Posts
I have a very very very sensitive hypothetical question with regards to this topic... so if you are queasy please do not read on.

Say it is the end of the world (or SHTF or what not) you are pregnant and malnourished... however you are capable of bearing the child. After you are done, and there is no food around, would you consider Placentophagy?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentophagy

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
I've seen cows do it, it's like they're vomiting backwards.

i guess if you're hungry you can cook it up with onions. There are lots of folk that do it. i loathe liver and indeed any offal, (it's truly offal haw haw) but attitudes change when you're hungry. Look at what the chinese eat and you can see they've been through serious famine. Read 'The Good Earth' and you can see sometimes they eat their daughters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a very very very sensitive hypothetical question with regards to this topic... so if you are queasy please do not read on.

Say it is the end of the world (or SHTF or what not) you are pregnant and malnourished... however you are capable of bearing the child. After you are done, and there is no food around, would you consider Placentophagy?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentophagy
Don't want to set the squeamish a'squirming but I've read about placentophagy and (as of now) would like to do it even outside of a shtf situation. According to the research, it's great for mother. Reduces postpartum and increase iron levels. Today, you can get it dehydrated and put into a pill or even in a shake.

Not that I'll be saying "mmm placenta shakes" but it'll do in a pinch :)

·
F.O.S. like everyone else
634 Posts
You can eat just about anything (that won't kill you) if you throw in some spices and other stuff, and imagine another food, or have others to just talk to about random BS topics. It keeps you busy enough that you aren't thinking about what you are eating. Even in SHTF starving times, some people get more picky about their food. Hunger does crazy things to the mind.

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
I want kids one day, and if it's postshtf then I'm going to just have to accept it.

I'm thinking about buying a medical book and a book for surrogate (I think that's how it's spelt) mothers. After being burnt out on relationships gone bad, I'm thinking that TEOTWAWKI will offer a better women than what there is here. I may be wrong, but that's just kind of how it seems lately.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
I think post shtf people are going to have to rethink what they do for fashion.

The modern uberanorexic skinniness of some young ladies leads to incredible birth complications - it will no longer be trendy without access to elective caesarians.

Mothers might stop dieting their children at the age of five.

General health and wellbeing go an enormously long way towards a successful birth. Common sense has an immense impact in an unmedicated, unregulated world. We will begin weeding out the idiots again. :D:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts