Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everything i've read is telling me 2009' will be WORSE than 2008' this economic situation has yet to even play out.. it will take much TIME. what do you think? (i see in my area gas went up from $1.65 to $1.85 over night)

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
Absolutely. People who think the bailout will work don't understand economics. We're dilluting the money supply to prop up corporations who can't make a viable, competitive product. Now we've got a weak doller and the same impotent corporations still have the exact same problems, they just got to party a little longer. I can't remember his name, but Cal Coolidge had a Treas Sec who said, "Depressions are necessary to purge the market of their poisons", or something to that effect. He was promptly fired. But he's right. Instead of helping to educate Americans in regard to how to react to housing, credit, retail, (etc. ad nauseum) bubbles; the government is going to drive our dollar into the ground by stealing from us. (Why do they always feel like they have to DO something?) When the market sees that these bailouts don't work, that's when the dire nature of our economy will be clear for all to see.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I think 09 is going to be worse as well. Not only is the American economy not doing so well, it seems that the global economy isn't doing so well either.

But we're talking about the US. We're teetering on the brink of financial ruin. It's as if we're standing at the edge of the precipice looking down into the canyon.

Several states are a hair's breath away from bankruptcy...California has already asked for a bailout.

Printing more money isn't going to cure the problem.....it's going to make it worse and take us that much longer to recover.

The jobless and homeless rate is going to steadily increase....and the government is (I believe) lying about the amount of both of those as it is right now.

2008 was just the warm up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
http://kunstler.com/Mags_Forecast2009.html

From the article:

"The big theme for 2009 economically will be contraction. The end of the cheap energy era will announce itself as the end of conventional "growth" and the shrinking back of activity, wealth, and populations. Contraction will come as a great shock to a world of conventionally programmed economists. They will toil and sweat to account for it, and they will probably be wrong. Unfortunately, this contraction will do its work in unpleasant ways, driving down standards of living, shearing away hopes and expectations for a particular life of comfort, and introducing disorder to so many of the systems we have depended on for so long. People will starve, lose their homes, lose incomes and status, and lose the security of living in peaceful societies. It will become clear that the Long Emergency is underway."

·
Registered
125 Posts
With 2009 I see Hyper-Stag-Inflation set in. Prices sky rocketing, jobs disapearing, more bailouts for the rich. Gun bans, confiscations, and continued loss of liberties thanks to ("The One" -Oprah) Barrack Obama. Late summer I forsee riots in the streets and a lot of hungery pissed off people. This is my prediction and I'm no psychic but this is what I feel at the moment is possible...

·
Prepping = life insurance
1,458 Posts
I think 09 is going to be worse as well. Not only is the American economy not doing so well, it seems that the global economy isn't doing so well either.

But we're talking about the US. We're teetering on the brink of financial ruin. It's as if we're standing at the edge of the precipice looking down into the canyon.

Several states are a hair's breath away from bankruptcy...California has already asked for a bailout.

Printing more money isn't going to cure the problem.....it's going to make it worse and take us that much longer to recover.

The jobless and homeless rate is going to steadily increase....and the government is (I believe) lying about the amount of both of those as it is right now.

2008 was just the warm up.
Right now? They've been lying to us for a long time now....

http://shadowstats.com :(

I also agree that this 24x7 run on the money press is going to severely screw us all up :(

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Whether it happens of not, the absolute scariest prediction I've heard is that people will flock to the military just to be able to provide for their families. Desperate people are capable of some horrible things, especially when placed in a position of authority.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
When Obama takes office, as if on cue, the media will start reporting about school shootings, workplace shootings, etc.

The recession will get worse.

By July gold will be 1200 an ounce. It would be already but the government has been paying Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch to short gold positions to keep gold down.

The "official" unemployment rate will level off at 10 to 13%. The true rate will be 20% by late 2009.

Inflation will be reported as "light" or "moderate" for most of 2009. In truth, it will be at least 20% by the end of the year. By the time news of a rice shortage or corn production problems is reported, prices will be 3 times what they are now, if not more.

The government will report on several more "small scale" assassination attempts on the president. Each time it will be some kid with a gun who posted something they shouldn't have on a web forum.

Secondary media will be reporting on a lot of happenings that are completely and totally ignored by the mainstream media.

A major hurricane will hit the US and the victims will be summarily moved to a camp somewhere. People will begin to get an idea of what is going on.

I think there will be a big rift between what the media reports and what people actually experience. You can only blow so much smoke up someones ass before they fart on you. As a result, the level of trust that the average person has in their government will probably be at an all time low. There will be a lot of sheeple waking up by the end of the year.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Absolutely. People who think the bailout will work don't understand economics. We're dilluting the money supply to prop up corporations who can't make a viable, competitive product. Now we've got a weak doller and the same impotent corporations still have the exact same problems, they just got to party a little longer. I can't remember his name, but Cal Coolidge had a Treas Sec who said, "Depressions are necessary to purge the market of their poisons", or something to that effect. He was promptly fired. But he's right. Instead of helping to educate Americans in regard to how to react to housing, credit, retail, (etc. ad nauseum) bubbles; the government is going to drive our dollar into the ground by stealing from us. (Why do they always feel like they have to DO something?) When the market sees that these bailouts don't work, that's when the dire nature of our economy will be clear for all to see.
I'm a big fan of Coolidge and his only treasury secretary Andrew Mellon.

Mellon was there before Coolidge became president and remained treasury secretary after Coolidge left office (1921-1932).

Mellon might have said something like, "There are fools, damned fools, and politicians...and unfortunately Hoover is all three" as well as your earlier quote. And that quote was in context of letting weak banks fail in order to strengthen the banking system as a whole rather than pouring in federal money to prop up failed banks and deliberately printing money to cause inflation (pretty much the opposite of what the Bush administration has done).

Hoover was the one who "fired" Mellon.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Obama's stimulas plan will be the precurser to a de-valued American dollar. This will lead the North American Union's Americo ( the new currency)
Hale the NWO!

2,288 Posts
Kunstler has been predicting gloom and doom for a long time.
This was supposed to the Winter where we all froze to death because oil was going to be $200.+ a barrel and hard to get even at that price. I generally agree with the Peak Oil theory but timing is everything and its obvious that the economic slowdown has reduced the need for oil.....atleast for now. Kunstler's biggest fault is that he thinks we can have an economic collapse to a 19th century lifestyle AND still not have enough oil to meet demand at the same time...and it just doesn't work that way. He has written books about it and generally built his reputation around it.
Lately he likes to harp on the economic side ignoring the return of $1.50 gas

2,288 Posts
By July gold will be 1200 an ounce. It would be already but the government has been paying Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch to short gold positions to keep gold down.

If you are so sure you can make a fortune in the Gold futures market.
For the record I do not believe the goverment is conspiring to keep gold down.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
If you are so sure you can make a fortune in the Gold futures market.
For the record I do not believe the goverment is conspiring to keep gold down.

Goldman Sachs short sold over 56 Billion dollars worth of gold in November. I might add they did this with the virtual guarantee of a loss. The only logical reason to assume why they did this would be to temporarily slow down the climb in the price of gold and the only entity that would benefit from a short term reduction in the price of gold would be the government.

WTF makes you think Im not making a fortune in gold? What business is it of yours?

MAYBE I know of something that could be worth more in the next few years?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts