Survivalist Forum banner

Buying? Selling? Even? Other?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I cashed in my 401K almost a year ago. Been buying gold coins and silver bars. Not much but enough to buy/barter with - in case. I have prepared other items that will be needed to swap as needed. My wife didn't like it much at the time but this morning she actually told me it looked as if I did a smart thing.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been holding even. I have some gold and silver tucked away. I mostly get American Eagles or bars, but I don't currently have bars as I traded them off back in the high of this year. But I still have the bulk of what I have. I don't plan on doing anything at the moment, but it's interesting to see what the market is doing, especially on here.

PS: You did good ridge!

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I'm neither buying or selling. If I come across some extra cashola, I will probably continue to buy. I think prices are low right now though I haven't checked in the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: Paulycracker

·
"Survivalist since Birth"
551 Posts
Im selling.

I had invested in some gold bullion a while back recognizing that the economy was going to plummet (not bad for being 12 at the time eh?). With the current high prices I have sold off my bullion making over double what I paid for them.

Why dont I save them to barter with?
Why use gold when I can buy LOADS of cigarettes, booze, tools and other essential items?

Why did I sell my gold?
Easy, all time high, with the extra profit earned I shall buy other needed provisions.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I voted other.

I'm with compboy on this topic.

I believe that real tangable items will have more true value in the heat of the depression than gold or silver.

Food, booze, tobacco, ammo, tools, and any other item that you will be able to barter with. Alot may depend on your geographic local.

I do not smoke or drink but I have put back minimal amounts of booze for trade. The tobacco I have vac packed. Don't know if it will hurt or help but I do know some people will smoke anything.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I place gold and silver in a category more valuable than cash and 401Ks but not as high as food, and useable items. Some starving person won't place a high value on your silver but another person who has prepared may be willing to trade some goods for silver. Nobody will want the green toilet paper.

Reactions: Big Eye

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
One would like to think this would not be a passionate topic. It is safe to say those who say no won't have any. Okay, so much for them. How about the rest?

Historically, precious metals have always had value. Got a track record thousands of years old. I think the flaw in thinking precious metals will have little or no value is the assumption life will always be dire and tooth and claw forever post SHTF, read all of humanity goes down everywhere and we all will be primitives forever and ever. That is doubtful. Heck, some countries will probably keep right on having good times, or some areas. Man organizes, man trades, man needs and uses money. Precious meals deserve some place in ones prepping plans.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
I just stay with liquid gold, local honey and lots of it.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
I agree...

One would like to think this would not be a passionate topic. It is safe to say those who say no won't have any. Okay, so much for them. How about the rest?

Historically, precious metals have always had value. Got a track record thousands of years old. I think the flaw in thinking precious metals will have little or no value is the assumption life will always be dire and tooth and claw forever post SHTF, read all of humanity goes down everywhere and we all will be primitives forever and ever. That is doubtful. Heck, some countries will probably keep right on having good times, or some areas. Man organizes, man trades, man needs and uses money. Precious meals deserve some place in ones prepping plans.
Precious metals are a hedge to preserve wealth. They may not be worth a darn during a SHTF scenario, but sooner or later civilization will manage to reassert itself and the original, if not much more, of the value will be retained.

For me, I had to go that route. Better safe than sorry...gold/silver are real, fiat currency is just paper. If you think gold/silver will have value during the deepest time of trouble, then your thinking is misplaced. Gold/silver comes last. Survival, and all that goes with it, is paramount.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Why bother with metals? Really, if TSHTF or its TEOTWAWKI metals will be useless, currency will be food, tools, clean water, booze and ammo, not gold and silver.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Why bother with metals? Really, if TSHTF or its TEOTWAWKI metals will be useless, currency will be food, tools, clean water, booze and ammo, not gold and silver.
Yes...and when you need one or two of those things,how do you intend to pay for them?
What gives metals value is the amount of effort it takes to mine,refine,and process them.Its a cycle that can't be conterfeited or short-cut. X amount of gold = Y amount of effort. Same as the items you mention,only metals are more compact,and versatile in their purchase ability.Theres a reason British pilots still carry Sovereigns on them. No matter where they land or crash,they have buying power.

·
Banned
653 Posts
I wouldn't take them for anything...If it has no use in a survival situation, its useless. I'd only take payment in useful physical goods, not a metal that my family can't eat...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I already have quite a collection of medals. I have a few from intermural soccer and some from debate team. I'll sell them to you for $25/lb. These are some great medals, and they're sure to go fast, so PM me if you want to reserve them.

:D:

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
that's true, and if people are buying gold, they're buying high.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts