Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ominous loomer
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to buy some pre-made food for SHTF storage. What brands of food and mre's are the best for the price on the market right now? I was looking at the wise grab n go buckets. Mainly because of the easy storage. But im wondering if their is anything else that is on market at comparable prices? Thanks for your time.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
So I'm looking to buy some pre-made food for SHTF storage. What brands of food and mre's are the best for the price on the market right now?
Mountain house #10 cans, or store dried foods in mylar bags.

I store all kinds of stuff in mylar bags, such as oatmeal, rice, beans, pasta,,,.

Related forum thread - http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=39019

List of threads about stockpiling food - http://www.survivalistboards.com/tags.php?tag=stockpiling+food

I was looking at the wise grab n go buckets.
Those wise grab and go buckets, I would not invest a lot of time or money into them.

Be sure to read the calorie and sodium content of some of those Wise freeze dried meals. The ones I looked at were maybe 200 - 300 calories, and over 1,000 mg of sodium.

Example: CHEESY LASAGNA

http://theepicenter.com/pdffiles/Wise_Food_Ingredients.pdf

CHEESY LASAGNA
Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 cup
Total Calories: 260
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Trans Fat: 0.5g
Cholesterol: 5mg;
Sodium: 1240mg
Carbs: 41g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Sugars: 8g
Protein: 13g
Think about this for a minute

Sodium: 1240mg
Total Calories: 260
Servings: 4

·
Fighter
356 Posts
The wife and I made some dried soup mixes and packed them in mylar and o2 absorbers. Each one is a separate dinner that would feed our family of 5. It was a fraction of the cost to do it ourselves. They taste fantastic. In an emergency setting you can add a packet to boiling water and have a dinner for 5 people. We fit 14 of these in a 5 gallon bucket, thats 2 weeks of healthy dinners for a family in a bucket. Super cheap! Pm if youre interested and Ill ask my wife to write down the recipes for me.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Mountain House is the best , but just like in many other cases you pay for the best. I have right much Mountain House, but also have buckets of oats, rice, beans, etc.

Mountain House will be consumed as a special meal, but most of what I will be eating are dried foods stored in buckets.

·
ominous loomer
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thinking I will be looking at that mountain house. Im not setup with the Mylar bags, 02 absorbers, or vacuum sealer at the moment and feel my money at this time would be more wisely spent on some pre packaged items until im ready to get fully set up to take the food prep into my own hands.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Pre-made food? My favorite pre-made food is the forrest lobster (that's a deer to you city folk) but, the cow is a close second. I've never eaten a horse but, every time I see one I think "Dang that thing looks delicious". ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
For those of use who have high blood pressure check the sodium content on labels. Freeze dried food can have very high levels of sodium.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
thinking I will be looking at that mountain house. Im not setup with the Mylar bags, 02 absorbers, or vacuum sealer at the moment and feel my money at this time would be more wisely spent on some pre packaged items until im ready to get fully set up to take the food prep into my own hands.
I felt the same way when I first started prepping, so I can relate. But remember that mylar and O2 absorbers are cheap and easy to work with. You can put away 3-5 times as much food, or more, for the same money and it'll be better foods. I was working on a budget and the savings quickly made me quite buying those prepackaged kits. Though I still buy some of the individual ingredients in #10 cans because I use them in my daily meals.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
Do you have an Aldi's where you live?

I get canned meat there from time to time, and their grain products like mac 'n cheesse are as good as the Kraft mac 'n cheese, and it only costs 35 cents a box.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
While I agree a certain number of Mountain House cans are a very good investment because of the pleasure factor, you can buy other things quite economically also.

Try the LDS catalog for pre-packed cases of canned flour, oats, rice, pintos, red wheat..etc.

If you are limitee in funds you can buy one case of MH meals in cans plus one case of rice and pintos from LDS and wind up stretching the food a very long way.

For example, the mountain house meals go well over a bed of rice. Yes, it is two starches if you use chili mac or what not (chili mac is our favorite) but it stretches the flavor to significantly increase the calories of the meal.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
As soon as possible, learn to pressure can. Yes there is an initial investment in the canner, jars, etc. but the jars and rings are reusable, and the cost of the food is a fraction of the cost of pre-made food. Plus, you are in complete control of the ingredients. For example, one pint of pinto beans is less than $.25, as opposed to nearly $1 for a can of beans at the store.
And get the Ball Blue Book and follow it religiously.

·
democrats = Hydra
6,171 Posts
'pre-made' kind of limits your options. Dinty Moore stew seems to be a favorite. any grocery has a variety of canned stews and similar (chicken/dumplings) items. Chef Boyardee has helped many a bachelor. store brands save money but quality varies (sometimes identical to brand names, sometimes no).
MREs get surprisingly little love here but they're readily available.
Uncle Ben's makes some ready-to-eate rice in packs (add tuna or some other canned food I guess). crackers and sardines / deviled ham is a classic.
somebody mentioned a fajita meal in a box on a different thread (El Paso?).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts