Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
man behind the curtain
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cleaned out, sorted, & rolled my "piggy bank". $350+ and
not the first pre-64 silver coin. Anyone else experience similar
results? BTW, it partially funded my latest real silver purchase!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
You can tell a silver coin by touch. It feels much "stickier" than modern coins. I had been given one as change once and knew it on touch. It also strikes a higher tone when you place it on the flat of your finger and "ting" it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've never really actively bought silver. When I was a kid I bought 2 silver eagles and a morgan at a flea market for 20 bucks, but all the rest is just junk silver. I work retail and I am always keeping my eye out. It's amazing to me how much of it is in circulation. I have15 rolls of pre 65 nickels and 2 rolls of dimes, about 2 dozen quarters. I once had a customer change in 3 rolls of half dollars, I cracked them open and 3 were silver coins. It's fun. I tell my cowrokers it's going to be the only currency allowed when my militia takes over the country.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
I don't do enough shopping to get much change, but I did get a pre '65 dime last fall and the occasional wheat back penny. Last summer I rolled up my piggy bank and did about $800 which did help fund a $1000 face value bag of junk silver.

Finding silver coins in circulation only come from people raiding their piggy banks and coin collections so it will be rare.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Okay I rolled up $20 face value of misc coins, pennies, nickles, dimes, a couple of half dollars, just misc coins...it ends up weighing about 4.5 pounds. that works out to about $ 4.44 a pound. Now I'm gonna trade that in for a twenty dollar bill, then go buy a Canadian Maple leaf $ 5.00- 1oz silver bullion coin.

I figure silver's price is approx..$18.50 x 16 oz's = $296 a pound.

Copper is worth about $3.00 a pound.

So which would I rather have ?? A pound of copper or a pound of silver ??

I'm choosing silver as it has a better chance of rising in value.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Para Bellum
3,855 Posts
That's not true. During wartime when silver was less valuable than nickel, they altered the formula making then around 50% silver, otherwise they had a 20-30% silver content
Better start doing some checking there...:)
ONLY the wartime composition 1942-1945 nickels had silver content. There is NO silver in any other 1938 to date nickels. Check any coin site or dealer.

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
>Finding silver coins in circulation only come from people raiding their piggy banks and coin collections so it will be rare.

I find one or two pre-65 dimes or quarters a year. Almost all look like were just minted. I have a theory about why these gems turn up from time to time.

Here goes my theory.

Little Timmy the teenager is a punk. Timmy has a sweet old grandma who was kind enough to take in Timmy and his piece of trash mother Sueann who got evicted from yet another home. Sweet old granny's husband and father and grand father to Timmy and Sueann knew enough to stash pre-65 coins when they quit being made of pure silver. He filled up as many socks as he could afford back in the day. Like I said Timmy is a punk and has no problems stealing from granny so while Sueann take granny for a doctors visit Timmy rifles thru grannys dresser drawers. Timmy steals these silver coins 4 or 5 bucks at a time to buy smokes.
They stay in circulation long enough for someone to realize what they are.

And there you have it.

McLOVIN

·
1,794 Posts
Better start doing some checking there...:)
ONLY the wartime composition 1942-1945 nickels had silver content. There is NO silver in any other 1938 to date nickels. Check any coin site or dealer.
Very true.

It gets a little more complicated as the law creating the composition change to include silver was made late in the year 1942. Tens of millions of 1942 nickels were minted in the months before the change. As a result, some 1942 nickels contain no silver and some do. The key is the large mintmark on the reverse. Those that do have silver in their composition.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
>Finding silver coins in circulation only come from people raiding their piggy banks and coin collections so it will be rare.

I find one or two pre-65 dimes or quarters a year. Almost all look like were just minted. I have a theory about why these gems turn up from time to time.

Here goes my theory.

Little Timmy the teenager is a punk. Timmy has a sweet old grandma who was kind enough to take in Timmy and his piece of trash mother Sueann who got evicted from yet another home. Sweet old granny's husband and father and grand father to Timmy and Sueann knew enough to stash pre-65 coins when they quit being made of pure silver. He filled up as many socks as he could afford back in the day. Like I said Timmy is a punk and has no problems stealing from granny so while Sueann take granny for a doctors visit Timmy rifles thru grannys dresser drawers. Timmy steals these silver coins 4 or 5 bucks at a time to buy smokes.

And there you have it.

McLOVIN
Sounds like a very correct theory to me, either that or Crack addict breaks in and steals the roll of dimes or quarters and buys smokes or beer with them

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
I found a 1947 quarter not too long ago, it was given to me as change at a toll booth....

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

Here goes my theory.

And there you have it.

McLOVIN
My friend at work said her grandson stole her stash of silver coins to buy comic books.

But there was another case here in FL where someone use $2 and change in silver coins to buy some chips at a 7-11. That attendant reported it to the cops and they investigated to see if any theft happened with those coins.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.