Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son in law had a seizure yesterday. We spent all day in the ER. They ran all kinds of test and all came back normal. They couldn't tell us why it happened or if it was going to happen again. He is having bad headaches that won't go away. We (I say we cause I am now his chauffeur until a dr. releases him) head to the regular dr. today so he can refer him to a neurologist. He is really scared, we all are. It looks like the next step is to have a EEG. He is worried that he may lose his job if they can't figure out what is going on. I am praying everything will turn out ok. It is the not knowing that is the worst I think. So any and all prayers are greatly appreciated. I will kind everyone informed on the progression.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Seizures are strange things, they can be symptoms or they can be the condition themselves. He may have had a freak seizure and never have another. My sister who is almost 60 has had them since she was 13, it wasn't until she was over 30 that they found out that her trigger was hypoglycemia (chronic low blood sugar). If she stays on her meds and watches her diet no problems but if she slips up on one or the other she will have a seizure. Her initial cause was a bout with encephilitis. My brother rolled a jeep when he was stationed in Germany, (he was hit by a drunk german driver), and suffered minor head injuries,,, 5 years later he developed a seizure disorder as a result... stays on the meds, no problem. While I can understand his fear of his job loss he shouldnt worry, he is protected by law in that respect. What he needs to do is calm down, stress is the worst thing for him right now. That alone can trigger seizures. Now dont think this is insensitve, I am not making fun, I grew up seeing the horrors of seizures, but you need to break his fear, the stigma of them. Help him find humor in them, little things like warn him that if he takes a bath to leave the door open, so if he has a seizure in the tub, your daughter can throw the laundry in... ANYTHING just to help him get over the embarassment of not having control of his own body for the period of time that he seizes. Do some research, find some famous epileptics to tell him about, like Tolstoy... His single biggest issue right now is self esteem, the medical part is readily taken care of with meds.

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
I know a guy that started having these problems, they figured out it was a reaction to artificial sweeteners. Will be praying.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
I know a guy that started having these problems, they figured out it was a reaction to artificial sweeteners. Will be praying.
Yes, this is true. It can be an allergic reaction to artificial sweeteners or MSG. And for those who know me, know that I am VERY much against MSG. Check out: www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

It can also be a reaction to several medications. For example, I got seizures when I was on anti-depressants. Anti-depressants are bad news.

Whatever is going on with him, I pray that the doctors will find out soon and that your son in law will have the wisdom to take the action that he may need to take to correct the problem. Prayers going up for your son in law and the part of the family that is affected by this.

Reactions: mimidof3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, this is true. It can be an allergic reaction to artificial sweeteners or MSG. And for those who know me, know that I am VERY much against MSG. Check out: www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

It can also be a reaction to several medications. For example, I got seizures when I was on anti-depressants. Anti-depressants are bad news.

Whatever is going on with him, I pray that the doctors will find out soon and that your son in law will have the wisdom to take the action that he may need to take to correct the problem. Prayers going up for your son in law and the part of the family that is affected by this.
He was told not to drive so I was driving him. Then he went to his reg dr, and he said he could go back to work and he ASSUMED that he could drive. But in the state of TX. you have to be seizure free for six month before you can legally drive again. So I am back to driving him and it is driving him crazy not being in control. Hope we will here something today on an EEG that was ran last week. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Praying. My 25 yr old daughter has seizures (about 6 yrs now)(her father had them). Will pray that this is a one time event. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to say thank you for all of your prayers. And to let you know he is going in Thursday for a MRI. He seems to be doing a little better, his headaches have eased somewhat. But he has gone back to working alot of overtime which is not good. But with friends like you and your prayers he will make it though this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He went in today for a MRI. The dr. said he has ruled out sinus infection. We hope to get the results back first of next week. Just not sure what it means for the sinuses to be ruled out. It is scary not knowing what is causing the headaches. Maybe this will give us some answers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He came through the MRI. They found scar tissue on his frontal lobe. They are not sure how this plays into his headaches. They are going to run some more tests. I will keep you informed. Thank all of you for listening. This helps alot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are now talking MS. They are going to run a more detailed MRI. And to add to all of this his wife (our daughter) is pregnant and they seem to think it is a tubal pregnancy. BOY!!!! When it rains it pours around here. :(:( May God Bless us with a Christmas miracle. We could sure use one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
May god Bless each and everyone that has been praying for us. It is beginning to look like we have been given a Christmas miracle. Our daughter was told by the Dr. today that it she is not sure about the tubal pregnancy. They are going to wait a while to make sure it may be something else and the baby is fine, I will let everyone know as times going on. Love and peace to all!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts