Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired a 4000 watt generator a few months ago. My furnace is from the early 70s, and has a 1/3 hp motor running the blower. Is my generator going to be able to start a motor of this size? I tryed my air compressor which has a 1/2 hp motor on it, and it wouldn't even try to make it go. My neighbor told me that compressors are a whole different load, and his 6000 watt generator won't even run his, and his brother fried a generator trying to power one. The furnace motor doesn't appear to have the starting capacitor that a compressor does, so it seems that it starts with less electrical load. I sure would like to know if this is OK, before I try it so that I don't let the carefully measured amount of smoke, (that is put into all electrical components), out of this one. I really hate when I let the smoke out! Especially expensive things.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I heat with Toyo Stoves. Have an 8.5 KW generator in the garage, But keep a small 1200 watt generator on the front porch to run the stove and a couple of lights during our frequent power outages.
Our Toyo Stove needs 385 watts during the ignition cycle then drops down to 85 watts when its up and running.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it should be able to I think most furnace motors are @1300 watts but just to be sure check the plate on the blower motor it should tell you how many watts you will need for running it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts