Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of quality over quantity and as such I have always been amazed by the power one or two sentences can have if carefully constructed.

Therefore I thought it would be great would start a thread where people can share quotes of all kinds.

I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of my favorites:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. -- Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. -- Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Time is a moving image of eternity" - a mechanical copy of a more profound reality.

- Plato/ Tobias Churton

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

-Dr. Johnson

Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. - Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

To those who had ordered them to death one of them said: 'We die because the people are asleep ... you will die because the people will awaken'. - Carl Sandburg - "The People, Yes" (1936)

Too many people are only willing to defend rights that are personally important to them. It's selfish ignorance, and it's exactly why totalitarian governments are able to get away with trampling on people. Freedom does not mean freedom just for the things I think I should be able to do. Freedom is for all of us. If people will not speak up for other people's rights, there will come a day when they will lose their own. - Tony Lawrence ([email protected]) 12/28/95

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

If the human body's obscene, complain to the manufacturer not to me. - Larry Flynt

Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every man has a right to knock him down for it. - Dr. Samuel Johnson English author, lexicographer

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
Don't know that these are especially powerful men but what they said certainly is.

“Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don’t mean to do harm– but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.”
T. S. Eliot

We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails!

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm........George Orwell

Albert Einstein:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing

Leonardo da Vinci:
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done

Wisdom and goodness to the vile seem vile; Filths savour but themselves.

William Shakespeare

·
Gravity is a Theory.
3,211 Posts
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
-T.S Elliot

"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow."
- Oscar Wilde

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
If we can use quotes from fictional characters...

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."
-- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"The Long, Twilight Struggle"

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
-T.S Elliot

"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow."
- Oscar Wilde

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra
I'm not quite sure how to interpret the Oscar Wilde one

·
Registered
450 Posts
Osiris:
You have said,
"I'm not quite sure how to interpret the Oscar Wilde one"
in relation to the quote:
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. - Oscar Wilde"

That puzzled me too. I've decided it must be the dodge I have used at times when I was in a meeting and the group discussed things that I hadn't a clue what they were talking about. So I kept my mouth shut and tried to look seriously interested and nod at the right times. Afterward some may have suspected the issue was over my head but they couldn't prove it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
here are some that my american friends have swopped with me over the ages.

"Let us talk sense to the American people. Let us tell them the truth, that there are not gains without pains." Theodor Wiesengrund Adorno

"I love the United States, but I see here everything is measured by success, by how much money it makes, not the satisfaction to the individual." John Fellows

"When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America before the white man came, an Indian said simply, "Ours." Father Andrew SDC

"We must stop talking about the American dream and start listening to the dreams of Americans." Reubin Askew

"Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn't block traffic." (Enoch) Arnold Bennett

"The Constitution of the United States is not a mere lawyers' document; it is a vehicle of life, and its spirit is always the spirit of the age." Nadia Boulanger

"One survey found that ten percent of Americans thought Joan of Arc was Noah's wife...." Robert Whitney Boynton

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you." Rita Mae Brown

"This American system of ours . . . call it Americanism, call it capitalism, call it what you like, gives to each and every one of us a great opportunity if we only seize it with both hands and make the most of it." Al Capone

"My rackets are run on strictly American lines and they're going to stay that way." Al Capone

"Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us." William Orville Douglas

"The American lives even more for his goals, for the future, than the European. Life for him is always becoming, never being." Albert Einstein

"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves." Albert Einstein

"Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion." Dwight David Eisenhower

"What the United States does best is to understand itself. What it does worst is understand others." Carlos Fuentes

"We Americans have no commission from God to police the world." Benjamin Harrison

"We are a people who do not want to keep much of the past in our heads. It is considered unhealthy in America to remember mistakes, neurotic to think about them, psychotic to dwell on them." Lillian Hellman

"Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams." Mary Ellen Kelly

"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people." John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Once you permit those who are convinced of their own superior rightness to censor and silence and suppress those who hold contrary opinions, just at that moment the citadel has been surrendered. For the American citadel is a man. Not man in general. Not man in the abstract. Not the majority of men. But man. That man. His worth. His uniqueness." Archibald MacLeish

"America: Where a man can say what he thinks, if he isn't afraid of his wife, his boss, his customer, his neighbors, or the government." Joe Moore

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
The great thing about wisdom is that is never expires. -- Yours Truly

Reactions: Osiris
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.