Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power went out a couple of days ago. Somebody hit a pole. It was out for about 4 hours. Not long but was a valuable learning experience.
What I learned about my neighbors:
Only two other houses had light. One had candles as you could see them flickering in the window.
This happened about 8:30 pm so some could have been in bed.
Of all the houses only two had light besides me.
The couple across the street, neither of them work and believe me they are not wealthy. They watch TV 24 hours a day. It literally never goes off. They were almost in a panic as they had a flashlight and they were running around inside the house like they just didn't know what to do. After about an hour they had to leave the house. They seldom go anywhere so I suspect they went to a bar or somewhere with a tv.
One of my neighors on the next street has a very loud generator and I listened to it run our of gas in about 20 minutes. It never restarted. So I gather that he has no fuel stored.

What I learned about me:
About 2 hours in I was bored to tears. I had plenty of light as I am a prepper with lots of candles, Lanterns and flashlights, oil lamps. I was so bored!!! I had a Paramedic test the next day over Cardiology so I studied that.
I need new books as I am not into rereading new books.
I learned that I need to concentrate on ways to block light in the house because even with the blinds drawn and the drapes drawn you could still see that I had plenty of light in the house.
After a while I thought, I will just go to bed but soon realized that was impossible because evidently I am addicted to the hum of the fan and the air cleaner to sleep. Gonna have to work on that.
I learned it was very quite in my neighborhood without the various sounds and it would be very easy to hear anything anybody or myself does outside.
I think it would actually be a good thing for the electric to go out for a couple of days as I could really learn some things about my neighbors.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Your poor neighbors not being able to watch TV is a disaster for them . They probably went to a motel with power to make it through the night.

I like it when the power goes out first off I call the power co. and try to be the first caller:D: Then proceed to bitch about missing Dancing with the Stars and how I should be compensated very well for missing out.

Then I find a working flashlight and prop open the fridge and freezer door and do a complete inventory of all popsicles, pizzas ,beer, pizza rolls, frozen mexican food products,beer, ice cubes and all pizza products to see if I can make it through the night. This usually takes a hour or so because the damn freezer is a wreck,I usually pound down a sixer while doing inventory,but I usually recycle the cans right away and take of those pop top things off because they a worth more than gold and in the refrigerator there are containers that I am scared to open up due to fear of biological consequenses.Anyway I make a list of restocking items beer, popsicles ,pizza, beer etc

By this time I am ready for a valium because I am so stressed out because I am missing Dancing with the Stars( this week the girl with the big tits should take the lead) but end up taking a few(too many) and instead of going to Circle K to replenish stocks I fall asleep and when i wake up the sun is shining every light in the house is on as well as the Tv,radio,massager etc and all is well Jerry Springer is on followed by Judge Judy.

·
Registered
33,304 Posts
I went 5-6 days without electric in the fall of '08 after the winds of a hurricane hit
here in Ohio, blew most of our upper level roof off.

Lots of education to be gained

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
After a while I thought, I will just go to bed but soon realized that was impossible because evidently I am addicted to the hum of the fan and the air cleaner to sleep. .
I actually had a battery operated sound machine. Once when the power went out I was able to get it running and had no problems going to sleep.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
When we had that big black out a few years ago, all my neighbors came over and we had a cookout on my deck, because I had a big propane bbq grill, and a battery powered radio. We cooked hamburgers and hot dogs, and made a fun little street party out of it. Everybody brought something different, we had pretzels, chips, pop, cheese, buns etc.... Then the lights came back on and everyone went home.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
My family spent 18 days without power after Hurricane Rita.

We used the coleman stove to cook breakfast and the bar-b-q pit to cook lunch and dinner.

Evenings were spent around a kerosene lantern playing board games with the family.

·
Tree-hugger amongst you
313 Posts
Thanks for the story, OP.

Agreed on needing blackout curtains. I'm thinking about getting heavy canvas in black or navy blue, canvas because I can use it for other things if emergency dictates.

How could you be out of books?! There's a million self-sufficiency books on amazon for not too much money!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Outage

Four years ago I lived in a 3 story, 15 unit apt building on the isle of Maui.
All the apt front doors faced the parking lot.

One Sunday morning an earthquake threw most of us out of our of beds and onto the floor.

I spent the next few minutes on the balcony trying to assure everyone that any aftershock would be no worse than the quake we just went through.

There was no electricity.

Folks were starved for news and information, so I opened the doors of my rented car and searched the radio,

It took a long while, but I got some news on one station and eventually another.

A 7.1 hit between the Big Island and Maui, underneath the sea.

All day, all the folks stayed out on the balconies listening to the local news on my car radio till the power came back on.

Most of the folks in the building were shocked and scared.
I confess I was having a great time!

When the grid goes down, the people will want communications.

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My family spent 18 days without power after Hurricane Rita.

We used the coleman stove to cook breakfast and the bar-b-q pit to cook lunch and dinner.

Evenings were spent around a kerosene lantern playing board games with the family.
Yes..I have ways to cook but did not need it. I would love kerosene lanterns or heater but my wife says the kerosene would give her headaches.
I know to some 4 hrs without electric is trivial, and it is to me also but we never lose electricity around here. I can count on one hand in the last 13 years I have lived around here, and this is by far the longest. Most maybe half an hour so I have never had the opportunity to observe my neighbors before in this situation.

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Four years ago I lived in a 3 story, 15 unit apt building on the isle of Maui.
All the apt front doors faced the parking lot.

One Sunday morning an earthquake threw most of us our of beds and onto the floor.

I spent the next few minutes on the balcony trying to assure everyone that any aftershock would be no worse than the quake we just went through.

There was no electricity.

Folks were starved for news and information, so I opened the doors of my rented car and searched the radio,

It took a long while, but I got some news on one station and eventually another.

A 7.1 hit between the Big Island and Maui, underneath the sea.

All day, all the folks stayed out on the balconies listening to the local news on my car radio till the power came back on.

Most of the folks in the building were shocked and scared.
I confess I was having a great time!

When the grid goes down, the people will want communications.
Yes...I forgot to mention that I had a radio. I have a battery power but I just used my windup radio to get info. It was very useful.

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When we had that big black out a few years ago, all my neighbors came over and we had a cookout on my deck, because I had a big propane bbq grill, and a battery powered radio. We cooked hamburgers and hot dogs, and made a fun little street party out of it. Everybody brought something different, we had pretzels, chips, pop, cheese, buns etc.... Then the lights came back on and everyone went home.
My neighborhood is not like that. The only people that talk are me and my two neighbors. On is a widowed woman 82 years old and on the other side 80 year old widowed woman. I don't know of anyone on the block that knows each other or even speaks.
I only know them because I mow there grass for them and shovel snow and any handy work they need. I do it all for free so they love me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Our power was out for days and days back in December due to a snowstorm. I don't live in a "neighborhood" per se, but I do have a close neighbor about 150 yards away. We were good to go at first with our kerosene lamps, but ran out after 3 days. I had neglected to keep my kerosene container filled- lesson #1 learned- keep those containers filled.
We cooked on my Swedish army alcohol stove, but I ran out of alcohol after 5 days. Lesson #2 learned- same as with kerosene.
We ran out of drinking/cooking water pretty quickly too. I used melted snow to flush the toilets, and was able to get water to cook with that way too. Lesson #3 learned- You'll use more water than you think you will, especially drinking water.
I used my lawn mower battery to power my ham radio, and was able to check into our state wide SSB HF net every day.
We have a propane heater and it did a fine job. I don't have a generator yet but that's on the list.
We had plenty of food.
We had plenty of gasoline.
Had I been vigilant on my kerosene and alcohol, and stocked more water we would have been much better off.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,209 Posts
Your poor neighbors not being able to watch TV is a disaster for them . They probably went to a motel with power to make it through the night.
That's sad but not uncommon. We even have a bunch of the TV and video game addicts here amongst the survivalists.

I used to live out in the fringe area where we lost power regularly. I had neighbors like that once, only they didn't even have a flashlight. Even after multiple outages, it just never dawned on them to buy one. They'd always knock on my door to borrow one, then whine endlessly about the TV being out. My reply was always "so the TV's out, go do something else". Invariably they'd look at me with a blank expression and say "like what?"

·
Cabron
1,892 Posts
After a while I thought, I will just go to bed but soon realized that was impossible because evidently I am addicted to the hum of the fan and the air cleaner to sleep..
My biggest problem has been that when the lights go out in Texas during a summer storm it turns the house into a sauna. If I open the windows I ruin the drywall. If I keep the widows closed its too damn hot and sticky to sleep.

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
My lights were out for 13 days after Ike, yet my electric bill didn't go down one cent. Really ticked me off. I thought I could at least look forward to that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts