Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a real eyeopener, We here in N. Alabama had some tornado's tear are world up a couple months back and the power was out in the whole area (half the state) for 4 - 7 days. It was scary to discover just how bad things can get real quick, No gas. no lights, no food, no help, no police presence, no hot water, stores emptied out in 2 days. Walmart was emptied. We saw dumptrucks hauling the food away as lines of people waited to try to get in there for essentials. the list of bad things could go on for a long time. I was fortunate to have some dual fuel camp gear for cooking and light. Lots of flashlights and such. I am also armed to the teeth LOL..Folks I probably don't have to tell you but it got crazy fast. After 2 days the looting started with bad guys getting the wrong end of home protection, fights at the gas lines were common. Ice was a rare and valuable commodity. It really shook me and I am in the process of building my survival cash. Great to find this place. Thanks..

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Yep, nothing like being in a disaster to open your eyes. Well, some people's eyes, anyway; I would imagine many of your neighbors, now that the power's back on and the memories fading, are convinced nothing like that could ever happen again and see no need to prepare for a repeat...

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
We lived through Katrina and Gustov. Ran 600 gal of fuel through gen sets before power was restored. Gas stations had thousands of gal of gas in the ground and no way to pump it. Food was gone from the shelves the first day the stores opened. Lines @ Home depot waiting for the next load of generators to be delivered. Generators pre sold before the truck arrived. These same people sold the generators as soon as the power was restored ( I'll get a new one next storm mentallity).

Fema set up a site at the little league ballpark. You get in line and you get two tarp, two cases of mres and 25# of ice. The welfare type went through the line countless times.

The lessons I learned:

Every vehicle with full tanks and a spare 250 gal

500 gal of diesel is not enough

You get tired of chicken on the grill quick

Everybody that knows you have a genset is calling to borrow it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Standby permanently installed generators running off natural gas are more and more popular here - probably no less than $5,000 installed, though.

I know natural gas lines have frozen in the colder regions but down here I've never heard of a long-term (weeks) natural gas outage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts