Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pretty good size can of powdered milk in my preps that has a date of 12/11 on it. Will it last longer than that? How about if it's unsealed and frozen?

Az

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Just a guess, but I think it will last longer than that. Had several food items that has "expired" that are not fresh food, and neither of them was bad. Even had a cup of instant coffee that expired more than half a decade ago! I can't say that was a cup of good coffee, but it didn't make me sick, LOL!

With milk I'd say it also depends on the fat content, if it is fat free, probably be good several YEARS after it "expires", full fat... I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use powdered milk (non-fat) when I backpack or car camp for my coffee and in cooking, or even for regular cold cereal. I don't store that supply in any special way. Some of what I use is several years old and seems just fine to me!

Yes, powdered milk can be frozen.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I've got a pretty good size can of powdered milk in my preps that has a date of 12/11 on it. Will it last longer than that? How about if it's unsealed and frozen?

Az
Packed right and kept out of the heat, it'll last decades. I recently used up some powdered milk that was just put in a bucket with O2 absorbers, no mylar. It was forgotten in the hot shed since the late 1990s. Even with that kind of abuse, it drank fine. I wouldn't worry about that for many more years unless it has been stored in the heat all this time, in which case, I'd say drink it up and replace it.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I was in Canada fishing a few years ago and my buddy said he would bring military rations for us. MREs right??? Wrong!! He brought 2 cases of C rations from the Korean War. Most of them expired in the late 50's. We opened them and tried them and they were still fine. The pork and beans and little cans of peanut butter were the best. LOL
So I don't take much stock in expiration dates--just use some judgement-if it doesn't look good or smell good throw it away!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.