Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i grab the occasional #10 can of storage foods like MH, Emergency Essentials, Augason Farms when the price is right.

Is is just me or have powdered eggs gone way up? must be trickle down from the Bird flu this last year;

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Dairy-Meat/Dairy/Eggs-Dairy

meanwhile over at Walmart; http://www.walmart.com/browse/food/eggs/976759_976788_1001469

But if we jump on the wayback machine with Mr. Peabody and look back a year or so courtesy of the wayback machine;
https://web.archive.org/web/2013111...ergency-Food-Scrambled-Egg-Mix-36-oz/21777156

Wow almost double or triple compared to the MSRP.

So yeah i get it these folks have increased costs with the shortages...the point i want to make is that you never know when a shortage is gonna pop up.
Having a lot of peanut butter in my LTS let me get past the PB shortage a few years back and i have since gone nuts (pun intended) and restocked since prices have come down again. Conversely remember when rice just flat disappeared a few years before that; i have since taken steps to address that issue.
So try and stay well rounded in your preps and yes i have faith that Augason will come down as America recovers from the egg shortages and yes i expect to be buying more egg products.

·
Jus' a bear
668 Posts
If you get the eggs mixed with ham or sausage, they seem to be a less expensive. But a straight can of plain powdered eggs (to me) has never really been that cheap. After seeing those links, though, wow!

Always a good time to buy ducks or chickens.

·
Quitting Social Media
462 Posts
There was an egg shortage 'at least' in Florida this summer. Prices went from $1.30 for a dozen at walmart to $5.00... They are down around $2.50 a dozen now..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have you tried dehydrating, powdering, and canning your own? It's not hard at all and there are plenty of how too's on pinterest. I'm not sure that they'd last 10-20 years, but it's worth a look see.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Like you figured and onlooker mentioned, the price of eggs doubled this summer due to a lot (millions) of chickens being slaughtered/burned last spring in a lot of states. It caused prices to double throughout most of the U.S.

It was actually my dehydrated eggs that kept me on budget this summer. I have both powdered for baking/cooking and scrambled w/ bacon or ham for breakfast burritos. I noticed that eggs are down to $3.50 here from a high of $5. I was talking to a neighbor just last week mentioning the prices are coming back down and she hadn't even paid attention to the prices having more than doubled, incredible. No wonder some people are in such debt, they don't even notice what the prices are that they pay.

Ironically, for a while there, it was actually cheaper for local farm eggs at $4.50 a dozen.

Hopefully I'll restock soon even though I still have plenty. I would imagine the prices of dehydrated eggs lag by a couple of months.

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Onlooker that's a great price especially with free shipping even by pre shortage standards.

$4.50 is lower than the $7.00 a dozen a few friends were having to sell eggs at from their farm to break even thanks Sven

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Eggflation taught me the value of prepping. I bought about 20 cans two years ago for under $20 a piece. Now the same cans cost over $50, due to a relatively minor event. Lord knows what they would cost if a real food shortage occurred.

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
What's up with pice of powdered eggs?

I have about 4 months of Augason Farms powdered eggs in #10 cans for my wife and I.(two servings each per day).

I wanted to up that to six months so I went to walmart.com where I have gotten them before for around $16 a can and see that the price is now $40. I started looking around the net and see even higher prices.

What's going on? I was only like a year ago that I was getting them for $16 a can and free shipping.

McLOVIN

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
A bunch of chickens got the bird flu and had to be destroyed. Now we have an egg shortage. Because of the bad weather in North West Texas recently, a lot of cows died (30,000+). This will probably result in shortages of dairy products, and possibly meat. I think most of the dead cows were dairy cows. Also, many of the surviving cows went without food or milking for 2 days or more which will likely decrease milk production for quite a while. Since this happened in Northwest Texas, the shortages maybe limited to that area, but who knows?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The chicken market went way down during the year here in America. Had a really bad bird flu outbreak. It caused the price of anything egg wise to sky rocket. So it might be effecting you there. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the product is being imported

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ow-egg-prices-are-climbing-even-higher-2015-8

They were not allowing anything poultry related in any county fairs and urged people not to bring and across state lines. Some of of the biggest chicken farms here lost all their chickens to it. The state's are still recovering from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts