Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Bleeding heart tree lover
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that I may be the last person on earth that still consumes potted meat. Come on, at 29 cents a can which contains 260 calories and is no bigger than the palm of my hand, you cannot beat that for survival food. My BOB is loaded with potted meat.

My question, does anyone else eat the stuff and is it a good idea?

·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for anyone that is hesitant.

It tastes like salty corned beef but more pasty, it is actually pretty edible and actually tastes awsome on crackers. It looks nastier than hell but tastes great, I promise that most people without blood pressure problems will like it.

·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi big eye,

Do you think anyone still makes canned crackers? Because as you said, that would be the ultimate combo.

I use a tennis ball can, you know the one that has three tennis balls in a plastic can, I fill it up with napkins or cotton for cushion and tinder. It protects my fragile crackers which are wrapped in their own little plastic bag that they come with and provides me with a little nice tinder storage unit.

My favorite crackers are the ritz, these things are awsome in taste, and loaded with calories.

The tennis ball can is light, and useful when full of tinder, but it still is bulky. Does anyone have any other method for packing fragile stuff like crackers?

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I go hiking / camping and want crackers or chips I buy the Pringles brand. I use the empty cans for the cookies and crackers. That's the best I've come up with.
Next best is a Pringles type can then vac pac the can the best possible w/o crushing it.
I always look on store shelves...never know what you'll find from time to time.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I grew up eating that stuff. It was great with crackers and cold iced tea for lunch when we would take a break from working the fields on our farm.
I buy it by the case as part of my preps. I don't eat it much now because it's way too many calories for that amount of food. But that is what makes it perfect for preps.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I can't remember if I ate potted meat before. However, I do remember passing by the cans of SPAM in the store and thinking they are the most disgusting thing ever! I saw a fellow eating it with crackers once and it looked nasty. Then one day I was camping with some friends and one offered me a freshly grilled SPAM burger with cheese. I tried it and liked it a lot! I found it far more pleasing once it has been browned in a skillet or over the camp fire. Now I use it for some quick breakfast meals and in fried rice.

·
33 30 38 20 34 45 56 52
412 Posts
I've got about a dozen+ of that stuff.....makes for a welcome change sometimes. Stores really well and it can be as good as you want it to be.
Season it, cook it, for salds, soups, anything. Limited to your imagination, neverminnd what others think if it.

http://www.amazon.com/Spam-Cookbook-Linda-Eggers/dp/1563524864

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
I eat the stuff while on the trail. Its great stuff and goes good with Saltines. For the amount of calories in each little can you cant beat it. its not the most healthy thing on the shelf, but for the price you cant complain and it will keep you from starving to death. You may die from the lack of a much needed triple bypass if you eat too much of it tho!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Like Maurepas, I grew up eating that stuff too. It was cheap and handy. Fried it taste fine and made good scrapple.

Where are those who boldly proclaimed the things they would eat post EOTWAWKI? Surly they are not reluctant to eat potted meat from known species?

If we slip into a depression, potted meat maybe the best you can afford when you can afford it.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Don't forget that you can also use canned oysters and canned sardines for a protein source that is easy to carry around. I also like the dried soup mixes and broth cubes too in my rucksack. Just add a little hot water to either and you have a light meal that will keep you going. Those little bottles of broth cubes have 25 cubes in each one and they take up very little room too. I would not want to try to live off broth cubes but I would use them to augment my other supplies when I get low.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I eat all kinds of canned meat products. Some are better than others all seem to be edible. I have 24 cans in long term stores and make a point of eating them regularly while fishing(to keep them rotated). Crackers make them much easier to digest. With out crackers,bread or starch of some kind (rice or noodles) it tends to go down hard and just sit there.
Now Spam,thats a different matter. Great from the can. Even better fried or burnt over a fire.
Me and Sardines do not mix.
Broth cubes are also great. A cup of broth gives me a surprising amount of energy and helps with my appetite when the main meal is less than paletable.

Thanks
Ready

·
33 30 38 20 34 45 56 52
412 Posts
Please be aware of the canned oysters (smoked or not). A large portion of that comes from China, and they are not exactly 'strong' on pure ingredients. As a matter of fact, CHECK all canned products.
Keep an eye on government web sites that publicize food recalls.
For Canada its:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/recarapp/recaltoce.shtml
search engine available
Please would other members from other countries supply that info as well.

I love the smoked oysters product, but I limit my consumption/rotation to 1 can every three weeks. May slow that down to every 6.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
would not want to try to live off broth cubes but I would use them to augment my other supplies
Actually we have considerable bullion base in our stores. It improves the taste of everything from vegetable soup to fried mush as well as a simple hot drink to help warm you up. Lewis & Clark used it extensively during their travels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Allright nobody else has said it so I will."I likes that potted meat and sody crackers mmmhhmmm".Seriously though potted meat food product is allright stuff. Vienna sausages are good fried or fire roasted.One of my friends uses potted meat on a treble hook and sponge combo to catch catfish.Never tried it but he says that it works.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.