Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my taters all cut and ready to plant the other 2 days ago. Was giving them a chance to scab over. Well I was going to plant them today but we got a heavy down pour last night and now its to wet. How long can I wait before I plant these before they are no good?

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Not sure.

Have you thought about a Potato Tower. There are some youtube vids. Keep raising the level of dirt as the stemd grow and you wind up with a 4 foot tall bed of spuds,

Multi part

·
Silly Boyz TrucksR4 Girlz
224 Posts
Sgtbooker44
I heard of doing that with tomato plants, burying them deep , right up to the top of tomato plant , and it forces roots all along the main stem. I'll have to give it a try with potatoes as well,
Thanks for sharing !
chamberlain125

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
I've had some sitting for over two months they are whats left over from my fist batch of planting. I'm getting ready to plant them in my next stackable potato box.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They will be fine for a long time. Just try to not knock the eyes off when they start to sprout. The mother potato can rot away to nothing as long as you have eyes all is well.
Thanks, thats what I needed to know. I grew potatoes for the first time last year using the tower method. I used the large tree containers from a nursery. Every time the plant would shoot up a few inches I would add more dirt. They did ok. Very easy to harvest, just dump the bucket and pick em up . I mixed up a nice batch of soil to go in the buckets this year and left it in a pile near the garden. But it has rained for days now so its just to wet to be trying to move it into buckets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I always just carry my seed potatoes out to the garden and cut them right there. I never figured that all those tires and boxes saved me much work.

If there was a 4th sister, it would be the potato. It is a great survival food, you can live pretty well on potatoes alone for quite some time. They can also be used for animal feed.

·
Titleless
1,361 Posts
Why wait? The spud don't care. Set them on top of the soil (no digging needed), cover with a foot or two of straw, waste hay or compostable stuff. Keep moist until the stems clear the mulch then water as needed. Harvest when ready. All the potatoes will be on the surface, beneath the mulch. The lazy way to grow spuds.

·
Ego Sto Solus
179 Posts
not trying to hijack but... made my first attempt at growing some taters...indoors in a suspended garbage bag with some holes cut in bottom for draiinage...planted at beginning of january...everything was going fine i had a great lil vine/root system going albeit pale.. the whole bag was filled with the vine like growth..yesterday i decided to check to see if i had any young potatoes as im nearing the three month mark...low and behold ...all my growth was gone!..straight vanished...i found one lil piece of decomposed root /vine...i was quite dissapointed to say the least..and was wondering what yalls take on it was...im at a loss, i thought it would be easy..and it seemed to be going well...except for the fact that all the growth was pale..not green like the other sprouts ive been maintaining. any help would be much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.