Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen this before look like little green tomatoes but they're growing on my potatoes, the only thing I have growing in this bed is Borage and Potatoes.

They're not even growing on every plant just a couple of them, I'm no stranger to growing spuds but this is something new too me anyone seen the like before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
been growing taters for years. This year my taters have what look like little green tomatoes on them where the flowers are. Research shows them to be the "fruit/seed" that are of no real value, in fact poisonous! Cold wet springs are when the odds are best for such production. no ill effect to the plant or tubers.

·
I want a house.
503 Posts
I think potato flowers are pretty, and love looking at the little green orbs.
Last year someone picked all the 'berries' from our potato plant.

The husband thought that was priceless. I was more concerned. It MAY have been an adult that really ought to have known better than to take what was not theirs, or it could have been a child who should have had a parent/adult let them know not to take what was theirs. Either or, I hope they got to ER in time! I still would allow the flower and fruit to happen, but now would be wondering if I shouldn't put up a 'toxic' sign in the future. I don't want someone to destroy the whole box of potatoes though because they want to protect the folk that steal things.

OY

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
When Luther Burbank was young, his red potatoes had one seed pod. He saved it and the resulting potatoes next year were the start of the white irish cobbler. Might not get anything or might get the next new potato. Save them and plant the seeds next year.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
When Luther Burbank was young, his red potatoes had one seed pod. He saved it and the resulting potatoes next year were the start of the white irish cobbler. Might not get anything or might get the next new potato. Save them and plant the seeds next year.

yep ^^^^^ and the differant thing is cut potatoes are like a clone of parent ,,,the fruits on the tops are true seed ,,,you could get several differant types of potatoes ,,,maybe a type resistant to a blight that parent wouldnt survive,,,grow them if you can

treat the fruits like tomatoes ,,,after they are ripe [light green and pull from plant easy] let them ferment in a container ,,,then sieve out the seeds ,,,dry them ,,,and plant in spring

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yeahhh, whatever you do, don't eat any of those, they are quite toxic. You can use the seed to start potato plants from them, though you won't necessarily get the same quality of plant.

All of the potato hybrids are started out from seed originally. I did a potato crop several years ago with the specific intent of producing seed, my baby goats and daughter ate all the flowers and fruits that I managed to get. Thankfully neither the daughter or the baby goats got sick from that, though I have no idea why not.

I have seen horses and cattle killed by eating the tops of potato plants.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just saved the two larger pods off of a couple of plants. They are just under 3/4 inch in diameter. I have more small pods. Say about a half inch in diameter. I don't know if those seeds are mature. I might save a couple and see if they grow next year.

The pods look like cherry tomatoes but mine stay a pale green in color. They are full of seeds just like a tomato - a near relative of the potato.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts