Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago I planted some potatos in a 5 gallon bucket. I started it in my basement as it is still pretty cold here in Indiana. Here is what I did.

Drilled 3-4 holes in the side of the bucket about 2-3" from bottom
2"-3" of rock in bottom
3" of potting soil placed potato with eyes pointing up
Covered the potato with dirt so it was about 1" under the surface.

Watered, grow lights(8-10 hours a day), and covered them when ever they got about 3" above the surface.

When the bucket was full I stopped watering and placed them out in the sun light for a week. Then my impatient got the better of me so I checked and no potato other then the one I started with.

At first I thought I didn't wait long enough but there where no signs of small potato growth. Maybe too much light?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't have the name of the soil I used with me be I will when I get home. I know it said.it had fertilizer mixed in that listed as good for 6 months.

The potatoes I used where bought at a grocery store marked as organic. I thought that would be better then just cheap ones from Walmart.

I'm not a farmer but I could tell something was wrong as the plant would break the surface and grow 2-3" every 3-4 days. I was thinking the plant was using all the energy to grow tall not grow the potato.

I will see if I can find some different potatoes this week

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.