Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So often potassium iodide is included in emergency items lists and first aid kits....

Several years ago I was exposed to a small (and I mean incredibly small!) amount of lugol's strong iodine solution. The result was anaphalactic shock and a visit to my local Hospital.

So you might say I really don't want to experiment with normal potassium iodide. Still, I do know that iodized salt doesn't bother me, and so in theory, I should be fine....but it's just not something I want to experiment with.

How necessary is iodide for emergency preparadness? Are there substitutions?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The little bit I know about this:

Most local municipalities in the US will give out PI for radiation treatment for free. They only give out one tablet per person per household but it's free and can be used against radiation.

I had a dog on Theophylline because we worked TWTC as a SAR dog and handler and she developed lung problems. It helps open up the lungs to breath easier. I was offered it but I have never had lung problems from the experience.

Keeping it on hand is not a big deal. Using it when you don't need it is. People who distibute this drug should offer up a great deal of information before they give it out.

rill

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
The little bit I know about this:

Most local municipalities in the US will give out PI for radiation treatment for free. They only give out one tablet per person per household but it's free and can be used against radiation.

I had a dog on Theophylline because we worked TWTC as a SAR dog and handler and she developed lung problems. It helps open up the lungs to breath easier. I was offered it but I have never had lung problems from the experience.

Keeping it on hand is not a big deal. Using it when you don't need it is. People who distibute this drug should offer up a great deal of information before they give it out.

rill
Sound advice. Websites and the like dole the stuff out like multivitamins...god to know all the facts.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
So is it pretty much a radiation only therapy, or are there other important uses?

I'm afraid I have given you the little bit of knowledge I have on the drug. It would be best to ask the nurses or doctors on this site or ask your own doctor. I don't blame you for not wanting to worry about having an allergic reaction to it again.

rill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm afraid I have given you the little bit of knowledge I have on the drug. It would be best to ask the nurses or doctors on this site or ask your own doctor. I don't blame you for not wanting to worry about having an allergic reaction to it again.

rill
Definately! I'll take your advice and hunt around for some more information. I have children, and so I'd hate to omit something important out of a first aide kit just because I have issues.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
With kids i read it is tough to get the dose right and if using the liquid it is a vile tasting thing that can be hard to get down kids.

This is something that needs a lot of research before using or even buying.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Consult you MD.

We have an MD in our group so it is easy to get answers for questions about such issues for us. Check with your doctor. It is like having annual physicals. Everyone should have one just to be sure everything is ok.

I keep several bottles on hand for each member of my family. Meant to protect your tyhroid against radiation.

·
Suspect Everyone
225 Posts
PI is used to close off the thyroid. In the event of a nuclear attack, radioactive material could be stored in the thyroid and slowly kill the host. Shutting off the thyroid is essential so that if you are exposed, once you are away from the fallout, the material cannot continue to kill you and you will eventually get past the exposure...even possible inhalation or ingestion. It is not really needed except for this reason, but then again, if you need it, you need it. Keep some on hand if you can.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
With kids i read it is tough to get the dose right and if using the liquid it is a vile tasting thing that can be hard to get down kids.

This is something that needs a lot of research before using or even buying.
You might check out P. IODATE.

Susposed to be easier on the wee ones.

Several years since I read up on it, so you need to take a fresh look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Potassium iodate is a must imho. Potassium iodate is an alternative to potassium iodide (which studies have shown causes cancer in lab rats and carries poor shelf life in hot and humid climates). Potassium iodide/iodate cannot protect against any other causes of radiation poisoning, however, nor can it provide any degree of protection against most forms of "dirty bombs." In case of a nuclear emergency, iodine used for the cleaning of wounds should not be ingested, as it is poisonous.

Recommended Dosage for Radiological Emergencies involving radioactive iodine:

___Age____________KI in mg __ KIO3 in mg
Over 12 years old......130............170
3 - 12 years old..........65.............85
1 - 36 months old.......32..............42
< 1 month old............16..............21

1 - 12 of 12 Posts