Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a pot to boil water in but for the life of me cant find one that i like i already did a thread like this the coleman solo cook kit would be perfect if it was like 4x bigger so does anybody know of something like that maybe just one with a lid and foldable handle

Attachments

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Back when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts each patrol had a stainless steel cook kit. it all tucked into about a 3 1/5 gallon pot and the lid was a frying plan. There were two more pot/lid set ups that nestd inside like thos Russian dolls. Cups, plates and utensils fit inside or on the bottom.

I'll be darned if I can't find one today. All I find are aluminum and I hated cleaning it as a kid and mor so now.

These are about as close as I come, nothing inbetween

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...de=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...de=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you are not worried about weight a dutch oven is about the best cooker around .I f you want light weight get a an old military canteen cup or one of the old mountain cook sets ,(see sportsmans guide) .After a lot of years of camping my cook kit is a 8 ot dutch oven ,a 4 qt skillet and a stainless steel teapot (thats vehicle camping ) .If I had to go light weight I have a canteen cup ,a stainless steel coleman cup and an old square military nestling skillet set marked 1954.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Wow, that would have been easier to decypher if it had been broken up into sentances.

Anyway, have you checked rei.com yet? They have all sorts of camp cookware. Not always the best prices, but a good selection. If something catches your eye, google for reviews of it, and maybe a local source.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Why do you need a 3 qt pot to boil water??

I thought your other thread "pot ot boil water" (??) got answered enough.

Just go to REI or Campmor sites to check out their gear. Google works too.

I've got mess kits out the wazoo and they all get the job done.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I'd look at Campmor, then REI. They have nearly everything available.
Another idea, if you just want a big pot, is to go to a big-box store and get one of the ceramic coated steel pots there of the size you want. Also try a search on eBay for "_________(insert size) qt pot"

·
Registered
273 Posts
The boy scout store in my town doesnt carry them anymore. We used to have a big set for the camp and then our own individual mess kits.

I found some here
http://www.campingcomfortably.com/camping-pots-and-pans.html

I got the heavier stainless over the teflon coated. Last time i tried to use a normal kitchen pot in a pile of hot coals, the paint/coating came off the outside of the pot. They handle is pretty sturdy and the stainless is easy to clean. A spray of easy-off oven cleaner gets even the nastiest campfire residue off the bottom. Make lots of noise tho. Definately want to pack some TP or somthing in there (i use sponges) cause it gets anoying after a few minutes.

I got mine last spring and it came in a nice net bag and i think it was a little cheaper.

Weight isnt that big of an issue for me because i rarely camp more then an hour or 2 hike from the truck and if im taking the big set, there are plenty of people to spread the weight amongst.

If i could find those same sets in heavy guage aluminum, i would be all over it. The large pots are great for "bathing".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.