Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post SHTF survival. Some ideas for everyone.

It seems that most folks here are concentrating most of their efforts on physical preps. Canned food, non perishables, weapons, gear, and equipment etc. Theres nothing wrong with that, in fact I do think its vital, but I believe theres something that might be more valuable than all those things mentioned that isn't getting enough attention.

Knowledge. That and survival mindset.

I'll start with knowledge. I get the feeling that alot of folks out there that are new to our way of thinking are stocking up on supplies, but doing little to further themselves for life after shtf.

So let me point out a few things that may be useful for some of you out there.

Ask yourself this question. What are your plans as far as food go when your preps run out? If you do not know, or are waiting until S actually HTF to figure something out I suggest you put almost everything else aside and deal with this issue now. I understand that many city born and bred do not have the advantages of those born on farms or out in the sticks. I know for many the kind of hands on learning I have been blessed with is out of the reach for many. This should not discourage or deter you from doing what you can. At the very least invest in some books and read, read, read. Its better than admitting defeat and doing nothing. And I would bet that anyone here on this board that doesn't know anyone willing to teach them can find someone here in their general area to help them out. All you have to do is ask.

Get some first aid training, if possible. Again, failing that read. Knowing how to stop arterial bleeding or splinting a broken bone might save either your own life, or a loved ones.

Ask yourself this question if you live in an urban or city environment. What are your plans if you need to leave that environment? Do you plan on driving? What if this option is not possible? Are you prepared to walk? Can you navigate overland without signs and roads? Bottom line here is if you do not have a plan, and are not prepared to hoof it, your chances of making it out are slim.

I could go on and on about all the things that everyone really should know. The list is endless. I'll sum this portion up by suggesting everyone sit down and think things through. Be honest with yourself, and figure out what is priority for you. Food always tops the list. The ways to produce and provide food for yourself and others is an absolute must for everyone. Once thats down, turn your attention elsewhere. Learn to use a compass and maps. Get some firearms training. Learn some basic mechanical skills, etc etc. But seek this knowledge now. Do not sit around and do nothing. Make an attempt, anything is preferable to nothing.

Now, the survival mindset.

Without this, I almost guarantee you will not survive no matter how much food and gear you have stored. Sooner or later your stored food will run out, or your gear will fail or get left behind for any number of reasons. Learn to use the most important tool you have: your mind. When something goes wrong, or your gear fails, and I promise you it will happen, learn to improvise. Do not panic and do the first thing that crosses your mind in a tight situation. Keep your cool and think.

A word on comfort.

Understand that comfort does not equal survival. In fact, seeking comfort can and will get you killed in a survival situation. What I mean by this is alot of people waste valuable time and energy on being comfortable, while neglecting the the things they actually need to survive. An example would be a group of people post shtf putting all their efforts at creating some kind of electricity, when they have no food, and little water. Provide the basics before taking anything else on. You can live without power, not food. Think about your environment and what threats are facing you. If its winter, then obviously shelter and warmth are a priority.

I bring that up because many people in survival situations make these kind of mistakes. Don't fall into the comfort trap. You will need to learn how to prioritize your basic needs, and be willing to be uncomfortable sometimes to ensure survival. Do not ever substitute a basic need with a comfort item.

Know thyself.

Be honest with yourself and your capabilities. Do not over estimate your abilities. Almost everyone does this, and its important that you realize this fact. If you think you can walk x amount of distance carrying y amount of weight, always plan on the least amount of what you think you can do. This will better your chances of achieving whatever goal you have made plans to accomplish. If you make unrealistic plans this will put you in bad situations every time you fail. Take that into account when planning.

Stay busy.

I cannot stress this enough. Doing nothing is the absolute worst thing you can do in a survival situation. Do not allow yourself the luxury of sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. It will eat you alive, literally. Always strive to better your situation. If you have adequate food and water, and shelter is taken care of don't call it good and sit on your butt. Gather firewood, clean weapons, improve your shelter, whatever. It doesn't matter what you do if the basics are covered, but its important to keep your mind occupied. Take the time to take care of yourself, whenever possible. Bathe, clean your clothing, and take care of any wounds or even scratches or scrapes.

Be willing to make difficult decisions.

Almost every shtf scenario will force people to do this. Think about these things now, and make up your mind about what you will do in each situation. This is a tough one, but its worth thinking about. If you look around here you will find many threads about this very thing. People are always curious about how others might react to a given situation. Many are the kind of things that simply cannot be answered until face to face with them. That should not stop you from exploring your own feelings and ideas.

Know that post shtf you may have to kill someone or someones to defend your own life. No one really knows if they can do it or not until it happens, but do think about it. I'm not advocating any kind of violence, merely pointing out that it may be necessary in the interest of survival.

Consider what you will do to help others. Can you turn away starving people if feeding them means you or yours will starve? Thats a tough one, but its likely to happen. You need to think about that.

Those are just a couple of examples of things that each and every one of us will have to come to terms with if and when shtf. Take the time to think about it on your own. Try and make your decisions as best as you can as this will pay off if your actually faced with them some day.

The last thing I have is this: There are no dumb or silly questions. If you need to know, ask. If your too embarrassed to post, then feel free to PM, if I don't have an answer I'll do my best to at least point you in the right direction.

IYAAYAS

KISS Keep it simple stupid

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thank you!

Whether one is prepared or not in any manner RESOLVE will separate survivors from those who perish.

As most families have no preps I would expect RESOLVE and determination will come into play very quickly.. you next door neighbor will be your enemy within hours, then the guy down the road, then everyone in your town.

If you are not prepared to kill every SOB who wants you to "share" your resources stop wasting your time, money and energy and take a trip to Disney World why you still can.

We have taught our kids NOT to discuss our family preps with anyone and NO we won't "save" their friends either.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Whether one is prepared or not in any manner RESOLVE will separate survivors from those who perish.

As most families have no preps I would expect RESOLVE and determination will come into play very quickly.. you next door neighbor will be your enemy within hours, then the guy down the road, then everyone in your town.

If you are not prepared to kill every SOB who wants you to "share" your resources stop wasting your time, money and energy and take a trip to Disney World why you still can.

We have taught our kids NOT to discuss our family preps with anyone and NO we won't "save" their friends either.
Thats an interesting point. I have heard the " If shtf, I'm coming to your house! " enough to make me nervous. I try and help those around me, but 99% aren't listening.

I've discussed this topic before, as its very likely to happen. I too am not going to help those that refuse to help themselves. No free rides.

I would however be more than willing to feed someone that is willing to give something in return. Doesn't have to be much. Maybe splitting some wood, helping out in the garden, or making repairs on equipment.

I live out in the sticks, but I am still concerned that I might get overwhelmed by stampeding sheeple. Especially if word got out that I have supplies. For that reason, we have chosen to bug out to another location if the situation warrants it. Its not accessible. No roads, no trails. Its very difficult to reach, well hidden, and its remote as hell.

Our goal is to avoid these kinds of situations. I don't want to be faced with turning away starving people. Sounds cold, but the reality is simple: You can feed everyone that comes along, and then you can experience starvation yourself.

I'll help those that are willing to work, but I will not help any stranger if it means putting either my life, or any member of my crew in danger.

Its moot anyway. I don't expect company of any sort where I plan on going.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
I would however be more than willing to feed someone that is willing to give something in return. Doesn't have to be much. Maybe splitting some wood, helping out in the garden, or making repairs on equipment.

I live out in the sticks, but I am still concerned that I might get overwhelmed by stampeding sheeple. Especially if word got out that I have supplies. For that reason, we have chosen to bug out to another location if the situation warrants it. Its not accessible. No roads, no trails. Its very difficult to reach, well hidden, and its remote as hell.

Its moot anyway. I don't expect company of any sort where I plan on going.
All that sounds good. And Hope it works out for you even though you live in one of the most overpopulated states. I know you are "far" from big cities such as NYC but I doubt far enough.

And I always wonder how "remote" people can get anywhere east of the Mississippi.

I think my BOL - survival retreat is very remote. Maybe not as remote as many areas in Canada or Alaska but still remote, especially when it is covered in ten feet of snow.

Here it is for new people or any who might have missed this mega pic thread of a good survival retreat > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

Which I do grow some food, I will have another greenhouse etc. if/when I move up there permanently and there is excellent hunting, fishing etc. with an abundance of deer, elk, grouse, trout etc. and Much wood and water also.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All that sounds good. And Hope it works out for you even though you live in one of the most overpopulated states. I know you are "far" from big cities such as NYC but I doubt far enough.

And I always wonder how "remote" people can get anywhere east of the Mississippi.

I think my BOL - survival retreat is very remote. Maybe not as remote as many areas in Canada or Alaska but still remote, especially when it is covered in ten feet of snow.

Here it is for new people or any who might have missed this mega pic thread of a good survival retreat > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

Which I do grow some food, I will have another greenhouse etc. if/when I move up there permanently and there is excellent hunting, fishing etc. with an abundance of deer, elk, grouse, trout etc. and Much wood and water also.
Upstate is actually one of the least populated states. 43% of the total population of NY resides in NYC, which is approx 200 miles south of me. The further north you go, the less populated it gets. NY is also home to the largest national park in conus. I live right in the middle of the Adirondack mountains. Trust me, its remote.

Due to the winters here, I have doubts that folks fleeing the city will come further north. Theres nothing up here to interest them. If shtf during the winter months its unlikely they will get far anyway. We measure snow in feet not inches here as well.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In any case, the ideas I'm talking about have little to do with where a person lives. They still apply, no matter where you live.

I do think that the survivalists in the northern states have a better chance of being left alone. Post shtf I'm betting the majority of the sheepls head south for warmer climates. They simply won't be able to make it once winter gets into full swing.

Reactions: lanahi

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Really good post. Can I copy this and hand it out to interested parties?

·
Registered
34,020 Posts
Excellent Thread!

IMO, the ones that have the best chance of survival are the ones that can think on their feet, decisive thinkers. Making choices that matter and that makes a difference in living or dying.

Just like in many real-life situations too many people get caught up in details and not to the heart of the matter. I was talking to a guy I work with the other day about survivial and all he could talk about was building a canoe to fish and hunt out of...as if that was a foundational key to survival or at least how he saw it.

No room for the weak minded.

How many people do you know when they are confronted with a problem just solve it? Not many, most want to complain, tell others about it, sit and squabble around and talk about etc., few are problem solvers!

Just go out and sit in a Walmart parking lot and watch people having difficulty parking and attempt to negotiate a shopping cart in and out of a store. The majority are grossly over-weight, slow and are completly incompentent.

·
I travel light
2,036 Posts
Just for youto know

Thats an interesting point. I have heard the " If shtf, I'm coming to your house! " enough to make me nervous. I try and help those around me, but 99% aren't listening.

I've discussed this topic before, as its very likely to happen. I too am not going to help those that refuse to help themselves. No free rides.
That sucks. There´s a scarcity of white refined sugar here in the country, despite all the cane juice we buy to Cuba. I did not care as I had a two years supply from 3 years ago, and some contacts who sell it to my extended family by bulk. A female co-worker was complaining about she could not even find one kilogram of sugar and I offered her (actually for her 3 y/o son´s bottles) a couple of kilograms until she could find some more and give them back to me. She screamed (trying to be funny) HOARDER!! and pointed me with one finger in front of everyone else in the office. I gave her the two kilos the next day, told her they were a gift for her son. And never spoke with her again related to my private issues (I told her about the need of having a full stocked pantry, a water tank and generator and stuff) but just work. Me and my BIG mouth. Darn.-

The advice? never speak with anyone beyond those of your immediate trust about your preps. I don´t have any doubt about, in case of need, a national bill prohibition of "hoarding". Don´t think that can´t happen there in USA as well.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
In any case, the ideas I'm talking about have little to do with where a person lives. They still apply, no matter where you live.

I do think that the survivalists in the northern states have a better chance of being left alone. Post shtf I'm betting the majority of the sheepls head south for warmer climates. They simply won't be able to make it once winter gets into full swing.
And you have given some very good ideas especially for new people or those who have to improve their survival knowledge. Which everyone can improve something and some areas.
But some of us have been studying and Living survival and survivalism as a lifestyle for years. Since 1982 in my case.

And from NYCity I am not so sure that many or even most would head south. Possibly If they could get very far. Millions of people and many cities south of NYC also. I would wager that many would probably head north to upstate NY and other points as far as they could make it. I am sure quite a few, possibly many many thousands have heard about and even vacationed in upstate NY and the "wilderness" up there.

I am really not trying to put down upstate NY but just trying to make sure I and others understand all possible scenarios.

Upstate NY may have the largest national park but western states especially along the Continental Divide have many Millions of acres of national forest, pure wilderness etc. etc.

I could give links info etc. and a site comparing all that and proving how the west is very probably better in many ways than eastern states. In spite of making many angry from Maine to NC to upper Michigan.

But maybe this pic will show the difference ? >

I can see that upper NY etc. has some "empty" areas but west of the Mississippi has many many many empty areas. The lighted areas are usually along interstate highways and the few big cities in the West.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
And you have given some very good ideas especially for new people or those who have to improve their survival knowledge. Which everyone can improve something and some areas.
But some of us have been studying and Living survival and survivalism as a lifestyle for years. Since 1982 in my case.

And from NYCity I am not so sure that many or even most would head south. Possibly If they could get very far. Millions of people and many cities south of NYC also. I would wager that many would probably head north to upstate NY and other points as far as they could make it. I am sure quite a few, possibly many many thousands have heard about and even vacationed in upstate NY and the "wilderness" up there.

I am really not trying to put down upstate NY but just trying to make sure I and others understand all possible scenarios.

Upstate NY may have the largest national park but western states especially along the Continental Divide have many Millions of acres of national forest, pure wilderness etc. etc.

I could give links info etc. and a site comparing all that and proving how the west is very probably better in many ways than eastern states. In spite of making many angry from Maine to NC to upper Michigan.

I can see that upper NY etc. has some "empty" areas but west of the Mississippi has many many many empty areas. The lighted areas are usually along interstate highways and the few big cities in the West.
wow think of how much electricity we could save by shutting down LA, Chicago and NY for a week. Why dont the green police toss that idea on the agenda?

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow think of how much electricity we could save by shutting down LA, Chicago and NY for a week. Why dont the green police toss that idea on the agenda?
Your right, but could you imagine the panic?

I know folks that freak out when their cell phones stop working, imagine telling these folks they have to do without power for even as little a 2 hours a day?

Reactions: The Saint

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Trust me Mike, your point is well received. Even with the research I have done, and as remote as I am, I worry about it.

Being the type of guy I am, when I worry, I do something about whats bothering me. Not to go too far into detail, but I'm working on a network up here with other upstates. If things get as bad as I think, the only hope anyone really has is to find other like minded individuals, and they must cooperate.

I've been looking for a way out of here for over a year now. Problem is I'm kinda stuck. I have an excellent job, I own my own land and home outright, and I've put considerable time, effort, and money into my property.

I'm certainly not old, but the thought of starting over at a new job at 35 is not something I really want to do. Thats really the main thing keeping me here, the job. The company I work for had a 23% increase in sales last year. There isn't allot of business out there doing that in this economy. And I love the job. Its a small family run business that takes excellent care of its employees.

I've been looking, and I can't find anything decent in the places I wish to be. namely Alaska. Although the North Western states would not be ruled out if I could make it work. Yes, I love the winter. I spent my entire 8 years in the military in the tropics and desert climates.

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough here. Back on topic.

No one really knows exactly what is going to happen. I don't concern myself too much with these kinds of thoughts. What I focus on is people. I pay close attention to those around me, and I study behavior.

Before I get into this, I'm not out to thrash city folks. Its probably not going to sound that way, but that really isn't what I'm out to do here. I have friends that live in NYC, and many of them are good people. But most of them are not survivors.

I have seen folks from the city that can not tell the difference between a goat, and a deer. They have never grown anything, or raised an animal. They can't navigate without street signs, and have never even seen a compass.

Most of them are intimidated by what they don't understand. And as far a people go: folks tend to avoid at all costs things that make them uncomfortable.

I have serious doubts that 99% of the folks from the city that make the trip up here, can travel up the side of a mountain, through the scrub, across two fast water streams, and walk the 15 miles to the place we have set up. I forgot to mention the rather large swamp at the base, theres that as well. We do it with horses and pack mules. Walking? Not bloody likely.

Thats provided the masses can even get here. Ok, I hear what your saying. 200 miles isn't much of a buffer, I agree. However, I would point out that if theres that much panic, and people are fleeing the city in mass, travel by vehicle and road isn't going to get many very far. Especially from NYC. It is after all, an Island. There's two bridges, and two tunnels that connect it to the mainland. Thers is approx 11 million people in NYC. See the problem?

Yes, its a gamble. Everything is, when considering what might happen post shtf.

Now, for the sake of argument, lets say all 11 million folks from NYC head north. Thats not going to happen, but lets look at it for a minute.

So, they all get out of the city and head for the hills. What are they going to do once they get here? There won't be much left for them to loot, and once they raid the homes and stores that they can find.....what then?

They will be in the same position they were in back in the city. No food, no electricity, no free rides. I imagine fighting breaks out, and once winter hits, millions of them will either starve, or freeze to death.

Will some of them head out into the woods? I'm sure of it. Will many of them make it? Some will. But really, if they are fleeing with a mob, they probably are not prepared in any way to make a go of living off the land.

Will anyone find me and my bunch? Its possible. Unlikely, but its there. I don't plan on making it easy for anyone to find me, and with my background I know plenty of ways to make it really dangerous for anyone to try. I am talking post shtf of course, when law and order go by the boards. The route to our location is protected by natural barriers, and I plan on doing some work once we get there, trust me. I have the training, and I can get the materials easy enough to set up some interesting defenses.

And I'm not alone. I have my entire family on board, along with my best friends. Me and my friend served together, and my pops is a Nam vet. My wife was raised in Texas, and can do damn near anything with the horses and cows. My Friends wife is an R.N., and he's a jack of all trades. Welding, fabricating, construction, anything mechanical. We have the skills necessary to make it, is what I'm saying.

Alone, I could do very little. Together, theres nothing we can't do.

Last thing.

Those folks from the city better behave themselves if they decide to come up here. Us back woods types won't be giving them a very warm welcome if they decide to loot and pillage. Theres actually quite a network of folks up here that are slowly coming together, and its very comforting to know that NY hasn't been completely over run by the nonsense coming out of a city that isn't even connected to the rest of the state.

Sorry for the long post. Prep on.............

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
Wow, that was sorta long but good, iyaayas.

You probably don't have anything to worry about even IF the SHTF etc. I would make a good underground shelter/bunker though, if you don't have one. I don't think there is anything more protective or defensible than a good bunker on a hillside. Which is what I have built if any have missed any of my 4 pic threads or homepage.

You are lucky to have All of your family and good friends to help. Many do not but still do what we can. I have the makings of a good survival group this coming summer, hopefully. More about that later, at least next winter when I come back to "civilization"

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You probably don't have anything to worry about even IF the SHTF etc. I would make a good underground shelter/bunker though, if you don't have one. I don't think there is anything more protective or defensible than a good bunker on a hillside. Which is what I have built if any have missed any of my 4 pic threads or homepage.

You are lucky to have All of your family and good friends to help. Many do not but still do what we can. I have the makings of a good survival group this coming summer, hopefully. More about that later, at least next winter when I come back to "civilization"
No, I got plenty to worry about, which is why I prepare!

I've always been a country boy, growing up the way I did. My Dad worked ranches when he got out of the Navy. Kansas, and Colorado. He worked the oil fields in KS, before Haliburton moved most of its operations overseas.

We moved to upstate NY in the 80's, back when the state was growing, and work was easy to find. Dad got tired of the cowboy life, and decided to give the 40 hours a week a try. We made it okay, although money was always tight. We ate allot of home grown food, and hunting for us wasn't a sport.

I wouldn't trade any of it. I learned allot, not the least of which is how to work hard, and how to live well without making car loads of money. In a way, I guess I've been preparing my whole life for a time when I might have to depend solely on myself, and those around me.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent Thread!

IMO, the ones that have the best chance of survival are the ones that can think on their feet, decisive thinkers. Making choices that matter and that makes a difference in living or dying.

Just like in many real-life situations too many people get caught up in details and not to the heart of the matter. I was talking to a guy I work with the other day about survival and all he could talk about was building a canoe to fish and hunt out of...as if that was a foundational key to survival or at least how he saw it.

No room for the weak minded.

How many people do you know when they are confronted with a problem just solve it? Not many, most want to complain, tell others about it, sit and squabble around and talk about etc., few are problem solvers!

Just go out and sit in a Walmart parking lot and watch people having difficulty parking and attempt to negotiate a shopping cart in and out of a store. The majority are grossly over-weight, slow and are completely incompetent.
That is all too true of most folks in this country, Unfortunately.

Walmart is a perfect example to use. Almost everyone shops there, sometime. I find it interesting to observe the behavior of people in places like this. I see allot of aimless wandering, slack eyes, slow shuffling feet, and it bothers me.

On the one hand, its comforting to be wide awake, with a purpose. On the other had, its sad that so many seem to be sleeping on their feet, with no purpose at all.

I doubt those of us that are preparing for hard times will have much to worry about from these people. There is an alarming number of them, but they have the mentality of livestock. I'm not being cute here. I mean that, 100%

We all know what happens to livestock now don't we?

Sorry, rambling again............

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

We have something like that. Although its not on a hillside, we went big. Its on the side of a mountain, 3/4 of the way up.

All I can say is: you can do anything with timber and sandbags. ANYTHING.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.