Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This can be moved to the religion section if necessary but I want atheists input here as well, and this is why:

Even for believers, there is no true symptom of "possession".

Scenario:

SHTF 6 months ago, your bugged in on a homestead/ ranch / home in suburbia, haven't seen outsiders in over 30 days. Have water, food, shelter, fire, munitions for at least 90 days. Group / family of 5-6.

One of your group seems to either be coming down with some sort of sickness, but the religous among you suspect demonic possession. What better time for the devil to strike when already in peril right? No one in your group is a ordained priest or similar.

What do you do? Does this break the group? Even in a close family unit, this could cause divide or worse, not everyone is a believer, and not everyone agrees even under the same denomination.

How do you handle this scenario?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I just watched a movie about the Salem witch trials. Convinced me that some of those involved might have been possessed. DEMON POSSESSION IS SCRIPTURAL. If it happened I think I would look for a Catholic priest. They seem to be the only people now who know anything about exorcisem. I think a possessed person would scare my Baptist pastor just as much as it would scare me.

I think executing a crazy who was part of the group would destroy the group.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This person is quarantined and physical movements are restricted so that they may not harm others or self. Fed, kept clean/sanitary and cared for. If no physical symptoms present, I'm going to recommend to head/council that this person be treated as mentally ill. If **** starts flying around the room everyone better get their head and ass down and do what even atheists do in foxholes....

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This person is quarantined and physical movements are restricted so that they may not harm others or self. Fed, kept clean/sanitary and cared for. If no physical symptoms present, I'm going to recommend to head/council that this person be treated as mentally ill. If **** starts flying around the room everyone better get their head and ass down and do what even atheists do in foxholes....
Great answer.

Have to be treated as any other unknown potential illness until investigated, and you may have more pressing matters at hand.

I've always wondered btw, why do we call foxholes foxholes? The ones we dug in the army, no fox would be in a hole that big and might not be able to get out, lol. Then again, I might be severely underestimating the leaping ability of a fox.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
just fire up the generator, throw in your complete series of Super Natural and see what Sam and Dean Winchester do for demons and then try it. With no religious leaders in your group, what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
It's more an assumption as it's more uncommon, but would your perform an exorcism or similar?
Not in the Catholic sense. There would be prayer, there would be fasting, the individual WOULD be contained to prevent harm to self and others.

But at some point there needs to be a recognition that either we don't have enough markers with God (or the authority) to get it done, or His plan is not the same as ours.

What happens then, I am not sure about at this point. It would depend on the threat level both from outside and from that individual, and our ability to simply put off any drastic measures. But God has commanded a few deaths over mankind's time on this planet, to preserve the group; so that isn't off the table.

Nor would it happen lightly, as you said in the OP, groups can easily break over this sort of thing, it HAS to be a group decision, and it almost HAS to be a consensus, unless you have definite proof of things that someone doesn't accept or value; but make it a necessity.

Pretty good question, FiF....can also extend to the complete slacker, the thief, the wanna be king, and a few other things.:thumb:

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,522 Posts
DIG a hole
a lump of sugar
a chalk mark

a loud noise

refill hole.

You have no time to deal with such a psychosis in a group survival situation that could essentially give away the group when silence must be maintained.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,699 Posts
...I dated a couple chicks who didn't tell me they were bipolar.
Finding out was fun.
Well, the crazy ones are a lot of fun in the sack. It's a race between your tolerance and libido. Eventually the tolerance loses the race but it's a decent run for a while there. But you had better have an exit plan that avoids mayhem. Like say introducing her to the guy at the bar who never pays back the $20 he mooched.

Not buying the possession angle in the OP. Crazy is crazy. No sense in giving it special privileges. They either learn to cope enough to be useful or goodbye. It they can't cope with goodbye then deal with them as a threat. The voices in my head do not like competition.

·
Registered
34,698 Posts
Well, the crazy ones are a lot of fun in the sack. It's a race between your tolerance and libido. Eventually the tolerance loses the race but it's a decent run for a while there. But you had better have an exit plan that avoids mayhem. .
That's what I said.

They have to go a certain length of time before we come over to my house...

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Salem "witches" are generally believed to have been affected by a mold that caused hallucinations; in short, they were poisoned.
If something like that happens in a survival situation, best to quarantine the person affected until an illness is ruled out in the hope that he starts acting normally, and make sure foodstuffs aren't contaminated.
The first member of my group who starts spouting crap about demonic possession gets gagged and locked up in the smokehouse until they shut up. Hard to believe that someone with a brain would pick a nitwit like that to add to the group anyway.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I'd pack all my gear, and as much of theirs as I could get away with, and slip away in the night, looking for another group of non-insane people. Maybe leave a weapon for the 'possessed' person, hoping he can cause enough chaos that the other crazy people won't be a continuing threat.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts