Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long before your money isnt worth anything post-SHTF?

Lets not get cute and clever and talk about our fading dollar right now but rather what happens the minute after an EMP and your money , right away, starts to lose value fast

After reading One Second After - the character buying a carton of ciggs and telling the store owner to split em up into packs for profit...I started to wonder - how long will our $ mean anything?

The first 2-3 days I'd say we'd be able to buy stuff at pretty close to regular retail cost

The first week or 2 I'd say any $ we had would hold value

Once the die off begins it will all be about barter for a very long time

What do you all think?

·
Banned
647 Posts
This depends on what happened, simple disaster like tornado, flood, nothing will change, a hurricane that does massive damage, prices might go up a little but its not the price, its the stock and the ability of the stores to get their orders, then there are the lines and limitations if some are set. If you are talking about a national disaster like massive EMP strikes where we are back into the stone age, the dollar will last perhaps 2 weeks at best, then its pretty much everyone for themselves. Thats where people on these boards come into play, having our stashes, caches, hidden weapons that were obtained through private sales that no one knows you have, then all that ammunition. I give it about 2 months for it to really settle into everyone what kind of grim future we all will have, then the top predators will come out, the gangs etc etc, material objects and things that sustain life will be of the only value. Living is the key and the key is food and water, and lots of it. Gold, silver, gems , will then and only then, come into play and probably not as vast as most think, for if there is no real govt control and you are in a Book of Eli situation, then clearly only key players will want such objects of lustery value since no money scales or currency settings are in place, valuables like these will most likely be limitedly used.

If a long term event is in place, then it will all be surrounded by food and water sources, so being in a group or community with some sort of defense capabilities will be the most sought after sheltering system for survivability. I would have to say, until some sort of law is established once again and has the capabilities of enforcing such laws, metals and gems will be almost unheard of for currency unless you are in some sort of community but even then, that fad will die out so it would be best to save them for any possible financial future if the nation does a complete rebuild and turn around. Comfort items such as liquor, toilet paper, candy, energy drinks, pepsi, root beer, diapers, tampons are to name a few which will hold higher value only second to food, water, and weaponry for in a time like this, when it looks like the world isnt gonna make it, these three things you will in fact need in order to survive.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
If the EMP strikes then the only money in conventional sense will be hard cold cash in your wallet or your safe. I think it will be extremely valuable and important for a long time. Now, if we are talking an apocalyps or something then all bets are off.

Either way it usually takes a while for most people to come to terms with reality.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yep..depends on the "disaster" at hand. Sadly, some of these things can happen overnight. It has happened before in other economies. Hauling an entire wheel barrow full of "money" to the store for a few groceries. Lets hope this doesn't take place.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I totaly depends on the individuals perception of the stability of the government.
If the Goberment is down and not likely to make a comeback in the near future scipt will be worthless.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
While I do not believe in a EMP as a real event or even a possible event, what happens to the US dollar will be interesting after a major fallout. I will say that because of our electronic world that a disruption to supply of electricity will mean stores will not be able to take your cash since their registers will not be able to scan the merchandise and figure the bill. Cash in that circumstance would be problematic.

In the US we do not have any other currencies in regular circulation. Something will still need to be used in order to have commerce continue. Precious metals are unlikely to be used since it is almost impossible for the average person to know the purity and what a coin is worth. Whereas we have had a lifetime of dealing with greenbacks.

One thing I had occur to me after seeing the thread on hiding cash is how much cash is in circulation anymore? I know myself that I almost never use it for normal purchases. It is all plastic or electronic transfer. Indeed having great sums of cash make you look like a drug dealer these days.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I, however do believe in an emp or sun spot taking down the grid. At what point before people know what has transpired ? Well, that tells me that green paper will still be worth something to most small store merchants as they may not know the grid is unlikely to come back up.

Think about it like this.. IF the grid were to go down all at once all over the country and possibly the world, how long before the average person would even know about it. No communication's of any kind, except for a few ham radios possibly or cans with a string tied to them. No papers, books , magizines, tv, computer, ipod , ipad or yourpad. Makes no difference really. Sure there would be a lot of speculation, but no real way at first to confirm or deny anything happend other then a local event.

Under those circumstances, if you went to town especially in the first few days, you would most likely be able to use your greenbacks. After 2-3 days, the shelves would be empty and the greedy bankers etc would be spreading all the greenbacks out and counting them over and over again . Karma

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep i agree with the 3 day thing - buy up what you can as fast as you can of what you want/still need

I know that every time the power goes out, after being on these messageboards and learning about an EMP, I go start my car to make sure its not the start to the end :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
i heard a few world leaders got together to get rid of US $$ as the number 1 world currency and brought up items such as gold and silver. This is old news, but since when did the american dollar mean anything?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hopefully, you have already bought most of what you will need. Not necessarily what you want, but instead need. I keep a few hundred in cash around anyway, and most times can. But not always.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im way late to this game - dont have nearly enough of what I need and am still tempted by the things that I want - slowly trying to get over that :)

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i heard a few world leaders got together to get rid of US $$ as the number 1 world currency and brought up items such as gold and silver. This is old news, but since when did the american dollar mean anything?

ok sly guy - you and I both know what american money means - it means buying the groceries a lot of us buy and buying gas a lot of us use - it may mean less these days on a global scale but daily it still means living to me anyway - im not off-grid like some here

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
For retail purchases, I think it will depend on the owner. For mom and pop operations, reality will set in much quicker than chain stores with decision makers possibly time zones away. Who knows, there may be a few precious days where buying food from Wally World will be a bargain with paper backed by the rock solid Osama administration. :D: To rub salt in their wound, it would be sweet to buy a few bricks of ammo and charge it to Chase Visa. :D:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think the value of the dollar after an event will be tied to the availability of food. If most households in the US do really only have 3 days of food(I think it's more like 1-2 weeks), and the grocery stores an additionally 3 days, I believe cash will hold value for about this long. At this point people would realize that food is more important than paper and will begin to contemplate the possibility of the power not coming back on. Before this point most people would assume that life will continue as normal.

So about a week.

·
Master of sarcasm!!!!!!
300 Posts
Do you remember the Quake in CA???? within couple of days bottle of water was 5 bucks and eggs were selling for 3-5 each....so when something like this happens there are always people willing to take advantage.

Do you remember the floods in North East....guys were buying all sump pumps from all the local chain hardware and home improvement stores at like 15-30 each and when there was none left, they started to sell right in front of the store for 50 each....couple of them got beat up for price gouging

Some people have no morals

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
plenty of threads here on morals or the lack thereof - until you are the one holding the wanted items facing a sea of those who want - judge not - we'd like to think we'd know what we'd do at times like those but if you can make a few fast $ or acquire a much needed item in a trade that'd help those you are taking care of....

but again, as all have said, depending on the "disaster" at hand.....

I do think we'd have a week, tops, to use the cash we have on hand before prices are way too high for the average man to afford or the collective realizes the lights are out for good and money doesnt buy anything anymore

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
agree'd but for a few days $ can buy you those things if you dont have enough or want to get more

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
physical money would be the only thing that will be important...that is if it is. It depends on how disastrous the event was. if the government collapsed, money would be useless soon after because as money is lost/destroyed there is less of it and will slowly lose its importance. Eventually a new type of currency might appear, probably in the form of something necessary for survival.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts