Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never used to drink much coffee, but going to work when it's dark and the bad influence of a coworker have gotten me into it.

What are your plans and equipment for keeping the caffeinated black elixir of life a-flowin' during short term emergencies like a storm or power outage, or even during a longer situation? Also, any ideas for brewing during camping overnight or weekend trips would be appreciated - especially single brew ideas.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
One of these (or anything that can boil water):

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/

One of these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vietnamese+phin&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvietnamese+%28phin%2C+coffee+filter%29.TRS0&_nkw=vietnamese+%28phin%2C+coffee+filter%29&_sacat=0

A year's worth of this (two 250 g mylar valve bags with a 2-year shelf life in box, 17.6 oz total):

http://vietnamese-coffee.com/gourmet-blend-from-trung-nguyen/

And a bunch of green coffee beans, a roaster, and a grinder for when that runs out.

There is no finer single brew solution than the above stainless steel Vietnamese ca phe phin. Just buy a size to match your cup/mug size. You'll probably want a couple of each size, actually--coffee cup, mug, giant mug. But they're cheap. They're small. They're light. And they last forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are making coffee the RIGHT WAY and using a french press, it should never be an issue. If you are not using a french press, start using a french press, you'll thank me. I think the bigger issue is boiling water. If you don't have a dependable way to boil water in a power out scenario, you have problems.

Now, if you just really don't feel like breaking out the stuff to boil water to make coffee, or you're a cold coffee guy, look up cold brewing. I do it a lot during the summer months. Night prior I throw the coffee grounds and water into a mason jar and seal. Wake up in the morning, get myself together, filter the coffee into a travel mug and I'm out the door, no hot water necessary...

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I suppose that just throwing the coffee into a pan of water and bring it to a boil is just too unsophisticated? Works for me when necessary.
Lots of things work when necessary, but unless your preference is Turkish coffee, it helps to have a way to easily separate the grounds from the brewed coffee other than straining it with your teeth.

Prepping is all about avoiding those "when necessary" moments. ;)

I make good coffee with a phin every morning. I make it the same way if the power goes out. I make it the same way if I'm traveling. I make it the same way if backpacking/camping. No "when necessary" issues.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the lead on the Vietnamese apocalypse coffee maker - I'll check that out.

Why are people recommending green coffee beans over roasted?

·
Work in progress
856 Posts
I used to use pour over coffee cones for years, kept the cones for "just in case". So I used a drip cone/pour over maker during the three big outages if Irene, Alfred and Sandy (2011-2012). Had power outages from 4-11 days, varried by event. Also used occasionally frome time to time over the years (coffee maker quitting, etc.).

Put filter in cone, coffee in the filter add hot water. Get the grounds wet then add more water and let the container below fill. You don't need the whole set, just the cone or similar style. You can use the pre made cone filters or make a reusable version from cloth. There are also reusable filters made from a screen type material. The cones come in sizes for making a single cup (right into the cup) or into a pot or thermos (use large cones for more volume at one time).

There are different types and materials....and price points:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EGO7AVW?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Cone-Filter-Coffeemaker-1-Count/dp/B000MIT2OK?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D22M6YA?psc=1

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Boiled grounds are softened and don't taste bad....might even be nutritious.
It's not about taste, it's about texture. Sand, even "softened" sand, in a beverage isn't particularly pleasant to most people. If I want to eat coffee beans, I'll roast them and cover them with chocolate. Otherwise, the way to get the nutrition is to brew them under pressure in an espresso maker. Enough stuff dissolved in the coffee to give it body, yes. Actual grounds in my cup, no, unless they're Turkish powder, which is polite enough to all stay firmly at the bottom of the cup where it belongs.

·
You're a daisy if ya do
2,035 Posts
Over 45 years as a coffee drinker. Normally, I just drink regular drip coffee. Occasionally I'll grind my own or go with an espresso or latte. For emergencies and long term storage, I have a mix of single serve just-add-hot-water, jars of instant, and brews for the ol' percolator over the fire (my fav actually). You can also stretch your coffee with a mix of coffee and chicory, or any of a multitude of other coffee substitutes. In a real pinch, you can even go for a good dark tea which is higher in caffeine than the green teas. Also, store your coffee in a cold environment. It will last longer. Even my cans of drip I keep in the fridge after they are opened. It just tastes fresher that way.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I hear that cold brewed coffee is all the rage. Basically, pour cold water over coffee and let it sit overnight. filter (or press in a french press) and voila cold coffee. But that doesn't sound good to me. I'd quickly heat the cold pressed stuff, but it would probably take less energy than a hot brewed cup.

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
Plant a Yaupon Holly bush in your yard. It must be a Yaupon to work. Female plants are better choices.

Be sure to have barley in your stores.

Gently roast young leaves from the holly, plus some barley in a pan over the stove or camp fire.

A teaspoon each of roasted crushed holly leaves and roasted barley added to 2 cups of water will taste like lousy coffee with loads of caffeine.

Barley as the grain will work best but any roasted grain will make a passable coffee taste. Then the holly adds the kick.

Plus a lot of antioxidants as well from the holly. It's up there with green tea health-wise.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
A teaspoon each of roasted crushed holly leaves and roasted barley added to 2 cups of water will taste like lousy coffee with loads of caffeine.
Good idea if you live where it grows. Just don't overdo the holly leaves--I believe they called it ilex vomitoria for a reason. :taped:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts