Survivalist Forum banner

681 - 700 of 734 Posts

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
1st AR I ever owned (not counting the ones Uncle Sam let me use) was an SP1. Some guy offered me a trade I couldn't pass up so,...

That gun never had so much as a hiccup. I still remember the only failure if you could call it that. It failed to fully eject one factory loaded Remington .223 case.

Al

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
Nice. Did you have to register it?

No, I didn't. Do you mean because of actual M16 FCGs being shipped in some of the early ones?

I checked mine out and it had Semi-auto AR15 FCG parts in it.

Al

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
No, I didn't. Do you mean because of actual M16 FCGs being shipped in some of the early ones?

I checked mine out and it had Semi-auto AR15 FCG parts in it.

Al
I was talking to Gator Monroe. I thought he was in that one state...

I do wish I could go back in time and order some drop in auto sears, while you could buy them.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
I was talking to Gator Monroe. I thought he was in that one state...

I do wish I could go back in time and order some drop in auto sears, while you could buy them.

I got ya'. Disregard. I have to learn to read.:eek::

Al

·
7,138 Posts
Carried a lot shot a little, about time for a new paint job after I wire brush that Chinese anodizing off the hand guard. No safe queens, black-rifles, or fancy tacticool coatings here.
Another 20 round mag fan! I'm definitely not the only one, there's at least 3 of us here.

What red dot is that? Looks just like my Primary Arms.

·
Don't mind me...
498 Posts
It's the el-cheapo Field sport 1x20 red dot, That poor little AR gets banged on too many rocks, trees, posts and well everything for a good optic to be mounted on it. Not a great optic but was close enough to zero that it still would have hit a torso at 25yds even after over a year of getting banged around, major elevation and temperature swings(sea level to 12000+ and -10f to 120f+) BUIS for it have been on the "want list" for, well a couple years now I really should get some sooner rather than later.

20 rounder and the chopped grip are a great compact combo, backup mags are 32DDs but being a hair longer than a Pmag30 they are just downright awkward in such a small AR when moving through brush and the I am a believer in "ounces is pounds" philosophy anyways. Next gunshow I would like to pick up some USGI aluminum 20s.

I haven't hunted since 2011 but this year it's being pressed from defensive duty into full service as originally intended, hopefully on the 15th I will be testing it's ability to replace the .22 for varmint duty.

·
7,138 Posts
I tried that Fieldsport based on a 7004tactical youtube review! Went to zero it and fired 6 shots. With every shot it drifted more and more to the upper left corner until it was stuck up there.

I took it off, set it on a stump and put two rounds through it with the iron sights.

I guess it's hit or miss with those red dots. Pun intended.

My 20 round mags are Colt aluminum. Brownells got some in awhile ago and had a sale for $6 each and I got 3 just because. I have plenty of 30 rounders though. But I like to carry the 20 rounders in the gun.

·
Don't mind me...
498 Posts
I tried that Fieldsport based on a 7004tactical youtube review! Went to zero it and fired 6 shots. With every shot it drifted more and more to the upper left corner until it was stuck up there.

I took it off, set it on a stump and put two rounds through it with the iron sights.

I guess it's hit or miss with those red dots. Pun intended.

Those youtube reviews were what convinced me a $20 optic was worth the gamble. I have zero luck with optics, even name brands but so far this red dot is impressive by my low standards meaning it still works and wasn't dangerously far off target. It seems to be holding fine now since re-zeroing but I also haven't left the mountain states. I pulled my .22 out of storage a few months ago to find the Bushnell 3-9x40 centerfire scope was trash because the lenses got misaligned while it was sitting there for a 18 months, but as always iron sights were hitting on the money.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
Those youtube reviews were what convinced me a $20 optic was worth the gamble. I have zero luck with optics, even name brands but so far this red dot is impressive by my low standards meaning it still works and wasn't dangerously far off target. It seems to be holding fine now since re-zeroing but I also haven't left the mountain states. I pulled my .22 out of storage a few months ago to find the Bushnell 3-9x40 centerfire scope was trash because the lenses got misaligned while it was sitting there for a 18 months, but as always iron sights were hitting on the money.
I have one of those cheap red/green dots and I have it co-witnessed to my open sights on my 9mm AR. No problems at all and, I shoot it a lot because 9mm is so cheap. When you look through it, the dot is right on top of the front sight post. Works great in low light.

Here is the setup on a 5.56 before I moved it to my 9mm.

And, speaking of 20 round magazines, I even have 20 rounders for my AR9. I have 32 rounders also but, I like the 20 rounders because they fit into a lot of standard pistol mag pouches. 32 round mag pouches are made of gold or, something.

Al

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah, they are metal Bulgarian 40 round mags (5.45x39) and they all run flawlessly. I love them but yeah they look crazy! I’ll have to get a side by side pic of one next to my AR wiith a 40-round Magpul mag.
That's a Circle 10 45 round waffle magazine.

Don't cut yourself short 5 rounds.

681 - 700 of 734 Posts