Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post event long term when Wallyworld has been looted and burned and I have used up my stockpile of ammo on the muntant aggressors and extinting ballistic chest ******* with SOCOM II's. Making and adapting ammo may have to be creative. 308 cases from 3006 is doable so is 45 ACP cases from 3006. 410 from 303 brit. 9x19 from 223 rem. Bullets any 308 can be used in a .311 like 7.62x54R.I could post others but you get the jest.
Have you some post event cartridge plans?

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Well, once my great grandkids start to see the stockpile dwindle a bit I hope they have the sense to slow down.
Funny stuff Jida. :)

With regards to your idea forrestdweller ... it is one most true survivalists eventually ask themselves in one form or another.

I bought a book, a long time ago, for just the same reasons ... "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions." It'll take your down the conversion road like no other resource. Here's a picture of mine ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=330422457986&ff4=263602_263622#ht_602wt_1165

http://www.google.com/products/cata...inHJrGwQWEpuiwDg&sa=title&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAjgA#p

I've seen copies going for anywhere from $125.00 to $500.00 dollars ... I paid $35.00 for mine ten years ago. They are no longer in print and they probably never will be again from what I understand. So, it's get what you can ... but they are worth having imho.

Here is a great article on the book ... a MUST HAVE.

Here is a more comprehensive list of where there may be some for sale ...

http://www.google.com/products?clie...nual+of+Cartridge+Conversion&spell=1&oi=spell

http://www.google.com/products?clie...sion&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

And I take it back ... I have now seen a new high price set at $999.99 on Amazon.

$999.98
+ $3.99shipping
Used - Very Good
Seller: TSCBOOKS
Rating:(44954 ratings) 91% positive over the past 12 months.
In Stock.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
Excellent Customer Service - Satisfaction Guaranteed - May have been withdrawn from library circulation

Maybe I should offer to scan some specific cartridges and upload them to files? Would that be something anyone would want me to do a little at a time?

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I figure by the time I run out of bullets to load, I'll be out of powder too. So it's going to be cast bullets and black powder until that's gone. Then it'll be homemade black powder and cast bullets from then on. That's when manually operated guns come in handy. Black powder cartridges cause corrosion in all the gas systems of autoloaders. Bolt and lever actions are easier to clean.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most native americans changed to firearms when they could. Bow and arrow is a rather simplistic answer. Given the reality firearms are better for hunting in most situations and produce a higher return in game getting. Tonto carried a gun as did Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse even Geronemo. And they were raised to shoot bow and arrow.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
Being in the hunting and shooting sports since the age of 10 which was to long ago to think about,I naturally progressed to the art of reloading my own ammo for every center fire cartridges I own and stocking up on the necessary components to do so for many years to come,I make it a point every couple week to add to the supply.

Cartridge conversion are a good thing to keep in mind,I do a few mainly because the brass is either insanely cheap or free to pick up all day long. As mentioned .308 or .06 or there military versions work well for many different rifle and some pistol calibers. I convert LC 7.62 x 51 brass into .300 Savage case the difference is $8 per 100 and a couple hours at my hobby vs $28 per 50 factory cases,I also convert all that free 9mm people leave lying around to 9 x 18 Mak brass plus I use it in my 9mm also.

Another thing to look at is cast bullets,either cast your own or buy commercial,either way you will cut your reloading cost quiet a bit from just shooting jacketed bullets it all depends of if you can get free lead and the powder type you use and how much. Take Alliant 2400 for instance I can load all my rifle rds. and two different pistol rds. with one powder both right at or just under 16 grs. per load,there not the speed burners there copper jacketed top dollar counterparts are but there close and they shoot as well as and often times more accurately,kill small game up to large deer,and it will knock the smile off a two legged critters also.

Rounds I cast for,54r,300 Sav.X39,357/38,9mm and 9 x 18 Mak.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I don't have any oddball calibers, just real common stuff. .30/30 and 7.62x39 are my centerfire calibers. I do have a .450 marlin, but thats only for rectrational hunting. I can live without that one just fine. At the rate I have been shooting. I am good for a decade on 7.62x39, Good for a few years on .30/30 and 20 gauge shotgun trap shells. With 22lr, I may never need to buy more.

If that is all spent out. I keep 2 bricks of magnum primers and a bullet cast for the .30/30. I have a good reciepe for red powder. It uses stuff which is much more common than regular blackpowder. Pretty much sugar, rust powder, and charcoal. It is good for 30 cal. The reciepe is posted on the blackpowder forum. A marlin 336 or even that 450 marlin will make one great primitive firearm. Much better than a single shot blackpowder rifle.

The biggest issue will be primers in that situation.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Most native americans changed to firearms when they could. Bow and arrow is a rather simplistic answer. Given the reality firearms are better for hunting in most situations and produce a higher return in game getting. Tonto carried a gun as did Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse even Geronemo. And they were raised to shoot bow and arrow.
As simplistic as it may be, the original question was what to do when factory produced ammo is no longer available. Your reloading supplies have been used up and you have to resort to unorthodox methods to load your weapon.

Such methods could be very dangerous. A bow and arrow is a good backup to use and a good skill to know.

Tonto was a fictitious character, Kimosabi ;)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
As simplistic as it may be, the original question was what to do when factory produced ammo is no longer available. Your reloading supplies have been used up and you have to resort to unorthodox methods to load your weapon.

Such methods could be very dangerous. A bow and arrow is a good backup to use and a good skill to know.

Agree, but...

If I blow through all of my ammo & components and I'm still alive to talk about it, I'll worry about shooting a bow & arrow. I'd say the chances of me going through all my ammo & needing to use a bow & arrow are about as good as the zombie apocalypse actually happening... & I don't even have that much.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is one of the big reasons why my group went with 9mm instead of .45 APC...we have .223 as our 'tactical' caliber and those cases can be trimmed to make 9mm, extending our brass supply, as the most common break we've seen with .223 is a split neck, which is trimmed away anyway. I'd love to get my hands on that book, though...I'll have to see if I can find a semi-reasonable copy. Would you consider scanning in/posting the book as a file to those of us who are still relatively poor? :thumb:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Threw him in as a ringer to see how alert you were:thumb:

·
Save a life; carry a gun.
717 Posts
Funny stuff Jida. :)

"The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions." It'll take your down the conversion road like no other resource. Here's a picture of mine ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=330422457986&ff4=263602_263622#ht_602wt_1165

http://www.google.com/products/cata...inHJrGwQWEpuiwDg&sa=title&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAjgA#p

I've seen copies going for anywhere from $125.00 to $500.00 dollars ... I paid $35.00 for mine ten years ago. They are no longer in print and they probably never will be again from what I understand. So, it's get what you can ... but they are worth having imho.

Here is a great article on the book ... a MUST HAVE.

Here is a more comprehensive list of where there may be some for sale ...

http://www.google.com/products?clie...nual+of+Cartridge+Conversion&spell=1&oi=spell

http://www.google.com/products?clie...sion&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

And I take it back ... I have now seen a new high price set at $999.99 on Amazon.

Maybe I should offer to scan some specific cartridges and upload them to files? Would that be something anyone would want me to do a little at a time?
l

There are two others you need as well. They are not cheap.

Amazon.com: Designing & Forming Custom Cartridges: For Rifles & Handguns (9780964362307): Ken Howell: Books

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Agree, but...

If I blow through all of my ammo & components and I'm still alive to talk about it, I'll worry about shooting a bow & arrow. I'd say the chances of me going through all my ammo & needing to use a bow & arrow are about as good as the zombie apocalypse actually happening... & I don't even have that much.
That may be but...

The original question was what to do once Walmart has been burned and looted and you've blown through all your ammo.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
l

There are two others you need as well. They are not cheap.
Oh wow ... will have to get one of those.

Wonder why all those books went through the roof suddenly?

Must have something to do with Stoeger Publishing going out of business? I actually visited their operation one time while I was in the area visiting the Beretta plant ... hate they went out of business.

As long as there's cars around, there's gonna be wheel weights.
Good enough.
Not necessarily. The new wheel weights are leadless ... compacted powdered. Worthless to cast boolit makers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.