Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If things go south like in the movies/books we all know and love. What will will be the instrument of choice for economic transaction?

Gold will be useless once the market making system that determines value is gone. Also people will not trust some metal.

The dollar will just be paper to wipe your ass.

Stocks wont exist once the servers disappear. you can thank the mob and 1970s paper crisis for the loss of stock certificates, not that it matters anyhow.

Think prison economy.

Cigarettes make for easy trade, Marlboro for the whites, cools and newports for the black folk.

1 cigarette should be the equivalent of a dollar. Even non smokers would take them as currency since its easy to identify and there is a large market for them.

Ramen is big, its shelf stable, cheap and you can make all kinds of prison cuisine with it.(aka Swole)

Ketchup packets for trade as well.

Toilet paper, we don't live in India.

Liquor, lasts forever and people will want to drink themselves at night to deal with the smell of death and bloated bodies of looters piling up on your front lawn from last nights turkey shoot.

What other things would be useful as a post coronavirus apocalypse currency?

·
Registered
34,705 Posts
It's not.

This is NOT TEOTWAWKI.

It's shaping up like it'll suck, and while it's going to hurt the economy (more) might be an overall win once all the older people no longer require medical care, Social Security, pensions etc.

But this won't "turn out the lights"

You can put your chain mail dress back in the closet next to your hockey mask and "mad max" shoulder pads.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not.

This is NOT TEOTWAWKI.

It's shaping up like it'll suck, and while it's going to hurt the economy (more) might be an overall win once all the older people no longer require medical care, Social Security, pensions etc.

But this won't "turn out the lights"

You can put your chain mail dress back in the closet next to your hockey mask and "mad max" shoulder pads.
Relax.. this is juuuuuuust in case discussion. Most likely nothing will happen but some sick people and life goes on. Yeah might be a big positive for the young ones, like a brushfire giving new growth a chance.

But this is to discuss the black swan event if somehow all hells breaks loose. Why not.

**** forgot Twinkies? That was key in Zombieland.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If things go south like in the movies/books we all know and love. What will will be the instrument of choice for economic transaction?

Gold will be useless once the market making system that determines value is gone. Also people will not trust some metal.

The dollar will just be paper to wipe your ass.

Stocks wont exist once the servers disappear. you can thank the mob and 1970s paper crisis for the loss of stock certificates, not that it matters anyhow.

Think prison economy.

Cigarettes make for easy trade, Marlboro for the whites, cools and newports for the black folk.

1 cigarette should be the equivalent of a dollar. Even non smokers would take them as currency since its easy to identify and there is a large market for them.

Ramen is big, its shelf stable, cheap and you can make all kinds of prison cuisine with it.(aka Swole)

Ketchup packets for trade as well.

Toilet paper, we don't live in India.

Liquor, lasts forever and people will want to drink themselves at night to deal with the smell of death and bloated bodies of looters piling up on your front lawn from last nights turkey shoot.

What does your brother with great insights say abt this?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does your brother with great insights say abt this?
I am too busy busting his balls, when I get the chance. Although he did make a **** load of money buying up insurance. Go figure. You should have bought cheap puts that were selling for pennies when I posted that day. ;) the tip was wrong but not the profits.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Otc meds......feminine hygiene items......coffee.....chocolate.

Doesnt have to be Teotwawki for people to be wishing they had bought ibuprofen, mucinex, vicks and cough drops when we did.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
all my rich friends collect gold, silver, and cash.

I have spent the last 20 years collecting lead, brass, and copper.

I have no need for currency

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all my rich friends collect gold, silver, and cash.

I have spent the last 20 years collecting lead, brass, and copper.

I have no need for currency
Notice silver and gold plunged in value today. This was due to equity margin call liquidations so gold got dumped on the market. And obviously too much gold and not many people wanted it.

Gold and Silver become worthless once there is no functioning orderly market for it.

·
Registered
34,705 Posts
Notice silver and gold plunged in value today. This was due to equity margin call liquidations so gold got dumped on the market. And obviously too much gold and not many people wanted it.

Gold and Silver become worthless once there is no functioning orderly market for it.
that is complete bull**** as proven here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksilver

What got "dumped" was PAPER PM's which the corupt system has allowed to (fraudulently) influence the value of the physical.

That's the thing about PM's.
They aren't dependant upon any market or FRN.

BTW: Ramen goes rancid rapidly.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Socks. Number one item wanted by the professional homeless.

Canned food with meat. Chunky soup could go a long way.

Gold is for preserving your wealth. It leaves you still rich AFTER things start recovering. (No wealth to preserve? Then don't fall for trying to keep gold. Use it as FRNs buying better stuff.)

·
Christian Patriot
77 Posts
Proverbs 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

Proverbs 27:12 A prudent man sees evil and hides himself,
The naive proceed and pay the penalty.

Two straight up verses out of the bible that tells us to be prepared and watch for evil and destruction.

So, I ask you...if the Lord tells us to prepare...is this spam or just wise wisdom from the Lord God Almighty?

I was out and about today and the ostriches with the heads in the sand have no idea in the state we are in.

I've said this before and I will say it again. If I can't eat it, drink it or shoot it...I have no need for it when the SHTF comes around. So what does this mean....Food, Water...and guns and ammo to protect the food and water supply, now there are other items, like a first aid kit...

I've always said, you can have all the gold in the world, but without food you will surely die as you cannot eat the gold...

Just listen to Hank Williams Jr...Country Boy and you will catch my drift...when the shft comes...well lets just say...I wouldn't want to be in the big city...I'm good to go right in the country where people are not packed in like sardines in a can...

So with all this said...prepare folks...yet I will say this as well....we will all die one day...some sooner than others...and if ya don't know Christ as Lord and Savior, well lets just say, its gonna be hot time in the old city of the Lake of Fire. and for those who say hogwash...well I would rather believe what God has placed in my heart then to not believe and wind up in a 10,000 degree hot bath.

So in closing if I'm wrong, no harm no foul I just cease to exist...but if you are wrong...well, lets just say it again...you are gonna be inn eternal torment to suffer for ever in the Lake of Fire...in the end it makes no difference to me if you believe or not...but you cannot say you were not warned.

CP1776 out

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
Think prison economy.

Never smoked and I have no need for them, not even hoping to re-trade them down the line. But, if you can hold on to your for a month or two, when the smokers run out, you can probably make some good trades.

I have eaten Ramen a few times, but I wouldn't take it, or even a case of it, for payment. Just not my type of food-like-substance.

Liquor will definitely be a trade-able commodity. When the liquor store has a good sale buy an extra bottle for the shelf. Get a variety (of things you may like) to help broaden the horizon when the negotiations start.

Instead of cigarettes maybe a variety of sugar type candy. SweeTarts, Runts, Nerds, or similar will get many people drooling, and usually if packaged well and dry they will stay good for quite a while. Many times as a kid hunting in the early fall I would reach in my hunting jacket pocket and find left over Halloween candy from the year before and it would still taste good 11 months later. That was with the jacket hanging in the basement a full year, not even in a ziplock or vacuum packed.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
4,935 Posts
Re: Toilet Paper shortage
Remedy : get a portable bidet sprayer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8RKUCO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A216JI1GI45BCF&psc=1

GOLD
Allegedly there is only 5.9 billion ounces of gold bullion versus 7+ billion humans. That comes out to less than one ounce per capita. Which means gold will never be a medium of exchange to facilitate trade, because it is too scarce and cannot proportionately grow with the population.

What could be one of the most precious commodities post SHTF:
Antibiotics and other prescription medicines.
A stock of penicillin will be a lifesaver, especially if medically trained professionals are scarce.

·
Registered
34,705 Posts
I've always said, you can have all the gold in the world, but without food you will surely die as you cannot eat the gold...

CP1776 out
Oh, let me go throw my gold in the driveway.
I didn't know I couldn't have BOTH food and gold!!!!:rolleyes:

Hey! Wait a minute!
I can't eat magazines of ammo.
I cannot shoot beans in my rifle.
A bag of wheat is not a very good pressure dressing.
Quick clot doesn't purify water!
:xeye:

Considering gold was one of the 3 wise men's gifts....
Pretty sure your good.

BTW:
"Bocephus" Is a city boy.:cool:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Back where it was feb 6th, not a plunge. By my reckoning anyhow.

Do you remember 2012?

Reactions: Aceoky

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Gold only dropped a LITTLE, the selling & price drop was caused by those who took a real beating in the stock market drop was more than likely to cover margin calls & to reestablish cash liquidity - to buy stocks again - when a stock market bottom is reached.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,972 Posts
I have about a thousand dollars in soda and junk food in storage in a federal building. They have proven they will STEAL it all to give to the workers and then tell us to send them a bill.

So I can count on having my business assets stolen if it gets bad. As many have witnessed in the movies, the first thing to go in a disaster is the vending machine.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gold only dropped a LITTLE, the selling & price drop was caused by those who took a real beating in the stock market drop was more than likely to cover margin calls & to reestablish cash liquidity - to buy stocks again - when a stock market bottom is reached.
Yes thats what I was alluding to. It happened in the last big crashes. If the US suffers from hyperinflation the. Gold will give you a store of value. As long as its not a madmax assless chaps scenario in the world.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts