Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my thoughts on Post Apocalyptic Refrigeration

There are many options to do refrigeration with simple technology
one option is a Hilsch vortex tube — you could use a water wheel to power a compressor to provide compressed air to the cooling system using a Hilsch vortex tube for cooling

another option is a ice ball cooler — simply 2 containers under pressure with ammonia and water inside heat one container to boil off the ammonia – and cool the other with water … then when you take the heat away the water will freeze around the second container.

https://civilizationsend.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/post-apocalyptic-refrigeration/

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my upstairs kitchen there is a old 60's refridgerator that runs on NG or Propane. I ran it on a 20# grill bottle and it lasted for 35 days. A couple of 100# bottles should take care of refrigeration for about a year. Probably not long enough but a good cushion.
they work great can even convert them to run off solar energy if you fet a fresnel lense that can focus heat on the part the gas heats ;)

or even hook up a gasifier- might wanna build a shed out side though if you do cause the fumes might do you harm

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeah pity i live in africa ;) not much snow or ice here ... or water i.e creeks ...
so i guess not much use here ...
With the spring house all you have to do is drill a well and then have the water running around the food containers on its way to your cistern.

In your neck of the woods I would avoid any food that needs to be refrigerated at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 12vdc fridge and freezer. I also have a LP fridge. The 12vdc is an awesome unit and uses only 85 watts dc and 6.5 amps. The freezer reaches -16 in 2 hours. http://www.sunelec.com/sun-electron...0.html?zenid=6a64391df1c38f28a2868600d01bc25d
nice but in our terms very expensive .. not locally made so needs importing ... also if it needs repairs they will be hard to do --
and if i remeber those dont have very good power ratings so they use lots?

to give you some perspective of cost $575.00 is R4750 excluding shipping handling and tax i can get a normal full size fridge for R1800

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the spring house all you have to do is drill a well and then have the water running around the food containers on its way to your cistern.

In your neck of the woods I would avoid any food that needs to be refrigerated at all.
yup thats why biltong is high on our list of supplies -- for the rugby as a snack or even survival ( if my wife/kids/ dogs /cats.... dont finish it first )

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
In my upstairs kitchen there is a old 60's refridgerator that runs on NG or Propane. I ran it on a 20# grill bottle and it lasted for 35 days. A couple of 100# bottles should take care of refrigeration for about a year. Probably not long enough but a good cushion.
I found one of the larger Nordic refrigerators in a RV that was being parted out. I paid $100. You can use propane, the fresnal lens, candle or other heat source to get your unit to work. These can be found if you keep looking. They could be invaluable in a bug in situation.

·
If you're an author PM me
509 Posts
Yet another reason to live in the north, especially Michigan.
Part of our plan is to build an ice-house deep in the side of a hill.
Figure a room that would normally be in the 50's because of depth, that gets left open all winter to increase the frost line depth, and have minimum 8' thick ice wall, and buried caches of ice. After the first year it should get easier because then we will have a better idea as to how much ice needs to be harvested.

Might even end up preparing for some air conditioning too. I'll know If I want to work for AC this winter because I finally got an ice saw built.

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
If you put an unglazed clay pot inside of a larger unglazed clay pot with water and cover it with a towel, it will keep your milk and other items cool. It's the same concept as the butter bell that I keep my butter in on my counter.

Here is a link that shows how to keep your produce cool:

http://www.brinq.com/workshop/archives/2005/01/08/keeping-it-cool-clay-pot-refrigeration
They use this in parts of Africa to keep food fresh where there is no power.

Keeps your beer cold too i've found:thumb:

·
Totally off grid
2,882 Posts
nice but in our terms very expensive .. not locally made so needs importing ... also if it needs repairs they will be hard to do --
and if i remeber those dont have very good power ratings so they use lots?

to give you some perspective of cost $575.00 is R4750 excluding shipping handling and tax i can get a normal full size fridge for R1800
$575 for a 12vdc fridge/freezer combo is the best price i have found anywhere. Hardly anything is made in USA anymore. Good luck with that. I am talking from experience here. I own one and these little fridges, they rock. They use VERY little power.

Sure you can get a cheaper full size 120vac cheaper, but this thread is about AFTER the shtf. Powering anything 120vac will be expensive. Either in terms of inverter power used or generator.

Just a thought...when TSHTF and there is no more availability of ANYTHING, will it matter that is is made in China? Parts for anything will NOT be available readily.

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$575 for a 12vdc fridge/freezer combo is the best price i have found anywhere. Hardly anything is made in USA anymore. Good luck with that. I am talking from experience here. I own one and these little fridges, they rock. They use VERY little power.

Sure you can get a cheaper full size 120vac cheaper, but this thread is about AFTER the shtf. Powering anything 120vac will be expensive. Either in terms of inverter power used or generator.

Just a thought...when TSHTF and there is no more availability of ANYTHING, will it matter that is is made in China? Parts for anything will NOT be available readily.
yeah i understand your point about parts post shtf - -but i prefer to live my preps -- i don't have a separate Post shtf fridge i use the one i have for then -- part are easier to scrounge from things that are sold locally -- for instance if 1 million out of 40 million house holds have similar fridges i can find at least 500k compressors that will fit my fridge - i'm not saying thats the case but its an analagy -- buying what everyone else has may not be ideal but finding part certainly are easier to find

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.