Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who don't know, a couple years ago a possum got in through the cat door and lived in the house for a couple of months until I figured out the trap and got him evicted.

When I had my crisis with the broken water pipe, damage, workers in and out Mama Cat ran off. I put out a cat trap with some food and I caught the possum again, he has gotten very fat and round, he can hardly walk.

This morning I was looking out the back window and saw him again, ambling around, eating bugs (good boy!). The kittens were nearby and watching him, it was all very friendly.

I told my husband if I could own a gun we could eat him, if things get bad. :rofl:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
For those who don't know, a couple years ago a possum got in through the cat door and lived in the house for a couple of months until I figured out the trap and got him evicted.

When I had my crisis with the broken water pipe, damage, workers in and out Mama Cat ran off. I put out a cat trap with some food and I caught the possum again, he has gotten very fat and round, he can hardly walk.

This morning I was looking out the back window and saw him again, ambling around, eating bugs (good boy!). The kittens were nearby and watching him, it was all very friendly.

I told my husband if I could own a gun we could eat him, if things get bad. :rofl:

The story was great until the thought of "eating a possum" popped into my brain. Yikes! I suppose there are some folks in the world who thrive on possum but I might be inclined to starve first. :D:

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robin, I have severe mental illness so disqualified. My husband is blind.

I am honest enough to admit I will eat exotic meats if I get hungry.

·
Registered
770 Posts
A few years ago

A few years ago, I played golf with the son of an old friend.

A possum crossed the fairway and the subject of eating one arose .

My friend's son, stated that he would never eat a possum because they were too nasty.

I reminded him of how poor we all were when he was growing up and told him that his mother could have fed him a possum and told him it was a Lobster!

:)

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I don't mind. It's an honest questioni, "Why would a survivalist fail to have a gun?" I do have other weapons, not as good but should deter a moderately determined home invader.

·
Proud American Patriot
2,401 Posts
By coincidence, I saw a post on another website from a possum saying that the same human is still occupying the house it likes to hang out in.

Many years ago I killed a possum that had been coming around and eating the cat food my wife laid out; I beat it to death with a stick. I didn't eat it; I just threw it in the trash. I learned much later that possums do much good and little if any harm. But it was eating the cat food. Today though I wouldn't kill it; I'd move the cat food instead. I would kill it only if I needed the food, which I don't.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
My problem is with raccoons. A family moved into my chimney one summer. Fortunately I rarely use that fireplace since I have a much more efficient woodstove in another part of the house. We evicted them come late spring, but they or another group found a way into the attic. (You never get just one raccoon. They automatically come in whole family clans.) They discovered that stored paper towels and bathroom tissue are the best nesting material a mama **** could want, and I lost a whole year's worth of paper goods.

Personally I would do a lot to not need to eat wild rodent related animals. I'm ok with domestic rabbits and hares but there's too many icky things the wild ones might carry, especially the ones that might eat carrion.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Sorry, meant no offense. But you have trapped it before so perhaps a blunt object to the head so you might enjoy the meat.

In the olden days ... a person had the right to bear arms regardless of their imperfections. It used to be a Constitutional right. In my opinion ... the right to defend ones self is never out of vogue.

Reactions: n1d

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Raising poultry flocks, I used to hate ‘possum, not really sure why. Now, there may be two or three biguns hanging round and really doesn’t bother me because I realize how beneficial they are.
Back in the 70’s when I was a teen making good $ fur trapping, had mom bake a possum and I was the only one that tried it. So much for that.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jackson, when I'm off I really shouldn't have a weapon. I have pepper spray and a hatchet, will get my stun gun back next week, that is about all I "should" have.

Reactions: ActionJackson

·
Proud Crusader
2,184 Posts

Cool story, bro.:xeye:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Jackson, when I'm off I really shouldn't have a weapon. I have pepper spray and a hatchet, will get my stun gun back next week, that is about all I "should" have.

We should all know our limitations. Glad you know yours. But I'd almost prefer getting hit with a bullet over a hatchet. Now I'm going to have a Halloween or Friday the 13th nightmare tonight. :(:upsidedown:

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They used to call me "Heather the Hatchet" on the ham radio circuit back around '99. I would get cranky because he would stay late at work without calling, so I never knew to hold dinner.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Critters are critters....some are greasy and require pouring off the fat periodically during thier low and slow cook. Thats possum, ducks and geese....some cultures include **** to but many pass because of the g/i tract parasites.

Possum as a meal....not very good but beats starving. Not even good bait for land lines. Mostly I would pelt them for gas $$$.

Get hungry enough.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Possums are a disease reservoir for bovine tuberculosis, leptospirosis, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. (yes, I looked that up) Their only saving grace is that they rarely carry rabies.

They are also cannibals. (Yes, I have seen this on the farm here.) My cats are afraid of them, I assume for good reason.

No, I do not like possums, would never even consider eating one, and do my best to keep them as far from my door as possible. Difficult in this rural setting, there are so many, but a little .22 caliber discipline helps.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Possums also eat rats, snakes, and roaches.. and ticks. :thumb:

They are developing some land near my subdivision so I expect to see more.

·
Plays best, alone
4,935 Posts
The story was great until the thought of "eating a possum" popped into my brain. Yikes! I suppose there are some folks in the world who thrive on possum but I might be inclined to starve first. :D:
Or intentionally fast a bit longer. :D:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts