Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 90.6%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many a year a go, i had a godfather who was moving down to Mexico.
So he sold me his colt ar 15 for about 200$ (gotta love family)

My main problem was, and continues to be the price of ammunition.
When I had a better job I would purchase 2 20 round boxes of ammo per week.
I would store one, and save the other for a long day of range training.

Now i can barely afford a box a week. if that.
I only have 5 boxes in storage.

So I have a friend who helps run a local pawn shop who said that he would trade with me.
If i was to transfer my AR15 over to him, he would, in return transfer...
1 Polish Tantal
1 Case of ammunition
1 Chicom chest rig
1 refurbished comp m2 red dot
4 magazines

I'm seriously considering it.
The guy I train with uses a AK74 so it would be easier for us to combine resources
I had a gunsmith buddy of mine inspect it, and he said its quality.

Opinions?
Suggestions??

·
Not that mutherscratcher
142 Posts
How long before you shoot up that case of ammo training? Is the price of that kind of ammo higher or lower than .223? All depends on how u plan to use ur resources. Do u plan to save the case of ammo and keep it squirraled away and buy a few boxes of ammo to train with? Do u have a red dot, chest rig and mags and or similar with the other gun? Does the gun have any sentemental value to you? Are you comfortable with the ak platform? Sorry if ive only made you more confused but in the end its your decision. Hope I've helped

Reactions: walcott

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
If it's a Colt, and it's old, it might be valuable. Blue Book it, but better yet, have a professional take a look. They're odd sometimes. I saw a group of ancient looking pencil barrels with three prong flash suppressors, for some reason some were more valuable than others and it wasn't based solely upon condition.

If it's a decent AR, and a 100% Colt, I'd do better for you than that.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way. But if you trade your gun, sell it, lose it whatever. Then your an idiot and you will regret it the rest of your life. Sure one day maybe you could get another. But you'll pay a fortune for it especially if you want another Colt but it still won't be the same one your loved one gave you. It may have no sentimental value to you now. But that doesn't mean that it never will.

Another point, If the crap would hit the fan tomorrow that is likely to be the easiest rifle you will even be able to A locate ammunition for and B shoot very accurately with hardly any training. The Polish Tantal is an excellent AK platform. But you are thinking very short term. The precision quality will never compare to the AR. And I am a big fan of the AK. The AK is not supposed to be precise.

And lastly If the guy at the pawn shop is willing to do it. It's not a good deal for you. lol I imagine you could sell your colt get two Tantals and 2000 rounds for what it would sell for on gun broker. It's a good deal for him. Also do you think he has any idea if somebody was killed with the gun hes trying to trade u? He couldn't possibly have a clue.

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the guy i got it from now sells drugs in mexico and we're pretty sure is dead. So the sentimental value is low.
Plus its about 3 years old

Also the cost of ammo is waaaaaaay cheaper

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way. But if you trade your gun, sell it, lose it whatever. Then your an idiot and you will regret it the rest of your life. Sure one day maybe you could get another. But you'll pay a fortune for it especially if you want another Colt but it still won't be the same one your loved one gave you. It may have no sentimental value to you now. But that doesn't mean that it never will.

Another point, If the crap would hit the fan tomorrow that is likely to be the easiest rifle you will even be able to A locate ammunition for and B shoot very accurately with hardly any training. The Polish Tantal is an excellent AK platform. But you are thinking very short term. The precision quality will never compare to the AR. And I am a big fan of the AK. The AK is not supposed to be precise.

And lastly If the guy at the pawn shop is willing to do it. It's not a good deal for you. lol I imagine you could sell your colt get two Tantals and 2000 rounds for what it would sell for on gun broker. It's a good deal for him. Also do you think he has any idea if somebody was killed with the gun hes trying to trade u? He couldn't possibly have a clue.
All of this is correct!.....OP if you do not listen to the above post...........well lets just say you will be back letting him know he was right. and then he may or, may not tell you he told you so. I work at a gun and pawn store.................................................................DONT DO IT! sell the colt if you want a cheaper rig with cheaper ammo.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Run the numbers man and you can answer your own question. Even with the 200 acquisition cost the pawn dude is sticking it to you.

Don't mix emotion with common sense. Take your time and save for the proper ammo.

Reactions: walcott

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
people confuse value with dollar amount.

Reactions: otto3333333

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
i would say to just continue the search for cheaper .223... although i do not shoot steel out of my .223 guns, it sound like it might work for your training purposes.

i dont know if you want to absorb the high startup cost, but reloading is also a viable option... i can reload [brass cased boxer primed] .223 for about .14 cents per round now. it also takes an investment in terms of time.

colts are pretty hard to find, and right now tantals are not... i would probably stick with the colt... silver bear .223 is about the same price as silver bear 5.45 x 39, so i would say if you are looking to just feed the thing to consider just buying some silver bear in bulk. the powder leaves a bit more residue in my experience, but the primers are non-corrosive and the electroplaced zinc coating extracts more smoothly than either laquer or polymer coated rounds. a lot of folks might scoff at this suggestion, but it is cost effective.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/silver-bear/500rd-223-silver-bear-62gr-soft-point-556-223

here is 500 rounds for about 115 bucks... try to remember that buying in bulk is always more cost effective than buying boxes at retail.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
decide what is more important to you, range time, or stored ammo. sometimes being a prepper means we have to sacrifice the things we want now, for the things we may need later. I would love to be able to buy a box of ammo a week, can not afford to. it is important to me to have ammo stored, i would love to go blast off all my stored ammo at the range, and it is tempting sometimes, but i dont, and i dont get to shoot as often as i would like(maybe once every 3 months). buy your box a week, shoot ten save ten, compromise and sacrifice will win out in this situation. Learn to be frugal and do without now, and it wont suck so bad later.

·
sturm maus
924 Posts
dude for my 2 cents worth Im as ak as antone will ever be but if youve got a RELIABLE weapon theres not really any diff in the ammo cost.plus you can do more with the AR lower.yes Im ak to the bone but realistic a little bit of ammo learn to run tour weapon..plus you dont have to fire it to become proficent with it make it feel you......hey also a god gift bud karma is a b...trust the guys on this dont get tactical eyed by someone wanting your heritage....sides if hes that good a friend he will let you put it on a layaway if your hearts set on the ak..

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,889 Posts
Keep the Colt........Get a better job!

Secrets to horse trading: Trade up not down!

Reactions: petergunn
1 - 20 of 41 Posts