Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read on CNN.com that the UK is blaming social media (facebook etc) for the riots & considering a blackout of such services for the safety of the people. I've read at least one thread on SB from a guy who lives in the UK, scary stuff. Just doesn't seem right to violate free speech in order to "protect". Hopefully he will still be able to keep us posted on here...

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
No rights for terrorists, UK or USA. It may inconvenience people, but that's a trade off. They used the same communications to take over Egypt, what would you do?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What if the same situation were happening here in the US? I'm not condoning rioting by any means, but severing several forms of communication in the US seems to me that it would inflame the situation.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
No rights for terrorists, UK or USA. It may inconvenience people, but that's a trade off. They used the same communications to take over Egypt, what would you do?
I would never trade freedom for security.

I'd use Ham radio on auto repeat in a remote location, and monitor it from afar.

Those riots might be ugly, and unpopular but they happened for a reason. That **** storm's blame falls on their Government, not ones ability to organize.

Terrorism and Patriotism depends on which side your on, and more importantly the victor.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Just read on CNN.com that the UK is blaming social media (facebook etc) for the riots & considering a blackout of such services for the safety of the people. I've read at least one thread on SB from a guy who lives in the UK, scary stuff. Just doesn't seem right to violate free speech in order to "protect". Hopefully he will still be able to keep us posted on here...
Free speech? In the United Kingdom? Ha!

Please don't assume that just because the United States has a constitution guaranteeing freedom of expression that other countries are the same.

Blacking out the services doesn't infringe on what's not there. Have a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#United_Kingdom

No rights for terrorists, UK or USA.
That'd come in right handy if someone accused you of being a terrorist, wouldn't it?

·
Patiently Waiting
6,086 Posts
As if that would work. All they'd (rioters) need to do is go steal a couple of walkie talkies and then it's game on.

Seriously, our 'leaders' aren't that bright are they? Knee jerk reactions are what they're best at.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
What if the same situation were happening here in the US? I'm not condoning rioting by any means, but severing several forms of communication in the US seems to me that it would inflame the situation.
The situation is exactly the problem. The UK is tiered of being treated like Euro Trash, and America's yes boy.

They are a culture with heritage older then our very Country. They have national pride, and expect their leaders to answer to them first.

Sadly the world bank owns them, their Government is puppet, and they are all but forgotten.

They need to riot. They need to burn down city hall, torch the mall, and level the banks. THEN maybe they will be noticed.

The entire world is filled with people sick of being neglected by their representatives. World banks, and World Currency DOESN'T WORK, if countries aren't independent and self sufficient. It's Economics 101.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would never trade freedom for security.

I'd use Ham radio on auto repeat in a remote location, and monitor it from afar.

Those riots might be ugly, and unpopular but they happened for a reason. That **** storm's blame falls on their Government, not ones ability to organize.

Terrorism and Patriotism depends on which side your on, and more importantly the victor.
Exactly my point crutch. They're blaming the flies for the garbage...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I would normally get on a soapbox with that statement, but my signature Quote sums it up. How can you say giving up basic freedoms is ok. We've already given enough away. Hopefully, someday we as a people will change the political scene and actually demand some back.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/08/11/london.riots.social.media/

Here is one link to a story about it. If it happens in the UK it won't be long before it happens here under the color of prevention and safety and probably for the children too. We haven't seen flash riots of the scale of what has happened in the UK, and I am sure that someone somewhere with the power to do something has probably ran the what-ifs and decided that preventing mobile social media will prevent flash riots.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Listen guys. The Media is trying to sway all of you. They are showing the horrible crimes the rioters are doing.

YES! They ARE horrible! But when you push people to the edge, you can't complain because their extreme isn't to your liking.

When the Government says "the problem is their ability to organize, or express their disapproval" then you no longer have freedom.

·
Breathe Easy
214 Posts
My guess is that .gov in the UK will get in touch with facebook and try to shut down certain facebook groups citing that they are "aiding domestic terrorism". It wouldn't be hard to locate those groups that are helping get the word out to the "troops" on the ground.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/08/11/london.riots.social.media/

Here is one link to a story about it. If it happens in the UK it won't be long before it happens here under the color of prevention and safety and probably for the children too. We haven't seen flash riots of the scale of what has happened in the UK, and I am sure that someone somewhere with the power to do something has probably ran the what-ifs and decided that preventing mobile social media will prevent flash riots.
I almost hope that it does.

·
all is ... well but here
291 Posts

funny how quick you are willing to put labels on people and the sites they use ..... example Department of Justice lists survivalists along with terrorists groups ......... no rights to anyone with the labels http://publicintelligence.net/depar...alists-constitutionalists-in-extremism-guide/

so you think they should shut this site down and hunt down people who have posted here..........funny in Germany people thought they were doing the right thing when they turned in jews it was there duty it was worth the trade off...........
(i guess history can repeat it self)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
They won't black out social media. They will use exactly the same trick LAPD used to stop the LA riots. During the LA riots... up till Thursday of that week every single news station focused on stories that showed the rioting and looting... the more shooting and looting the better. Then, come noon Firday they threw the switch. Suddenly no matter what station you turned to there wasn't a single image of rioting. There were only interviews with community leaders talking about the riots 'being over", images of neighborhood groups cleaning up the streets AFTER the riots... and pictures of national guard and LAPD patroling AFTER the riots were over. It was pure BS... the riots ran strong all weekend... but by acting like they were over on the news people started to think they were over... so the riots ended.

This was an effective tactic... but it got a lot of people hurt. Numerous people bought into the media presentation of the riots being over and the streets being safe... so they drove into the danger zone... got pulled from their cars and beaten robbed or killed.

Good for LAPD. Bad for the people who got hurt by the media hoodwink.

It came out later the LAPD got the media to agree to stop airing riot images and collude with this strategy. Good bye free press.

·
all is ... well but here
291 Posts
sorry if i got on the drama soap box there ......just censorship and taken away free speech in a social media sites for security (like this site) gets me soo mad.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither................................................................. Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
What they are saying is that the rioters organised themselves through Blackberry messenger and Twitter. The later can be traced by detectives but the BM is totally private. The BM is what they want to open up, so they can trace the scum that was wrecking our shops and homes.

In a real disaster like 7/7 all mobile networks except Blackberry where closed down for the emergency services use only.

Iv never been an avid user of a mobile phone or twitter/bm so it wont change me, infact my usual use for my phone is less then £20 per year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts