Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something was wrong last night. Like you couldn't breathe or nothing was there to breathe. Little girl who works at the store said she was having a hard time breathing, as well. Went and found her manager and said she doesn't look good, You need to put her on the bench for a while and watch her.

Found this: (Not an explosion, but a huge plume along the entire coast)

I have no clue what is going on. Might be nothing at all? it seems to be affecting people some.

Might be someone here does.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still digging around. Found this:

http://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2010.13

Earth emits a burst of carbon monoxide (CO) a few days before an earthquake, according to geophysicist Ramesh Singh. He and co-workers from France and the United States report that this gas could be used as one of the precursor signals for an earthquake early warning system.

The scientists used data from an American satellite and analysed changes in carbon monoxide at different altitudes. "The carbon monoxide shows enhancement in concentration a few days prior to the earthquake," Singh said.
The researchers discovered the connection between CO emission and earthquake by analysing satellite remote sensing data collected around the time when a 7.6 magnitude earthquake shook Gujarat in western India nine years ago killing about 20,000 people and rendering thousands homeless.

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
Here is the live monitor. Dropped from this morning. Looks like Mendicino area now.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/chem/surface/level/overlay=cosc/orthographic=237.07,43.13,1204
As of right now (2:25pm CT) that is showing hundreds of square miles up and down the California coast. That would be a gigantic area for a quake.

Could this have anything to do with the large methane leak that started in November? I believe it's been plugged but the methane would take a while to disperse.

·
Grevcon 10
15,529 Posts
As of right now (2:25pm CT) that is showing hundreds of square miles up and down the California coast. That would be a gigantic area for a quake.

Could this have anything to do with the large methane leak that started in November? I believe it's been plugged but the methane would take a while to disperse.
Carbon monoxide is a product of methane burning in a low oxygen environment. Maybe natural breakdown at high altitude is enough to do the trick? You'd think carbon monoxide detectors would all be alarming if it made it to ground level.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are saying the large cloud came from fires burning in Africa now. The live feed is ground level and wind. Its not extremely elevated but its a cumulative gas so its wiping out the ability to use oxygen and its 7-10 days to make new blood. I would think it was setting off CO alarms, but being indoors may cut that down to none.

One problem though, the live meter is showing both ends of the san andreas are leaking a bit.

All I know is that wasn't normal. When things change, paying attention is the wise path.

35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure.

About 4 days at what its showing (3.1ppm/3,100ppb)

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Brew, I passed on that u tube and natureaisa report to a Retired Geophysics Professor friend who in turn sent them on to other colleagues. One wrote back with a little history lesson:

Dear Shawn,

Gas (of undetermined composition) was released up to 2 weeks prior to the San Simeon earthquake. This was probably due to a rise in water table as the result of increased deep thermal spring activity that started months prior to the earthquake.

Approximately 2 weeks (12/12/2003) prior to the San Simeon earthquake, a strong natural gas odor was observed in the Cambria Cafe, being strongest in the basement. The gas company was called and clarified it was NOT their gas. This continued until the earthquake. This particular building is astride one trace of the Cambria fault.

Midnight prior to the San Simeon earthquake, many large gas bubbles emerged off White Point in Morro Bay (along a possible extension of the Cambria fault) that resulted in a sailboat captain radioing harbor patrol in a panic thinking his boat would sink.

For several months (potentially as much as a year) prior to the San Simeon earthquake, flow increased in Santa Rosa and San Simeon creeks (Cambria's water supply) with essentially no rain. At the same time on ranches inland of Cambria, cool water springs ceased to flow and older inactive hot water sulfurous springs started to flow resulting in a rise in the water table.

Also, one half hour prior to the San Simeon earthquake, a sonic disturbance was perceptibly heard from Los Osos to Ragged Point, but only recorded on the CMB seismograph on Highway 1, immediately southwest of San Simeon creek. All branches of the military initially denied it was one of their planes, but added their aircraft cannot cause earthquakes.

People walking at San Simeon cove (Hearst State beach) reported continuous rumbling from the ground from the time of the sonic disturbance until the earthquake occurred. The Cambria fault defines the east portion of San Simeon cove.

At an SSA poster session immediately after the San Simeon earthquake, I recommended renewed gas monitoring as an earthquake precursor.

Shawn said that major quakes have either had, or not had, gas releases just prior. So this may not be the telltale signal.

His friend then mentioned that volcanic activity could be a cause.

Don't mean it isn't gonna hit, though... I did some serious shopping and filled all the tanks yesterday :D:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
"Approximately 2 weeks (12/12/2003) prior to the San Simeon earthquake, a strong natural gas odor was observed in the Cambria Cafe, being strongest in the basement. The gas company was called and clarified it was NOT their gas. This continued until the earthquake. This particular building is astride one trace of the Cambria fault."

I'm calling bull****.

Methane does NOT smell like natural gas. One has a scent injection one doesn't.

This is bogus.

Or California is fixing to fall off into the Pacific - and I'm ok with that too.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
"Approximately 2 weeks (12/12/2003) prior to the San Simeon earthquake, a strong natural gas odor was observed in the Cambria Cafe, being strongest in the basement. The gas company was called and clarified it was NOT their gas. This continued until the earthquake. This particular building is astride one trace of the Cambria fault."

I'm calling bull****.

This is bogus.

Or California is fixing to fall off into the Pacific - and I'm ok with that too.
So gasses emanating from the earth are always pure. No mixing of odors. And the people who reported the smells are all able to discern the different odors and identify what they are. What would be the natural response of someone smelling something unfamiliar in a building? Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you.
This info came from a Professor of Geophysics, and I trust him to pass on cogent information. I probably could ask him to dig up the original info and news reports, but with your attitude, frankly I don't give a damn.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'm calling bull****.

This is bogus.

Well yes a commercial gas well has no smell. But we are not talking about that methodology. This is a release upward through whatever funky water and minerals are underground. Think of it like this. You have a can of coke. there is CO2 on top over the liquid. But almost all of it is trapped within the liquid. It has no smell but when it comes out of the liquid it brings the smell of the coke up with it. Cali has a ton of funk deposits like the tar pits and sulphur springs. If the gas is getting squeezed out lower it will bring whatever smell is underground with it.

That site only shows 3 gases. All three were very active during the main portion of the event.

I was mainly focusing on low oxygen and high CO as an unusual sort of suffocation hazard event. But when you start digging you find the link to ground movement.

·
New and yet, old
2,795 Posts
I have never heard of this theory so I started reading. (I learned to do that after all my friends warned me about my first wife before we got married. That became a do your due diligence lesson when they turned out to be right)

This is from February 26:

https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/world/955

and this from February 29 (yesterday)

http://allnewspipeline.com/West_Coast_Massive_Quake_More_Signs.php

But, there are naysayers also:

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2923602/Seattle-seismologist-criticizes-false-earthquake-reports-unlikely-stories

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This one kind of tells the story. If it was a cloud coming from off the ocean, it would still show up over the water.

·
White Hat
2,519 Posts
Hello People!

Long time, no post.

Here's a link to the interactive map showing the huge carbon monoxide spike on the west coast. The spike was far too large to be human made, and it followed the contours of the coastal subduction zone.

The linked monitoring site is totally interactive, so you can zoom in, zoom out, rotate the globe to view the CO levels elsewhere, and step forward or back in time.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/0...ographic=-99.66,41.00,1106/loc=-92.491,19.848

Click on "earth" to bring up the menu. On the "Control" line, click "Now" to view current conditions. Click on the single arrows to go backwards or forwards three hours (forwards from now will show you projected conditions). Click the double arrows to step 24 hours at a time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts