Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a fellow with about 2000 pounds of yellow paraffin wax for sale.

He wants 75 cents per pound, which seems to be less than half the going rate for this stuff. The wax comes in 3 pound chunks. The minimum order is 500 pounds.

I am in for 500 pounds.

Shipping would be very expensive so Im not sure how feasible this would be if you were not local to NC but if you are will to pay for shipping, I would ship it.

I plan to drive to this guy in the next few weeks and pick up as much wax as I can get.

Is anybody interested?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wax...

Countryboy, I am just curious what on earth would one do with 500+ lbs of parafin wax?

Also, I was going to make some candles and such and was doing some comparison study between Beeswax and Parafin, they say that beeswax burns hotter and cleaner. They say the smoke from the Parafin is similiar to diesel exhaust.

Just an inquiry, nothing more:thumb:

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Countryboy, I am just curious what on earth would one do with 500+ lbs of parafin wax?

Also, I was going to make some candles and such and was doing some comparison study between Beeswax and Parafin, they say that beeswax burns hotter and cleaner. They say the smoke from the Parafin is similiar to diesel exhaust.

Just an inquiry, nothing more:thumb:

Good point.

I know nothing about wax, other than they use it in candles. And beeswax costs a lot more than 75 cents per pound from what I hear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just today before I made it to the forum this evening, I was looking at construction of Buddy Burners. I happened across a site that was listing the instructions on how to make them. The usual preparations were listed, cans, cardboard, etc., and a poster there chimed in and suggested that they suggest Beeswax for the toxicity concern. Because Parafin is a byproduct of petroleum products, it gives off a nasty for you smoke.

Sooo... I Googled Parafin vs. Beeswax to come up with the statement I share in my inquiry. And you are spot on Beeswax is some spendy stuff!!!! I have been searching for some raw unfiltered stuff, you can normally get it a bit cheaper. And filtering albeit a bit dirty, is relatively easy if you desire filtered quality, for lets say candles and such.

But with all being said, I am sure there is downfalls in application for using Beeswax, and where parafin is much more purposeful. Hmmmmmmm... now I must do some more research.:)

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
CB, if you do this buy would you mind picking me up 30 lbs. (10 blocks) of this? I believe that's $22.50. I can pay for shipping or pick up since we've already established with the mylar/absorbers that I don't live that far from you. Just let me know which you prefer.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CB, if you do this buy would you mind picking me up 30 lbs. (10 blocks) of this? I believe that's $22.50. I can pay for shipping or pick up since we've already established with the mylar/absorbers that I don't live that far from you. Just let me know which you prefer.

I can do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts