Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in base housing in Maine and with last weeks ice storm I got to thinking about heat. The power was only out at my house for a day but it started to get pretty cold inside. I have food, water, guns and ammo but no heat. How hard would it be to take a portable wood stove and run it inside? I wouldn't have it permanently attached as the housing office would throw a fit but would at least like to have one as a possibility for a more extended outage. Maybe one of the ones used in canvas tents? What are your thoughts?

2,288 Posts
A neat trick would be to make something like a portable outdoor boiler with a pipe that runs hot water to a heat exchanger in the house.....just run the pipe/hose through a window. You can't burn the house down because the fire is outside in the yard.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
Any wood burning stove would need to have a pipe running outside the house to vent the smoke. You would have to figure out how to run the vent pipe or die from smoke inhalation. Personally for portable use I would also suggest the portable catalytic heater.

2,288 Posts
He said he wanted to burn wood.
With an outdoor boiler the only thing entering and exiting the house is hot water.
If my boiler(which I don't use because its oil fired) wasn't so new when I bought this house I would likely have already replaced it with an outdoor unit that burns wood.
I juse seems like the right way to go. I'd still keep the wood stove too for when the power was out or I wanted to cook something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I never thought about catalytic propane heaters. Are they safer than wood burning? Originally I was thinking of just keeping one of these in the shed. http://www.cylinderstoves.com. Sorry, I don't know how to make a live link. I know many people around here have permanent wood burning stoves in their house but I don't know if the wall tent stoves can be run as safely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sure you could use your camp stove. Open a window and insert plywood The size of the opening. Cut a hole larger than your stove pipe and install a collar so the pipe does not make contact with the wood. A piece of sheet metal would be ideal. Then the hole for the pipe can be sized to fit the pipe. As long as you pull a good draft you should be fine. You'll want the pipe to rise above the peak of the house to insure a good draft. As with all fire stove be cautious always. I heated a trailer with an old sheet metal stove for a few years. You use to be able to buy at farm and fleet for around $35.00. Course that was in the seventies. They were just that too. Made from sheet metal.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I'd look at a wall mounted propane catalytic heater.Put the tank outside,run a line or hose in.
Side note,but a couple three or four Coleman lanterns burning put out a serious amount of heat,enough to keep a smaller house warm,plus you get light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts